Hard Shifting Transmission

Hello all! New to the forum. Just purchased a brand new 2016 Dodge Journey SXT black on black (black top edition). Only had 61 miles on it and now has 1,500. It has already been in the shop due to hard, jerky shifting from 1 into 2 and 2 into 3 and downshifting into 2 and 1. There is no loss of power or surging. Since it is covered under warranty the garage flashed the transmission and checked the fluid etc for free but it still has the jerkiness to it and I'm not happy. This feeling will definitely cause problems down the road, less conveniently when the car is no longer under warranty. I think I'm right to say there should only be smooth shifting, anything else will just cause premature wear and tear. Thoughts? Side note: It shifts smoothly when I first start it up and drive around for a minute or two. After it warms up is when I start feeling it. My beautiful 2000 4.7 Durango shifts better!

7 hours ago, LifeIsAJourney said:

Hello all! New to the forum. Just purchased a brand new 2016 Dodge Journey SXT black on black (black top edition). Only had 61 miles on it and now has 1,500. It has already been in the shop due to hard, jerky shifting from 1 into 2 and 2 into 3 and downshifting into 2 and 1. There is no loss of power or surging. Since it is covered under warranty the garage flashed the transmission and checked the fluid etc for free but it still has the jerkiness to it and I'm not happy. This feeling will definitely cause problems down the road, less conveniently when the car is no longer under warranty. I think I'm right to say there should only be smooth shifting, anything else will just cause premature wear and tear. Thoughts? Side note: It shifts smoothly when I first start it up and drive around for a minute or two. After it warms up is when I start feeling it. My beautiful 2000 4.7 Durango shifts better!

mine shifts smooth up but has always had the hard downshift from 2. to 1 when stopping lightly.

that new of a car i would push the issue while under warranty .

well both of my journeys (2011 and now 2014)had the clunk when going into gear occasionally  but iv never had any hard shifting from higher gears. now every once in a while while driving or slowing down and then suddenly speeding up the trans might shudder while trying to pick which gear it wants but it doesn't happen very often, cant really remembering the last time it happened. hope your problems smooths out as i am quite happy with my journey..

4 hours ago, 2late4u said:

well both of my journeys (2011 and now 2014)had the clunk when going into gear occasionally  but iv never had any hard shifting from higher gears. now every once in a while while driving or slowing down and then suddenly speeding up the trans might shudder while trying to pick which gear it wants but it doesn't happen very often, cant really remembering the last time it happened. hope your problems smooths out as i am quite happy with my journey..

I am too. Just called the dealer and they're going to take another look at it next week. They said they can check for another update or so but in my mind I know they won't try hard because I'm not giving them a penny because it's under warranty. I'll be very pushy because transmissions should shift smoothly, any jerking over time kills gears.

16 hours ago, LifeIsAJourney said:

I am too. Just called the dealer and they're going to take another look at it next week. They said they can check for another update or so but in my mind I know they won't try hard because I'm not giving them a penny because it's under warranty. I'll be very pushy because transmissions should shift smoothly, any jerking over time kills gears.

Pushing 60k now and mine has had occasional hard shifting from day 1. I just learned to modify my driving habits to minimize it. 

• 3 years later...

I have a 2018 GT and I've noticed it's a bit jerky with hard acceleration from a dead stop, which is sometimes necessary in cases of suicide entrances to local highways. Slow to moderate acceleration is relatively smooth. I'm thinking it's just the way the 6 speed tranny is designed and that it doesn't do well when you have to nail the gas to quickly get up to highway speeds. I don't normally use the Autostick mode because I'm not experienced with it, but I'll have to give it a try and see how well it works.