You dealer is typical - an idiot who likes to talk to hear the sound f his voice.  Any connection between reality and his statements is purely coincidental.

Of course you can upgrade your vehicle with the uConnect nav (RB5) radio.  As long as you already have the 8.4" display it is a simple issue of substituting your non-nav (RE2) radio module with the RB5 - you can often find them on ebay or perhaps from a scrap yard - note that there is no single part number for these and that often units identified as nav are not, and that sometimes units identified as non-nav may well be equipped.  So buyer beware.

I do happen to have a spare nav unit sitting on my shelf that I purchased in case mine decided to suffer from the issue that prompted 2late4u to make his comments and (I know that I may well regret saying this) in the almost 3 years I've been driving my present Journey, have yet to experience any radio related problems . . . . I paid $800 pus freight and unfortunately the value of the US dollar has dropped a lot since I bought mine, so it is for sale for the same US$800 is someone wants it.

There is nothing wrong with the nav for the vast majority of users - there is, however a percentage of the most recent (post 2013) version that seems to suffer from a memory glitch - and FCA's handling of the issue simply makes matters worse for those impacted.

The memory glitch results in the unit refusing to recognise its detail maps, which drops the display into showing only major highways on the base map.  The solution is as simple as reloading the mapping - though if you have a unit subject to the glitch it is fairly likely to eventually recur, many users reporting that this happens on a close to annual basis, though, like anything else, that time varies greatly.  Reloading takes about 90 minutes.

FCA's solution for units under warranty is to swap out an affected radio with another, *refurbished* (read that as ' a deice which has failed on which they have reloaded the maps') device.  The problem with that solution is that all they are doing is to concentrate the population of affected units into their affected customers' vehicles - what they SHOULD be doing is to replace the navigator boards inside, since those are the components that are affected.

You can acquire the means to reload your navigator (whether it has dropped it's maps or not) with Garmin's latest mapping yourself, for free if you are diligent and tech savvy - there is a thread on the topic on the board explaining how - there are other options for those less tech capable or who want an out of the box solution they can apply.

Again, the likelihood of suffering a problem is less than what is being hyped and it can be self-resolved if/when you encounter it - of course, like any complex electronic device, it can fail, and not necessarily for this most commonly reported problem.

While I did the upgrade and I don't regret it - the decision is, of course yours to make.

13 hours ago, jkeaton said:

Save yourself the trouble...use waze on your phone.

In most jurisdictions you are subject to a ticket if you even touch your phone, but not for using the in-dash navigator, which also can provide traffic info, and does not need nor does it use cellular data.

20 hours ago, bramfrank said:

In most jurisdictions you are subject to a ticket if you even touch your phone, but not for using the in-dash navigator, which also can provide traffic info, and does not need nor does it use cellular data.

"Ok Google..."

"Hey Siri..."

S-Voice/Bixby

No need to touch the phone.