I'm guessing there are issues with the oil pressure sensor on the V6

bramfrank

As the regulars here know, I'm on my second Journey. The last had the 4 cylinder 2.4 litre engine and was fine. It handled Montreal's steep hills perfectly and had no issues on the highway unless I was trying to pull a quick pass with five people on board, in which case it was less than a rocket.

The current Journey is equipped with the 3.6 litre V6. It has been very reliable, with only one issue to date, which was a bad oil pressure sender unit.

This evening I was out and when I got into the vehicle and started I the check engine light came on - checking the gauges it became clear that the replacement oil pressure sender has failed - 80 psi indicated at idle - when I hit a bump it went to normal and then on the next bump it was again 'pinned'.

I know I'm not the only one to see a failure of this sort, but clearly, to have two of them fail in 18 months and about 16K miles implies a possible design or batch lot defect.

Just sayin'

had one go bad on my 2014 at about 40k had it replaced at the dealership glad i had the max lifetime warranty also he said it will be under a parts warranty for 2 yrs and unlimited miles for that part so wouldn't cost anything if it fails again within that time frame, other wise it cost me $107. for my deductible with my extended warranty ...never had any problems on my 2011 with the oil sensor traded it at 70 k for my crossroad....

• 2 weeks later...

Follow-up:

I took my car to my selling dealer last week, but it turns out that they won't give me a loaner vehicle and I live outside their shuttle service coverage, so, against my better judgement I went to the dealer near my home; the dealer that blew up the engine in my LHS and whom I had to sue to get them to pay for their damage. But they are in walking distance of my home and I knew that with 2 recalls AND the check engine light waiting at the dealership wasn't going to be practical.

On Wednesday (the 29th) I brought it in and the shuttle was nowhere to be seen - "he'll be back in an hour" they said. So I walked home and wouldn't you know it, clouds came in and the wind started blowing and the heavens opened up and I got soaked.

At 4PM I called to see if I could collect my car and they told me they were going to provide me a loaner (if they'd agreed to do this in the morning I wouldn't have gotten soaked and I would have had a productive day). Enterprise gave me a GM traverse - not the base model, but not the top of the line, either. Would I buy one? Nope. But that's another story.

On Thursday afternoon I went to get my vehicle - they had gotten a clean car and returned one with grease stains on the fenders and such - I suppose they fixed what had to be fixed and I went home, but noticed that the vehicle was riding (not running) rough and there were some strange noises from the front end . . . . .

This morning I cycled the display through it's features and discovered that the dealer had cranked up the tire pressure from the normal 37 psi I leave it at, to 42!!! No wonder it was handling rough and the front end was making noise - the tires were over-inflated and very stiff.

When I got home I bled out the excess air and thing returned to normal.

I wonder WHY they touched the tire pressure and I wonder why they inflated it to 42 psi all around?.

As the regulars here know, I'm on my second Journey. The last had the 4 cylinder 2.4 litre engine and was fine. It handled Montreal's steep hills perfectly and had no issues on the highway unless I was trying to pull a quick pass with five people on board, in which case it was less than a rocket.

The current Journey is equipped with the 3.6 litre V6. It has been very reliable, with only one issue to date, which was a bad oil pressure sender unit.

This evening I was out and when I got into the vehicle and started I the check engine light came on - checking the gauges it became clear that the replacement oil pressure sender has failed - 80 psi indicated at idle - when I hit a bump it went to normal and then on the next bump it was again 'pinned'.

I know I'm not the only one to see a failure of this sort, but clearly, to have two of them fail in 18 months and about 16K miles implies a possible design or batch lot defect.

Just sayin'

well as i said in my post ,that part should be covered for 2yrs and unlimited mileage in the U.S. , Canada might be different but you might want to check on if it was a covered part from the first repair. glad i had the extended warranty as it covers rentals also for any covered breakdown and since i was on a trip about 250 miles from home that rental was very helpful. P.S. i wouldn't use that dealership no way no how, of course hindsight it is easy to say that. glad you got it fixed and hope you have many happy miles down the road....

Edited by 2late4u

Yes, there are issues with the oil psi switches on the 3.6. Sets code P0520 and the oil pressure often reads 100 PSI with the engine off. As of yet I have not heard from the factory of any rationale behind this. I assume there was a huge batch of defective ones produced as was suggested earlier by BramFrank. I believe that to be accurate since the problem really did not begin to show up until late 2014/early 2015. Common to all 3.6 applications, not just Journeys. Most of the ones we replace are on the 3.6 Grand Cherokees since that is our perennial best seller.