2014 DJ won't start after replacing battery

I need help.  My 2014 Dodge Journey was having trouble starting the other day so I purchased a new battery and decided I could change it myself.  It is 10.4 degrees fahrenheit out so I understand that might be an issue however I thought the new battery would take care of that. The engine continues to turn over but wont catch. Can anyone offer advice as to what I can do?

I tried plugging it in overnight and that didn't help.

Thanks,

Jay

If its turning over but not catching the battery is most likely not the issue.  Couple of questions,

1: is it turning quickly or slowly?

2: how much gas is in your tank?

3: any check engine lights.

with the extreme cold it’s possible your fuel line froze.  You could try putting some Heat additive in the tank, but if fuel isn’t flowing it won’t be much help.  I know in Chicago it’s going to be above freezing this week.  Hopefully it will be by you too.  If its above freezing and the car starts, add fuel line additive (Heat or any freeze preventive) fill up and drive for awhile.

if it still won’t start, could be any number of things, fuel pump, sensor, just about anything.  If the check engine light is on have it read so you get the code, that’s at least a good starting place.

good luck!

Thanks for replying. I just went out to check the lights and gas level.  I must have put on the emergency break while changing the battery. When I released it the car started right away.  Didn't think that would affect the starting the car but I restarted 4 times afterwards with no trouble.

Thanks,

Jay

On 1/7/2018 at 6:46 AM, JayD said:

Thanks for replying. I just went out to check the lights and gas level.  I must have put on the emergency break while changing the battery. When I released it the car started right away.  Didn't think that would affect the starting the car but I restarted 4 times afterwards with no trouble.

Thanks,

Jay

This is a totally new one to me. I have never heard of the emergency brake stopping a car from starting. If that is the case, have you always released the e-brake before starting?

Thanks for replying. I have never used the emergency break before on this car. 

I’m sure that it was what was .  I only pressed it because I had to jack up the car and take off the wheel.   I tried for hours to get the car to start .  Once I released it - the car started right away.  I don’t know why.  That’s just what happened 

The emergency brake has absolutely nothing to do with the car starting, trust us.  What happened was a coincidence.  Was the weather warmer then when it wouldn’t start?  Even if it was just around freezing it could have been warm enough to let fuel flow, let the pumppump, anything.  It was not the emergency brake, unless of course it was crushing a wireloom or something.

good luck!