17" wheels on a 2015 Crossroad

Browneyesvictim

I've been reading the posts about folks swapping out their wheels with different sizes- Most people going to larger wheel diameter. I am trying to go the opposite way, from the factory Crossroad 19" to a 17 wheel for studded snow tires. Specifically this is for a 2015 DJ Crossroad AWD V6. I thought all factory 17" wheels and larger would work, but they don't. All the fitment guides on the net say they will, and other members here saying they will... but alas; there is interference with the caliper when trying 17" factory steel wheels from a 2013 DJ. Even tried 18" Jeep wheels that had 44mm offset and still nogo!

I have bit the bullet and outsourced my problem to my local tire monger. He has in turn contacted his suppliers with this dilemma. One of them replied with a custom wheel that they claim will fit (specially noted in their records) to the Dodge Journey Crossroad with the larger caliper (post 2012). I placed the order and are due in today or tomorrow. My gut is telling me they wont fit! We shall see...

The wheel is an American Racing Estrella. I don't have any other custom dimensional information yet.

So, my question is- who is running a wheel smaller than 19" on their 2013 or newer DJ Crossroad with the larger caliper? Please post what you've got and pics!

Well all is good here! Great fit and they look great! Lots of room for the Caliper! Sorry about the nighttime picture.

These are Point-S studded snow tires. I believe these are made by Continental and branded for Point-S (formerly Tire Factory). They just came out and have the latest composition technology etc. and the reviews have been excellent. Having owned Nokians, I have become a believer in them but they were out of stock in this size.

wheel.jpg

• 11 months later...
On 1/5/2017 at 4:20 PM, Browneyesvictim said:

I've been reading the posts about folks swapping out their wheels with different sizes- Most people going to larger wheel diameter. I am trying to go the opposite way, from the factory Crossroad 19" to a 17 wheel for studded snow tires. Specifically this is for a 2015 DJ Crossroad AWD V6. I thought all factory 17" wheels and larger would work, but they don't. All the fitment guides on the net say they will, and other members here saying they will... but alas; there is interference with the caliper when trying 17" factory steel wheels from a 2013 DJ. Even tried 18" Jeep wheels that had 44mm offset and still nogo!

I have bit the bullet and outsourced my problem to my local tire monger. He has in turn contacted his suppliers with this dilemma. One of them replied with a custom wheel that they claim will fit (specially noted in their records) to the Dodge Journey Crossroad with the larger caliper (post 2012). I placed the order and are due in today or tomorrow. My gut is telling me they wont fit! We shall see...

The wheel is an American Racing Estrella. I don't have any other custom dimensional information yet.

So, my question is- who is running a wheel smaller than 19" on their 2013 or newer DJ Crossroad with the larger caliper? Please post what you've got and pics!

What do you mean by larger caliper? And how do I know if mines got them? I too am trying to fit my DJ w/17"wheels & snow tires... 2016 crossroad, 4 banger, FWD..

Any help is always greatly appreciated, winter snuck up on me this year. Guess I wasn't paying attention

12 minutes ago, OlDirty said:

What do you mean by larger caliper? And how do I know if mines got them? I too am trying to fit my DJ w/17"wheels & snow tires... 2016 crossroad, 4 banger, FWD..

Any help is always greatly appreciated, winter snuck up on me this year. Guess I wasn't paying attention

Yours has the larger calipers  They became standard in the middle of the 2012 model year.  Before that point you could use 16" rims.

The smallest wheels you can use are now 17" and you'll be amazed at how close they come to the caliper body

33 minutes ago, bramfrank said:

Yours has the larger calipers  They became standard in the middle of the 2012 model year.  Before that point you could use 16" rims.

The smallest wheels you can use are now 17" and you'll be amazed at how close they come to the caliper body

Hey thanks Frank! After a few conversations with O'Riley's, I was afraid of that. I'm curious what my chances are of correct fitment with a set of 17 alloys from an 09 DJ?¿? I found a set at a local scrap/recycling place near my pillow... $400 for the set, mild scratches included. Seems kinda pricey if you ask me

3 hours ago, larryl said:

09's wont fit a 2016 I had a 09 had 17" snows and they wouldnt fit my 2013 had to get new rims

Thanks for the reply Larry. Just out of curiosity were these the rims you tried? About to pick one of these up so I can see if it fits, unless you could tell me otherwise. Thank you sir...

Screenshot_20171215-121833~2.png

3 hours ago, larryl said:

Go ahead and try but the 09's had much smaller rotor's and calipers and the wheel would not fit my 13 Crew off of a 09 RT and both had factory 19"rims and I used 17" snows on both also....good luck

Wait a sec, if you used 17" on both... How did you do that? I had to pass on the 09's, after convincing the wife on a cheaper set of steelies. The contravercy of the 09's not fitting & the lack of time to get this s#!+ taken care of before the snow decides to drop. If only I had considered all this before time was of essence. Now I've just got to find a good deal on those... Thanks for all the help! May the weather be gentle to you all this winter...