Coil Packs keep going bad

bell

I have an 09 journey se 2.4L i have had it for just about 3 years now, i have had to replace all 4 coil packs 3 times now. The check engine will come on ill check the codes it'll say misfire in 1-2 cylinders (different each time) as well as crank shaft and cam shaft sensor. This happens about every 12-13 months, I know there has got be something that is causing the packs to go bad that fast but until they go bad the engine light doesn't come on and everything runs fine. Any information you can provide would be awesome.

What type plugs are you running ?  That little 2.4 demands "Only " the plugs that came factory , . I have problems with mine and found champions where put in it . It likes the copper plugs and they need to be changed at 30,000 miles . 

18 minutes ago, Dusty256 said:

What type plugs are you running ?  That little 2.4 demands "Only " the plugs that came factory , . I have problems with mine and found champions where put in it . It likes the copper plugs and they need to be changed at 30,000 miles . 

I just changed out the plugs when i did the coil packs, the copper plugs are what i just put in should i change them out with something else?

Is moisture getting into the spark plug tubes? Is the beauty cover in place? Power washing the engine? Haven't heard about this as a problem. I have iridium ngk plugs and haven't had any problems . My 2.4 runs fantastic.

Hank

i have the cover and have not power washed the engine, The corrosion was on the plug for the coil back not in the plug tubes. I got a glimpse of an article on google saying that if the coil packs keep going bad that there is something else wrong and the coil packs are just s symptom but it didn's have much more information than that

Add better branded spark plugs like NGK...personally I don't trust champions or those autolites. Also have you tried to test the spark of the coil pack to see if clear a gap of 30000volts they are inexpensive on Amazon about 10 dollars. And it will definitely show you whether or not your coil pack sparks can make the jump gap as well as give you a visual if it's firing consistently.

Also one last thought maybe you have a short in your wiring harness that leads to the coil packs. Good luck and keep us informed we truly appreciate it. 

Edited by Eduardo831

• 4 months later...
10 minutes ago, cstewrt said:

Any resolution to this situation?  I'm having similar issues on my 2009 2.4

Turns out it was the PCM and not the coil packs, I ended up having to take it to the dealership and have them run a diagnostic on it to figure it out. They wanted to charge me $500 to fix it plus the diagnostic fee. Here is a link to the company i ordered mine from and its actually $200 cheaper now than when i had to replace mine, go figure. Hope this helps

http://www.fs1inc.com/engine-computer-programmed-plug-play-2009-dodge-journey-05187426ab-05150523aa-2-4l-pcm-ecm-ecu.html?gclid=CjwKCAjwlrnNBRBMEiwApKU4PCjkzHR4IU7yRCV6MW7YVdVPNslIJOq1PP-1xsks_jVZ3H6Bd0S2qBoCQaYQAvD_BwE

Edited by Brandon Bella Bell

my daughters one coil pack was going bad on her caravan and  her regular mechanic  replaced it once also,then it went bad he replaced it again for free since the party was covered under his warranty then it started acting up again so she took it to him and by then it was running OK so he started checking the wiring and found the plastic connector from the wire harness that connected to the coil pack was shorting out on the inside of the connector,he replaced that connector and she never had any more problems with the coil pack.

Edited by 2late4u