Hello from another new guy

km-04

Hello everyone. Just took over a 2014 Journey SE from the wife. She wanted to move on to something else so i got the Dodge. I have just been looking for as much info as possible on the Journey. Not really sure what I want to do if anything, but it's nice to know your options. Well, I would like to upgrade the radio from the 4.3 to the 8.4 and put fog lights in, but both seem to be more trouble than they are worth, maybe I am reading wrong, who knows....

I will say, looking around online at different vendors, just a few recognize the SE with the V6, almost all default to the 4 cyl and you cannot change it. Most times I just pick a model with the V6 and move along, but it is a little irritating to see that be the norm rather than the exception.

Hi KM! Welcome to the forums! From what I've read they do seem to be more trouble than they are worth. I may have read incorrectly but I read there's a lot of electrical hurdles when changing to the 8.4 stereo. Given all of the electronics involved it would be smartest to get an estimate from the dealer first. The head unit itself is roughly $1300.00. If you can live without it, that's something I would skip. The foglight addition probably would be a lot easier, and I have seen a ton of kits on amazon and eBay, all of them look pretty simple to install. 

38 minutes ago, lmoore1436 said:

Hi KM! Welcome to the forums! From what I've read they do seem to be more trouble than they are worth. I may have read incorrectly but I read there's a lot of electrical hurdles when changing to the 8.4 stereo. Given all of the electronics involved it would be smartest to get an estimate from the dealer first. The head unit itself is roughly $1300.00. If you can live without it, that's something I would skip. The foglight addition probably would be a lot easier, and I have seen a ton of kits on amazon and eBay, all of them look pretty simple to install. 

Yeah, I agree, it does have a lot of hurdles involved. I know the dealer route is probably the safest but I am just so friggin cheap when it comes to putting money into anything other than my hobbies that the $1300 plus labor sounds like it not happening. The fog lights definitely sound more doable for me, heck once I look into it a little more it may be something I could do myself.

• 6 months later...

Another new guy here...lol!

I got a 2017 Journey add.  It has the cheap little am/fm CD radio, no unconnect,no Bluetooth.

If I got a unit out of a wrecked rig would it be a simple unplug the old and plug in the new thing?

What is this I hear about theft codes?  Will I need additional programming and is that plug n play simple?

We love this rig and plan on driving it till the tires fall off so might as well make it all it can be...lol!  Oh an by the way this is my wife's rig and "If mamma ain't happy ain't no body happy!" 

Actually my wife after 15 years still ROCKS!