When you say side panel are you referring to the door panel? If so it an easy process...just a few screws and clips and it comes of easy. But I guess it depends on how handy you are.

Subwoofers require an amplifier. If your trying to add a sub without adding an amp it wont work. The OEM amp might have an output for a sub. You will need to check into that. It your trying to tap into the rear speaker wires to add a sub the amp wont be able to handle the ohm load drop and you will probably harm the amp. There are ways to use the OEM radio even with aftermarket amps. I would recommend going to your local Car Audio store and ask them how it can be done. This is one reason why I dont like the newer Journeys. All the electronics in the vehicle are operated through the OEM radio and adding an aftermarket system is more difficult for a DIY person. Everything else especially the 3.6 Pentastar motor is far better on the newer Journeys though.

Thank you so much for your quick reply. I'm new to all of this and I'm really racking my brain trying to figure it all out. Any recommendations at all how to put in some subs without tearing off the entire side panel.

I can certainly help you here (I install subs in all of my cars with the factory stereo), but I need to know which stereo you have.

@Lobitz68

I am not car stereo savvy at all. How would I know if my DJ has third row speaker wires? I have a 2011 R/T (US version). Can I check the build sheet or window sticker? I have the RB5 with satellite and Nav. I would be interested in mounting some speakers in the back if the wires are already there.

Nice to see a fellow connoisseur. I love my smoker and my mash tun! Nothing better than a rack of cherry smoked ribs with a pint of home brewed porter or IPA to wash it all down.

Peace.

@Lobitz68

I am not car stereo savvy at all. How would I know if my DJ has third row speaker wires? I have a 2011 R/T (US version). Can I check the build sheet or window sticker? I have the RB5 with satellite and Nav. I would be interested in mounting some speakers in the back if the wires are already there.

Nice to see a fellow connoisseur. I love my smoker and my mash tun! Nothing better than a rack of cherry smoked ribs with a pint of home brewed porter or IPA to wash it all down.

Peace.

There are no speakers in the back, thus no speaker wires in the back.

jkeaton is correct. If you had the upgraded stereo (Alpine?) there would be a paper sub on one side, but no speaker feeds. You would have to tap the wires behind the dash or at one of the door speaker locations using an LOC. The one I typically get is able to be turned on without running a remote wire all the way to the battery with a switch, making it much easier...

@Lobitz68

Peace.

Yum- ribs and beer. I'm in!!!!

Yum- ribs and beer. I'm in!!!!

+1

Dodge Journey meet! Road trip! :hyper:

I think this is a great idea, actually. Other forums I've been on (especially the Z forums, which there doesn't appear to be one for the Journey) often have group meets...especially the Chargers and Challengers. I'd be willing to drive anywhere within a 1,000 miles or so of here (ie: pretty much anywhere in New England/Maritime area) for a Journey group meet/weekend.

+1

I think this is a great idea, actually. Other forums I've been on (especially the Z forums, which there doesn't appear to be one for the Journey) often have group meets...especially the Chargers and Challengers. I'd be willing to drive anywhere within a 1,000 miles or so of here (ie: pretty much anywhere in New England/Maritime area) for a Journey group meet/weekend.

I would love to also but it depends on where its at. From what ive seen here most of the people are in Canada.

I say we meet in Detroit Michigan. Timing and scheduling is key for everyone certainly. Anyone on this forum from Michigan and willing to set it up? Sounds fun to me. Warm season preferred. Maybe a DJ tailgate at a Tigers game? Beer n ribs anyone?

Peace.

I say we do it in Colorado!!.....Any where we do it is gonna be far for everyone except the person that lives in that state. Doing it during the big SEMA Car show in Las Vegas would be good too!!

• 3 weeks later...

I Just bought a 2014 JOURNEY SXT, I Replace all 6X9's with KICKERS 6X9 and i was looking for a Factory AMP to Boost the sound I DON"T want to ADD an aftermarket AMP..Is this Possible to ADD a Factory AMP..thank you

It's certainly possible, but just because it's a factory amp does not make it the correct amp to power the speakers you purchased. Also, it would be far cheaper and much better quality to go with the correct aftermarket amp rather than try and figure out how to make the sub par factory one work...

Hey!

If you replace the speakers with 2 Ohm speakers, like the Infinity ones, you'll get more power out of your car stereo amps. You can check them out here http://www.crutchfield.com/S-vJSwuLvWgvb/shopsearch/infinity_car_speakers.html?awcp=1t2&awcr=40403339963&awdv=c&awkw=infinity%20car%20speakers&awmt=e&awnw=g#?nvpair=FFCategory%7C%5Brank399%5DCar%20Speakers&avf=N , or just go to Crutchfield.com.

Infinity speakers are very high fidelity, having a crossover and separate speakers for high and low.

Hey!

If you replace the speakers with 2 Ohm speakers, like the Infinity ones, you'll get more power out of your car stereo amps. You can check them out here http://www.crutchfield.com/S-vJSwuLvWgvb/shopsearch/infinity_car_speakers.html?awcp=1t2&awcr=40403339963&awdv=c&awkw=infinity%20car%20speakers&awmt=e&awnw=g#?nvpair=FFCategory%7C%5Brank399%5DCar%20Speakers&avf=N , or just go to Crutchfield.com.

Infinity speakers are very high fidelity, having a crossover and separate speakers for high and low.

Yes this is true but some amps cant handle the drop in Ohm Load and Im guessing the stock amp wont be able to handle it. It will work in the beginning but eventually will blow and the magic smoke will come out and you cant put it back in.

Yes this is true but some amps cant handle the drop in Ohm Load and Im guessing the stock amp wont be able to handle it. It will work in the beginning but eventually will blow and the magic smoke will come out and you cant put it back in.

I bet you see a lot of that "magic smoke" in Colorado nowadays! :lol: