New Rubber...

TX_CZ_Dad

25k miles on our Journey SXT Blacktop and the right rear found half of a box cutter razor blade yesterday. The tires have been less than favorable in every performance category that I can think of, and are thus due for replacement. (Wouldn't give the Solus KH16 anything more than a "4" out of a possible 10.)

Anyway, what I own is a 2014 Journey SXT Blacktop edition. The one that comes with the goofy P225/55R19 wheel size. Scouring the net over the last 24 hours has me looking at Continental TrueContact in correct sizing. (The Pirelli Cinturato seems to have less than favorable reviews in comparison.)

None of my local "name brand" tire shops have what I need in stock, and thus I am ordering from TireRack and having the tires drop-shipped to NTB or my Dodge Dealer to have them installed. (Will having NTB install void any part of my Dodge bumper to bumper warranty?)

Anyway, what I'm left wondering is; could I get to a slightly better tire if I went with a P235/55/R19 or P235/50R19? What is the largest footprint I can fit into my stock 19"-clad SXT? Will a P255 fit inside their respective tubs, and stay on the rim at 80mph?

Any recommendations on tires? Again, know about the Continental TrueContact and Pirelli Cinturato, but only because of the last day's previous research. I'm still pretty naive when it comes to tire technology. Employees at my local (Now-Bridgestone-owned) Pep Boys were pushing me towards their only in-stock tire available; The Falken Ziex… Go figure. (Which I just don't know about.) A good buddy of mine was suggesting Michelin, but every review I have read in the last day that mentioned that name, basically said "X Tire is SO MUCH BETTER THAN MY MICHELINS/BRIDGESTONES!!!"

I'm looking for something that will handle exceptionally well in wet weather conditions. Our roads here in Central Texas SUCK! A "smooth" ride is subjective, and I already have a factory stiff suspension; so buying tires for a "smooth" ride is irrelevant. This vehicle will more than likely never see snow, and handle little to no ice in it's lifetime. I would like to have something that keeps it's wits about it when a "spirited" foot hits a pedal and punches it through the floor. (OEM Kumho's just spin.) But I also do not need a full-on performance tire, as this is really just a shuttle for my little one, and will rarely if ever get "pushed."

Someone help me. Too many options, and I don't have a clue which way to go. My head hurts, and I still need to get this vehicle back on the road in a couple of days. Lol.

so much has been written on here about tire size but several have had the 255-50-19 mounted on their crossroad journeys so you should be good to go. different size tires will not void your warranty but you might have some problems getting them mounted as a lot of tire shops will only replace with what the manufacture recommends for the vec... check out the forums for pics on your questions as they have pics of them installed on a journey. i will be doing the same come spring time as of right now i have about 31500 on my 2014 crossroad and the Kumos are about half or a little more wore down.... trying to decide if i want to go to the bigger size or stay with the rec size as what they look like doesn't really bother me and going to the max size might be a problem down the line not sure......read this post for pics Finally, My Crossroad Looks Like The Chicago Show Crossro...

Edited by 2late4u

The above thread link is mine. I installed 255/50R19 Bridgestone Dueler H/L Alenza Plus, an 80,000 tread life warranty. I have a Crossroad, and my wheels appear to me, at least when I compared them to the Journeys with 19" wheels lined up at me Dealer's, to have a slightly deeper dish. They stick out farther, pushing the tires outward. I can not get my index finger nail between the tire and the bottom bracket the holds the spring on the front strut. This being said, I do not know if these tires would fit on the other 19" wheels because they seem flatter to me; they might rub. The local Tires Plus did question the size, but I confirmed to him that Dodge had this size tire mounted to the red show Crossroad back in 2014. They fit, but barely. The back is not a problem. These tires perform flawlessly in both snow and rain. No hydroplaning because of the tread design.

Edited by dhh3

Appreciate the input man. After doing some math, it seems that 245/50 is the CLOSEST combo to the stock 225/55 in terms of overall size. (Tire is 1.25mm smaller.) With 255/50 being the next closest at +3.75mm.)

