transmission, more than clunk

jonas

hi, I'm having trouble with my DJ 2012 R/T, it has only 45000KM.

I know some topics here about the transmissin clunks when shifting, if this is only about the sound, mine has more than that.

The problem usually happens when the car is cold, like the first start in the morning or after 15 minutes shopping...... when shift from P or R into D, the transmission(i think so)bangs very loudly and the whole car shocked or is like jumping.  This won't happen after the car warms up.

everything is ok at R though, from P to R or any other gear to R, nothing happens... just happend at D.

i brought it to the dealer and they tried in the morning and said they found nothing, you know them....

any comments?

thanks

6 hours ago, larryl said:

Try to record it when it happens...

Maybe a motor mount?

but this only happens when the engine is cold and the 1st time shift. you shift the 2nd time, it's better, the 3rd time, nothing happens....

I notice that also and the dealer also noted to make sure the idle drops before changing gears from park into drive ( I always back into driveway). You know how sometimes your in a hurry and simply start it up and shift. For sure a loud clunk and a little jolt if not idled down when first started.

9 hours ago, probak118 said:

I notice that also and the dealer also noted to make sure the idle drops before changing gears from park into drive ( I always back into driveway). You know how sometimes your in a hurry and simply start it up and shift. For sure a loud clunk and a little jolt if not idled down when first started.

yes, i change the gear when the idle speed drops to 700rpm...

this also happens sometime when the engine is warm, for example, coming out of the shopping mall in 15 minutes, the car is still warm.

now i'm going to back into driveway also, because i found this happens more often from R to D than from P to D, this is why last ime I told the dealer to reverse couple of meters and shift to D.

Edited by jonas

• 3 months later...
I have same problem like yours:
my car history: gear shift hard some times during wither (more), some times in warm weather. Dealer had updated the software for the PCM, but not sure if there is any updates from about 2 years ago (when I got the last update). Generally, gear shift big bang disappear after update.
but now I got this bang badly again every time in this mild fall weather which is 20 degree C.

check my thread. had similar problem since first year. now Got it fixed: changed solenoid pack, I am really surprised Dodge's quality control or the part supplier's quality control!

Had this kindly issue for 5 and half years and finally broken to left me out of warranty. Thanks for Eagle transmission and Street Brother for help.

i figured out something : this only happens at idel speed 700rpm!

when warming up the engine, the idle speed starts at very high and then drops and stops at 700rpm for a while, then continue to drop to normal idle speed 500rpm. when you shift to D at 700rpm, it happens.

any comments? what should I tell the dealer?

Edited by jonas

10 minutes ago, jonas said:

i figured out something : this only happens at idel speed 700rpm!

when warming up the engine, the idle speed starts at very high and then drops and stops at 700rpm for a while, then continue to drop to normal idle speed 500rpm. when you shift to D at 700rpm, it happens.

any comments? what should I tell the dealer?

Same thing you just told us. And be prepared to hear "it's normal". Mines been doing it for almost 80,000 miles now. Still runs like a top.

• 5 years later...

I really hate to revive this old thread, but I have the EXACT same issue as the OP... Literally to a T. Going between R to D is absolutely the worst. It shakes the whole car and feels like something is about to break. But shift between them a couple more times and especially after driving, and it's smooth as can be. 

I have about 93k on my 2017 Journey 3.6L AWD. I don't know if I should call a dealer and ask about a reflash or update, get the transmission fluid changed, or take it to a transmission shop for diagnosis.

55 minutes ago, x_orange90_x said:

I really hate to revive this old thread, but I have the EXACT same issue as the OP... Literally to a T. Going between R to D is absolutely the worst. It shakes the whole car and feels like something is about to break. But shift between them a couple more times and especially after driving, and it's smooth as can be. 

I have about 93k on my 2017 Journey 3.6L AWD. I don't know if I should call a dealer and ask about a reflash or update, get the transmission fluid changed, or take it to a transmission shop for diagnosis.

well you are getting close to the 100 k trans service, i would let the dealership do the service and also tell them about whats happening as well,,, be aware changing the fluid and filter runs kind of high around 250-350 depending on your dealership, i would stay away from the jiffy lubes and the  others quick change places on their trans service they offer

I called my local dealership yesterday and described my problem to one of the service techs. He said it sounds like a software issue rather than fluid or mechanical. He said to flash the PCM would cost $163 including the diagnostic fee, but they couldn't get me in until almost July! ?

13 hours ago, x_orange90_x said:

I called my local dealership yesterday and described my problem to one of the service techs. He said it sounds like a software issue rather than fluid or mechanical. He said to flash the PCM would cost $163 including the diagnostic fee, but they couldn't get me in until almost July! ?

B.S.  You need to find a new dealership,,,,,,there is no reason they cant get you in within 2 weeks max, and you are almost at the req time to change the  trans fluid... i had mine changed at 60 k and then again at 100 k along with the coolant service and plugs as well,,,yes kind of pricey but well worth it............ preventive maintenance will help you get longer and better life out of your journey

On 4/5/2023 at 8:25 PM, 2late4u said:

B.S.  You need to find a new dealership,,,,,,there is no reason they cant get you in within 2 weeks max, and you are almost at the req time to change the  trans fluid... i had mine changed at 60 k and then again at 100 k along with the coolant service and plugs as well,,,yes kind of pricey but well worth it............ preventive maintenance will help you get longer and better life out of your journey

Ya I'm going to call another dealership. I'm thinking between the software update and fluid change I'm looking at about $400. I'll do the plugs myself as I've watched the video on it and it's not too bad considering how much they'd probably charge me.

• 4 weeks later...

Haven't had the funds to do the fluid change yet, but I am thinking of buying plugs and doing those very soon. I got the service history from the shop the previous owner frequented, and in the last 60k+ miles it hasn't had them replaced, if ever. I'm at 93,440 now and I know the mark is 96k on the v6, but I have hesitation shifting in the higher gears and also some hesitation in the low gears taking off from a dead stop unless I really get on it. I'm sure new plugs will alleviate most if not at of that.