"gate" message on dash display

Does anyone know where the sensor is for the rear hatch? I have a "gate" message on my dash display and can re-close hatch but message remains. Was wondering also if this was causing alarm to go off for no apparent reason?

I recently repaired the wire bundle from the body to the hatch but had no issues for several weeks until now. Did not have this issue before repairs and everything was working correctly after the repairs, except for the courtesy light in the hatch which has never worked. (bought used)

I did finally locate the "latched" sensor on the AlldataDIY website. It is at the latch assembly in the lift gate, but is separate from the electronic release solenoid. The cable must also run through the wire bundle I recently repaired so if the connection at the sensor is OK I'll likely have to pull the accordion boot off and check the wires again...arrrrrrrgh!

Pulled hatch inner trim panels off and located latch. Also discovered why courtesy light didn't work, it wasn't connected! When I disconnected the sensor wire the dash message went away so it is the sensor itself. Unfortunately the sensor is not replaceable by itself so I tried to find the latch assembly. Not available in local wreckers yards and dealer wants $283 + taxes! Guess it is going to stay disconnected until I find a used one!

• 5 years later...

For anyone looking for solutions to a "liftgate open" dash warning with it closed, the most likely cause is the relay/switch in the latch assy.. If that's not it, as others have mentioned, look for a damaged wire going into the liftgate and check the wires of the 2 wire plug into the latch switch. That plug wire touches a metal edge of the liftgate and should be taped over from the factory but if not, wrap it before you finish up.

If it's not a wire issue, as far as I can tell, there's no fuse for that liftgate relay/switch. The switch is an integral part of the latch assy. so you'd need a new assy.. You could live with it and remove the connector at the switch but when you keyless unlock, the system will re-lock if you only open the liftgate, you will have to open a side door to prevent re-lock.

If replacing the latch assy., the 3 bolts have loctite from the factory but the two bolts attaching for the interior plastic panel didn't on mine and they were a little loose so loctite those also. The part is about $135 on RockAuto and it's about 30 minutes to change out.