For some reason, I just don't see 255's fitting without rubbing with my OEM rims. I'm still waiting for my local Dodge dealer to call me back on whether or not my warranty is going to allow me deviate from OEM tire size or not. If the answer is "No" then my mind is already made up since the market for 225/55R19's is so "vast." The main reason for wanting to change size is to expand my options to a better performing tire.

i have been looking and tire rack have some 245-55-19 bridgestone

DUELER H/L 422 ECOPIA

listed for 139.20 plus shipping they come with rd haz for free. don't know why but the same size listed above them at full price same tires. sounds like a great deal if you need tires now..
Edited by 2late4u

• 1 month later...

Appreciate the input man. After doing some math, it seems that 245/50 is the CLOSEST combo to the stock 225/55 in terms of overall size. (Tire is 1.25mm smaller.) With 255/50 being the next closest at +3.75mm.)

For some reason, I just don't see 255's fitting without rubbing with my OEM rims. I'm still waiting for my local Dodge dealer to call me back on whether or not my warranty is going to allow me deviate from OEM tire size or not. If the answer is "No" then my mind is already made up since the market for 225/55R19's is so "vast." The main reason for wanting to change size is to expand my options to a better performing tire.

Did you hear back fro. The he dealer? I'm in the same boat with the 19" rims, I've only got 16k on the journey and contemplating getting rid of the Kumos. They are just terrible. I was also looking at the continentals and the Bridgestones. Just wish we had more options. I LOVE the Michelin defenders I put on the caliber.

• 1 month later...
  • 10 months later...

Hit 23,000 miles and decided I couldn't stand the khumos any longer. Went with. Michelin Premier LTX. So far they are great! Worth the little extra money. Feel like I'm driving on a cloud. Ride seems a little stiffer.  Lot less road noise too. And they have a little aggressive look to them. A lot better then stock. They were starting to feel like they were getting really soft. And the sidewalks looked to me like the tires had no air in them. Made the car ride terribly.  

IMG_1074.JPG

IMG_1109.JPG

IMG_1110.JPG

Edited by Jstmahoney

• 1 month later...

UPDATE!! 

I've had these tires for about 2 months now. I've been having a shimmy in the steering after you hit 65-70 and on up. This start d AFTER the tires were installed. Frustrated, cause I knew I'd have to take them back to figure out what was wrong with them. I checked out the rims and noticed these low lifes stuck the new weights over the adhesive foam. Took it in the next day and explained the issue as some weights had fallen off. They rebalanced all 4 tires and I was in my way. Two exits up th freeway I turned around and went back. Not any better. Went back and talks to the guy that  supposedly balanced them. He told me that he had balanced all four tires, and that if I had an issue I need to get an alignment and check suspension. And that it was not likely I have a defective tire. Had the alignment done at the dealer and everything else checked out while performing  oil change. The back rear tire was a little off.  Picked it up still having the same issue . I took it back to the tire shop a few weeks later.  I let them know that  I had the alignment done and the cars ok, there's gotta be something wrong with the tires. They said they'd throughly check it again and let me know. They came back and told me that the rear driver side  Tirehad a small nail in it and it was unrepairable and they ordered a new tire. They also said that the front tire was way off banance. As another weight had fallen off. Took it back days later once the replacement tire came in.  I told them again about the issues that I had, The kid at the counter Kind of gave me a little attitude and a comment about how he balanced my tires before.  And for the second time change the subject to how long of you had the car how many miles on the car and so on. I tell them it's 3 years old I bought it new it had 24,000 mi on it it's not the car the issue started AFTER the tires were installed. So again I pick up the journey and drive home. Same issue! For fear of losing my temper I go home to cool off. Slept on it and descided to call the manager. I explained to him my issues and that I would rather just get a refund and return the tires. He was very nice and let me know that was fine and he'd  research what was going on. No I'm waiting for new tires to come in! I went with. Bridgestones instead.