The early generation Journeys clearly use a different system than the newer ones, but there may be some common DNA.

You CANNOT self install the OEM remote start on the second generation Journeys because the controller needs to be programmed with the sales code and the controller mated to the BCM by the dealer before the vehicle can be started - so I suggest chasing down the installation instructions for the early generation Journeys and reading them through to see what's involved for yourself.

• 2 months later...

It’s a bit of an old topic here, but there’s a company named 12VoltSolutions who makes a plug and play Remote Start kit for the journey as long as you have push button Start. It uses your existing fobs; you’d simply hit “lock” 3x to Remote Start the car and the same to shut ‘er off. 

I’m not sure if push button start was an option or standard on the SXT, but if you’ve got it they might be a good option. My 17 Crossroad doesn’t have Remote Start and I’ll be ordering their kit next week. (Along with getting tint done :yup:

You’ll basically get a module and wiring harness in the mail, you plug it all in, it’ll do half the programming automatically, then you ship it back to them and they finish it and send it back to you again. Seems fairly straight forward. A friend of mine installed one of their kits on his 17 Explorer and he’s got no complaints. I’ll let you guys know how it goes when I get mine finished. 

• 2 years later...
On 11/8/2017 at 11:09 PM, JohnDiggle said:

It’s a bit of an old topic here, but there’s a company named 12VoltSolutions who makes a plug and play Remote Start kit for the journey as long as you have push button Start. It uses your existing fobs; you’d simply hit “lock” 3x to Remote Start the car and the same to shut ‘er off. 

I’m not sure if push button start was an option or standard on the SXT, but if you’ve got it they might be a good option. My 17 Crossroad doesn’t have Remote Start and I’ll be ordering their kit next week. (Along with getting tint done :yup:

You’ll basically get a module and wiring harness in the mail, you plug it all in, it’ll do half the programming automatically, then you ship it back to them and they finish it and send it back to you again. Seems fairly straight forward. A friend of mine installed one of their kits on his 17 Explorer and he’s got no complaints. I’ll let you guys know how it goes when I get mine finished. 

I'm looking to buy something like this.  The 12volt web site still has this for sale.  Has anyone tried this product on their DJ?  We have a 2015 DJ SXT with push button start.  Should work according to their site.

1 hour ago, rumblestripe said:

p.s. it also says that it's completely plug n play which is a major positive. Plus no dealer involvement necessary though it does mean sending the fob(s) back and forth once (with provided shipping labels) to complete the programming by 12volt.  

so if you have to ship the fobs back to have the rest of the programing done,guess you are without the vehicle for a couple of days,, i would just go with the oem remote start easier faster but a bit more $$ but no hassles with compatibilities of both system