DJ R/T is gone

Marius

Well, I guess it was a long time coming, but didn't see it coming as fast as it did. I got close to 91000km with it, with many bumps and bruises and definitely with a lot of headshakes to the dealer service levels and what's worse, corporate Chrysler CS.

To summarize the issues

Under 10k rear tires were bald

Hard shake under load brake or emergency brake on hwy were "explained" by repeated dealers as normal ABS

Sometimes around 30-40k we got a nail in the rear left tire, went to Costco for a fix, they found the suspension arm bolt 90% out of the socket. What's messed up though is until then I had a check up with "piece of mind" inspection done every 5000km with the oil changes. Sure enough, rotors were super warped - sorry buster, you're over 20k km, no go- even if aforementioned under 10k km rear tires bald, shake etc.

OK, after 3 different dealerships I found one that cared. They tried to fix

- left head

- cylinder #6

- tranny issues

- heads again

- tranny issues again...

I was all but ready to move on and into a 2015 Platinum F150 or Pathfinder when the sales and manager guy I had always been in touch with at this last dealership called me over for a special. And a special it was indeed. They paid off my Journey and some, and put me into a 0% Dodge Caravan R/T that feels, looks and drives nothing like a minivan.

Albeit the waste of time getting to this, being into a car that had 10km on board and drove like your Journey used to ...kind of makes up for the hectic last 4 years. If anyone in Vancouver is thinking of dealing with the same dealership it's Destination Chrysler/Dodge in North Vancouver. Tell them I sent you, Jason and Pablo are awesome guys to deal with.

Now ...let's build that Power Wagon :)

You have a great minivan. I assume you had an 09 or 10 journey. Those were terrible

Nope, 2012 one, had it not been for all the brakes, mechanical issues it would have died with me. I absolutely loved the car when I bought it. The subsequent issues kind of ruined it.

I plan on keeping this one for a while. 11,000 miles in two years. I recall (ABS) and normal service. That's it. I bought it new in June, 2014, and replaced the tires in October before winter set in. No regrets. But, I do miss my 2006 Jeep Commander. If I could find a low mileage 2009 Overland (last year for the Overland), I'd snatch it up, and someone could be driving my fine DJ!.

Lemons can be had in any product, any brand...had two Fords (Mustang and Thunderbird) that were repurchased by Ford under the "Lemon" law. Also, in my lifetime, have thrown away / returned many products that were just plain made or produced wrong...ever buy a bad carton of milk? It happens and I don't hold it against any company; no amount of quality control (good or bad) will catch all "lemons".

You guys are hilarious, I agree, the taste can be bad if both dealerships and Chrysler CS central drop the ball on the customer. It happened to me, and the blood pressure got pretty close to "pop" pressures for sure.

Commander is awesome, I just sold my '86 CJ7 because ...well, wife and kids and I need to adult more.

As a side note, my Mercedes just got written off and instead of buying a new car I went out and found a 2005 Dodge Durango, and I swear, it's the best Dodge Journey ever :)

Before I get run over by beliebers, I swear this thing hauls arse. 5.7 Hemi, just purrs, like the day it left the factory floor. It has a couple cosmetic things to address, a hitch to add, some new keys to order, but this is the DJs older, bigger, badder, better brother for sure. Leather interior, 7 seater... almost as good as a Commander, not as 4x4able as one, but the road manners are beyond fantastic.

I have a feeling it's going to be my new "project", the people/family, the boat, the "JEEP", the hunting quad hauler.

I plan on keeping this one for a while. 11,000 miles in two years. I recall (ABS) and normal service. That's it. I bought it new in June, 2014, and replaced the tires in October before winter set in. No regrets. But, I do miss my 2006 Jeep Commander. If I could find a low mileage 2009 Overland (last year for the Overland), I'd snatch it up, and someone could be driving my fine DJ!.

That's one low mileage DJ indeed. It's unfortunate I got such bad experiences with my own, and had I been driving it 100% of the time, I'd blame it on myself -very lead footed over here - but this was the kids hauler, family mover and mostly driven by my dad/wife to and from school/work. Super gentle people, exceptional drivers. It just so happened that with mine a lot of bugs happened, notwithstanding the ridiculous suspension bolt unfastened that came from the factory and could have caused a catastrophic accident.

Anyway, everything's done and over with, the deal I got was totally worth it. I've moved on. Let me know when you find that Commander, I've been looking for one as well, 5.7 Hemi :)

We have a Used Car Dealer here that specializes in high end, low mileage vehicles. There was a Bentley Sport something or other (2 door) and was gone in a week! A while back, they did have a Commander. When I'm ready, I'll have them find me one. A month ago, there was a 2006/7 White Commander Limited on eBay with less than 500 miles on it. It was a prize for something. Asking price: $125,000! It was gone next time I looked.

• 3 months later...
On 4/19/2016 at 7:02 AM, dhh3 said:

We have a Used Car Dealer here that specializes in high end, low mileage vehicles. There was a Bentley Sport something or other (2 door) and was gone in a week! A while back, they did have a Commander. When I'm ready, I'll have them find me one. A month ago, there was a 2006/7 White Commander Limited on eBay with less than 500 miles on it. It was a prize for something. Asking price: $125,000! It was gone next time I looked.

125000 for a Commander?

Oh wait, that's an investment, being so low KM, it's probably going to be displayed forever and price will continuously go up.

For that money you have options, a lot of options. :)

• 1 month later...
On 2016-04-10 at 3:49 PM, Marius said:

Hard shake under load brake or emergency brake on hwy were "explained" by repeated dealers as normal ABS

I got the same issue with our brakes. In city and speed below 80km/h they are fine the second we hit the highway any braking as speed of 80km/h+ or hard braking seriously vibrates. I can almost stop it if I brake very slowly after some time but the minute I have to hit the brakes fast even for a few sec the vibration starts.

Did you ever get an answer for that?

2 hours ago, DeadDred said:

I got the same issue with our brakes. In city and speed below 80km/h they are fine the second we hit the highway any braking as speed of 80km/h+ or hard braking seriously vibrates. I can almost stop it if I brake very slowly after some time but the minute I have to hit the brakes fast even for a few sec the vibration starts.

Sounds more like warped rotors or rotors that are contaminated to me.

4 hours ago, DeadDred said:

Ether replace the rotors or have them turned. They are warped.

i always go new with the rotors , they are cheap enough . did the front with new pads and rotors , both wagner for 150.00 . about to do the rears this week and will do they same. 

i dont consider brakes , struts and tire's anything more than consumables. i have had great luck with my 2009 beside oil and plugs the only other thing i have had done where all four struts and the brakes .. 

i am am very happy with mine