Transmission Clunking Noise after Drive Train work

Cdncooler

Hey Guys,

I recently put in a new CV shaft and Outer Tie Rod. In the process, some transmission fluid came out. I bought a Mopar ATF+4 fluid and filled it up gradually until the level hit the cross hatch on the transmission dip stick. Since then I've been noticed "the clunks" more frequently. Once I turn the car on and shift between Reverse-Neutral-Drive, the clunk noise is heard. Sometimes when turning really slowly, I could hear the clunk coming as well. At first I thought its the CV Axle nut that needs to be retorqued or something but I don't think its the case as the mechanic did use air tools. Prior to doing the drivetrain work, the transmission fluid was in good shape/color. It's currently good weather here in Toronto, about 25 degrees, so its not cold. Kinda stumped to what the problem is. I'm going to go get an alignment soon, so I'll probably run it with some of the mechanics.

Car:

2009 Dodge Journey

2.4 L 4 Cylinder, 4 Speed Automatic

air tools are no substitute to torque wrench but i am sure that is not the problem, no mention on how many miles of the journey or if the trans fluid has ever been changed but considering your mention of fluid color i guess it hasn't been changed at all. did the trans ever clunk before the work? hey my 2011 and my newer 2014 both have clunked before and still do every so often when going from park to drive or reverse to drive not to othen ,but it happens to journeys once in a while never have i turned my wheels slowly and heard it clunk only when actually shifting the shifter. did you use a aftermarket cv joint or a mopar cv joint.good luck with what ever you find, i dont think you have any real problem that i would be worried about. you are probably just thinking that you are hearing it more now since you worked on it be sure to post back whatever you find out about your journey......

Edited by 2late4u

air tools are no substitute to torque wrench but i am sure that is not the problem, no mention on how many miles of the journey or if the trans fluid has ever been changed but considering your mention of fluid color i guess it hasn't been changed at all. did the trans ever clunk before the work? hey my 2011 and my newer 2014 both have clunked before and still do every so often when going from park to drive or reverse to drive not to othen ,but it happens to journeys once in a while never have i turned my wheels slowly and heard it clunk only when actually shifting the shifter. did you use a aftermarket cv joint or a mopar cv joint.good luck with what ever you find, i dont think you have any real problem that i would be worried about. you are probably just thinking that you are hearing it more now since you worked on it be sure to post back whatever you find out about your journey......

Thank you for the reply. Its at 197000 KM (122000 Miles). I bought the car 2nd hand, so no service history; don't know if transmission fluid&filter has been changed. Just fixing things that need to be replaced so I can run my journey to the ground. I am however following the owner's manual maintenance schedule as well. I plan on doing the transmission fluid&filter just before 200k km.

Yes the transmission did clunk before the work. Going from P-R-N-D, it would clunk. But what I'm noticing now is the following (hopefully this will better help understand what I'm trying to say). I took my car to an empty parking lot today and went in circles with the wheel fully to the right and left. When accelerating a little, I can hear some 'clunks' sometimes when the wheel if fully turned to the left or right going in a circle.

I am using an aftermarket CV half shaft (Empire). I only replaced my driver side as my mechanic told me the passenger side is fine. He did say if you're low on money just replace 1 side only.

Other than that, driving the car I don't have any issues with the transmission. It engages properly while changing its gear driving down the road. Fluid looks good too. I will probably give my mechanic a call tomorrow and tell him about the symptoms I'm having.

Edited by Cdncooler

well that is how you check a cv joint and they usually will click when they are going bad,after market joints are alot cheaper but their quality is not as good as oem parts, you might have got a bad one. if you bought it locally from from a parts store you could get their manager to ride and hear it and they probably will replace it under warranty. when you installed the shaft into the trans did you make sure it engaged and locked in real good ? you should have been able to jerk on it like you were removing it and it would have stayed locked in? i replaced both in my daughters caravan that she uses on her postal route and about 5 months down the road the right side came apart at the joint ,she probably hit a deep pothole while turning so we had to take it back to the store and they gave us a new one under warranty...anyways good luck so is it making a clunk when going straight or just turning, just a little confused on your question ?

well that is how you check a cv joint and they usually will click when they are going bad,after market joints are alot cheaper but their quality is not as good as oem parts, you might have got a bad one. if you bought it locally from from a parts store you could get their manager to ride and hear it and they probably will replace it under warranty. when you installed the shaft into the trans did you make sure it engaged and locked in real good ? you should have been able to jerk on it like you were removing it and it would have stayed locked in? i replaced both in my daughters caravan that she uses on her postal route and about 5 months down the road the right side came apart at the joint ,she probably hit a deep pothole while turning so we had to take it back to the store and they gave us a new one under warranty...anyways good luck so is it making a clunk when going straight or just turning, just a little confused on your question ?

Hi, thanks for the reply. I live in Canada and bought the part off RockAuto cause of their cheap prices. Yeah it was locked in real good. I think I confused myself and you guys as well.

It will clunk going over bumps, or fully turning the wheel right/left, sometimes.