drained battery

Tim

Hi new here,  had drivers air bag squib replaced 12/16 , drive car every day normally.  Car sat in garage for 2 days wouldn't start on 12/24 thought we left a light on, tried to get it jumped would not jump.  Put trickle charger on it and 2 hous later it started up.  Drove it for errands on  12/25 it would not start battery drained again, nothing open, on 12/27 charged it up took it in, battery tested good (new in oct)  but low, starter good (replaced in June) , my guy warranted out battery put a new one in.  Drove car on 12/28, 29, and 30.  Tried to start it today 1/1 battery so dead could not even adjust seat.  Put charger on, and car seems to be "on", charger clicks like trying to start, lights flash on and off, then clicking stops for a second, then starts again with lights going on and off, does this with or without key in ignition.  Key fobs are in house more than 50 feet from closed locked garage.  Tried to insert key and turn "off" car did not work.  Still cranking itself afraid to leave charger on since it can't charge if its cranking and may screw up charger or start up with no one there.  I am guessing that is the reason for the drained batteries.  But why now? 

We bought it new in 09, it has about 157000 miles on it. We do not go to dealer have a great mechanic right down the road has always done top notch work and stood behind it.   Air bag was done by dealer, because it was safety related and our guy could not get it.  Bill said they replaced clock spring as it was "open"  don't know what that is but we always had starting problems, every since the ignition recall was done over a year ago.  Car intrmittently will not start but will later or if put in neutral.  Dealer said it was not related to recall and could not locate problem.  Our guy cleans corrosion off contacts applies dielectric grease and we are good for a while, then he does it again for 10 bucks.  This draining battery never happened before air bag work.  and it has completely drained 2 batteries in a matter of less than a week.

well might be time to update and trade in and get a new car,great deals right now and what you might end up spending on repairing your 09 would be a good down payment on a new journey either way good luck and happy new year....P,S. also when ever you trade in they usually rape you on the trade so i wouldn't feel any guilt trading in to the dealer as they will be able to fix or wholesale your old car off anyways...

I am retired and cannot afford another new car, we are looking for a used one but it won't be a journey, this is just the latest in a long line of issues that started under warranty and per dealer are peculiar to the Journey, and we're "fixed " in later models.  Yet every time I take into the dealer there are at least 3 other journey owners in there, with newer models that have similar or same issues. It's pretty and roomy but thats all I will give it. I am hoping to trade it but when we were looking at a used chevy, dealer suggested we sell it on our own we might get more than he could offer us.  He had 9  on his lot, newer than ours that he could not give away, and he would wholesale ours if he took it.   I live in rural upstate NY and need something reliable,

that can handle snow, this car was never it.  

Our guy cleans corrosion off contacts applies dielectric grease and we are good for a while, then he does it again for 10 bucks.  This draining battery never happened before air bag work.  and it has completely drained 2 batteries in a matter of less than a week.   what contacts are you talking about? battery post?didnt 09 have the lifetime warranty?

Actually I looked it up, it was the ignition coil, we finally had him completely replace it on 10/15 and have not had to have him grease it since. I did not realize it was done that long ago. He would clean contacts, it was original to car.  He is on his way over to check it out and see if he can get it started.

Problem solved, my mechanic got it started, took it in started running through fuses and heard a faint clicking from way down behind and under the engine.   Traced it and it was a motor in the drivers seat that tips the front edge of the seat up and down.  It had a short and wss was draining battery trying to move seat, it was so hot he sad it could have started a fire.  He disconnected it and will order one for me if I want, but since seat still goes up and down, forward and back without it so I'm good.  

4 hours ago, Tim said:

Problem solved,  it was a motor in the drivers seat that tips the front edge of the seat up and down.  It had a short and wss was draining battery trying to move seat, it was so hot he sad it could have started a fire.  

You don't need the entire motor unless it has a Canbus connection (not likely). What you need is the switch, or the relay that drives the motor if there is one - simple troubleshooting to figure out what is delivering the current to the motor.

Edited by bramfrank