sickntired

sickntired

I am New here first post.

Problem Im not quite sure.

I have a 2014 Journey that I purchased in May of this year.

Four days ago I was driving on the freeway at about 55 mph and the car just shut off. Couldn't brake, turn steering wheel or put in neutruel.

I don't know whats up.

Could it be the push to start?

Engine issue?

Starter?

Alternator?

mind you the car battery seems to be great?

If anyone have any suggestions I would be greatly appreciated.

Sad

When I read the opening post I decided to visit the NHTSA web site to see whether this is a common issue or not, since I don't recall reading about it here or anywhere else, for that matter.

That site is a real hoot, by the way.  So many of the complaints are clearly classifiable as 'failure to read' and 'unreasonable expectations'.

It is apparently not unheard of, the most recent complaint for a '15 being posted 2 days ago, perhaps by the OP?

The consequences of the power outage seem to often be catastrophic, because owners don't understand that without vacuum the power brakes are 'manual' and require serious effort - and the same applies to steering.

The dealer may well not be in a position to resolve the problem, because an intermittent issue that leaves no failure codes is almost impossible to diagnose.  The key may be to try and replicate the conditions and settings . . . . but I suspect this will turn out to be a loose connection *somewhere* . . . . and THAT is the problem, because there are a lot of *somewhere* places in modern CANbus vehicles.  That is one reason to get extended warranties FROM THE MANUFACTURER for any newer vehicle.

But get it on the record and try and be as complete as possible in generating your service request.  You might also want to peruse the NHTSA web site so you are prepared to deal with the 'this is the first time it's ever happened' retort that is likely to be returned.

Edited by bramfrank

My extended warranty was rolled into my payment.  That being said, you should have still had the use of your brakes; albeit without power assist.  If you couldn't steer, the electronics would have had to put it in Park, which would lock the transmission.  You didn't mention the sounds of the transmission self destruction, so I doubt if this was the case.  You should have still been able to steer the car without power steering.  You need to finish your story.

Did you drift to a stop in the lane that you were in?

Did you try to restart the car?

Did any dash lights come on?

You need to bring the car someplace that has a code reader to see if any codes were thrown.  This will begin your search.

Could be as simple as a loose ground wire, but this, in itself, becomes a wild goose chase.

Edited by dhh3