Battery Died... now check engine light

ckl

Wife called me last night saying that she couldn't start the car. So I drive over there and found that the battery didn't have enough juice to crank the engine. After a couple of tries, the battery goes completely dead... meaning no courtesy lights... nothing.

So I jump the car... While this is not the first time I've jumped a car, I noticed that the Journey takes a lot of juice to crank the engine... almost to the point where the jumper car could not provide enough juice. So I waited a minute, then turned the key again and finally, the Journey slowly cranked and managed to start. It ran fine after that so I disconnected the cables, let the engine run for 10 minutes then drove 20 minutes to get home.

When I get home, the wife tells me the check engine light is on. Great! Another problem. So, before I go into that, I pull out the trickle charger expecting to charge the battery back to 100% When I hook up the trickle charger, it tells me the battery is 100% already... Is this possible after only 30 minutes of driving?

So now I go on to tackle the check engine light. I hook up my OBDII code reader and go to read the codes, it says ERR. Try again, it says ERR yet again. At this point I figure out that the Journey is fighting me in some spiritual way. So, spiritually I thought to myself, I'm going to friggin sell you if you don't cooperate. So next I try the "turn key" trick. It must have read my mind because it vomitted the codes on the display. I got codes P0562 (battery voltage low) and a P0957 (Autostick circuit low).

I'm guessing the P0562 is thrown due to the battery drained, but what is this P0957? Would that be caused by a drained battery as well?

So naturally, if the code reader cannot connect with the car, I cannot reset the codes. Anybody know where I can go in Canada that can reset the codes for me without having to pay? Or maybe which fuse to pull to do a reset?

Oh. I drove the car around when I got home and nothing seemed out of the ordinary. Shifts fine in auto mode and also in manual mode... If that's what autostick refers to.

Thanks.

Edited by ckl

The low battery voltage code is common after a dead battery. The Autostick code P0957 is likely a glitch related to the battery condition, especially if all transmission functions are normal. Is your battery original? If so, replace it - after five years and a complete drain, it is done. When you disconnect the battery to replace it, all the codes will then be erased.

Thanks.

I borrowed my friends more advanced ODB reader and cleared the codes and confirmed that they didn't come back. The battery in the Journey is original and the car was bought in 2009... so yeah, it's time to change the battery!

• Official Dodge Support

Thanks.

I borrowed my friends more advanced ODB reader and cleared the codes and confirmed that they didn't come back. The battery in the Journey is original and the car was bought in 2009... so yeah, it's time to change the battery!

ckl,

Getting 5 years on the original battery isn't bad at all!

I'm in a similar position, battery isn't original but it's done it's job.

Good to have this replaced now as well as to avoid having to worry about this sort of thing during the winter months.

• 2 years later...

I got the same situation this week. Throwing P0562 after multiple jump starts. My battery is original 2009. The Web lookup for this code leans more toward alternator trouble. They say dead battery is misdiagnosis.  Funny thing is, the "battery" icon doesn't even light up on the dash. Its always the MIL light.  My charge voltage is 14V when DJ started. The alternator light never comes on.  I too, thinks it's all battery

1488541944283-353187104.jpg

Edited by weasey31
Added pic

one thing i learned at a young age when i lived in Michigan every year put in plugs, points, and condenser   and check the plug wires change them every two yrs and also check the battery with a load test every year.Well things have improved over the yrs and things last a lot longer now days BUT i still replace my battery every 3 yrs at least, as i dont want to have to do it in bad weather as always is the way it happens so i dont get stranded.... as the old commercial says you can pay me now or pay me later but you are going to pay.....