My Stereo is draining my Battery

Hello everyone,

I have been having issues with my battery draining if my Dodge is idle for more than 24 hours.

The battery has been changed and tested. My auto electrician has tested several different things that could be draining the battery and has pin pointed the issue to my stereo.

I need to replace the stereo, I would like to buy second hand but not sure what I'm looking for online. Will any stereo that is compatible for Journey 2012 be suitable?

Thanks

Welcome to the forum.

I have a few questions:

1. Has your vehicle had all of the software updates applied?

2. How did your mechanic establish that it is the stereo?

3. Which stereo do you have? Do you have the premium sound package?

I seem to recall that there were some software issues with the subwoofer amplifier that were resolved in software. I also seem to recall that some people had battery rundown issues in earlier series-2 (post 2010) Journeys. In your position I'd ask the dealer to check out the TSBs.

Do you have a 4.3" or 8.4" screen? Do you have a navigation, or just a satellite radio? All radio is compatible (well almost) with your journey. However, you do required VIN number from donor, to get unlock your new radio, after installation in to your car.

Yes, it does. I swapped radio on 2012 Journey, and security code is built in the unit, to protect that unit from stealing. When you install radio from different journey, it not will work until you punch 4 digit security code and re-associated new radio with your car.

Is not correct. My previous Journey-2012 built in 2011. You do required SN number and donor VIN, I am done this kind off swap and I tried your suggestions, it didnd work, intill i provide VIN from donor and dealer generated the unlocking code. You can get that service online for a fee, however dealer do it for free.

You may have given the VIN to the dealer, but he didn't use it. The unlock code is an algorithm based 8n the radio serial and the vehicle in which it installed in's VIN. The radio has no idea of the donor's VIN at all, but receives the current VIN over the CANbus on start..

I was at dealer ans saw, what he did, VIN from donor is requirement to get radio work on new vehicle. Also, before I went to dealer I contacted to online services to get unlock code and they do specifically ask for VIN from donor vehicle, it requirement. When radio first installed on the car and car is turned one, it assigned VIN and generated security code and get that code to non volatile memory, built on the board in side that radio. The code will stay they forever, until dealer assigned new security code.When car is started, the PCM module is checking the radio security code and compared to VIN on new car,and then you radio start working.If the security code is not there or it not matching your VIN, radio do not work at all.

In conclusion, to generate new security code, donor VIN required, so the old security code, based on old VIN and associated with old vehicle can be deleted. Also, donor VIN, required to update a sales code on the dealer database.

Hello everyone,

I have been having issues with my battery draining if my Dodge is idle for more than 24 hours.

The battery has been changed and tested. My auto electrician has tested several different things that could be draining the battery and has pin pointed the issue to my stereo.

I need to replace the stereo, I would like to buy second hand but not sure what I'm looking for online. Will any stereo that is compatible for Journey 2012 be suitable?

Thanks

before i started buying more radios i would disconnect the radio from the wiring harness and drive for a couple of weeks to see if that actually is the problem before spending a lot of money and then find out it was something else.....

I was at dealer ans saw, what he did, VIN from donor is requirement to get radio work on new vehicle. Also, before I went to dealer I contacted to online services to get unlock code and they do specifically ask for VIN from donor vehicle, it requirement. When radio first installed on the car and car is turned one, it assigned VIN and generated security code and get that code to non volatile memory, built on the board in side that radio. The code will stay they forever, until dealer assigned new security code.When car is started, the PCM module is checking the radio security code and compared to VIN on new car,and then you radio start working.If the security code is not there or it not matching your VIN, radio do not work at all.

In conclusion, to generate new security code, donor VIN required, so the old security code, based on old VIN and associated with old vehicle can be deleted. Also, donor VIN, required to update a sales code on the dealer database.

i dont have a dog in this fight but it does sound like what camper is saying is right because that would prevent stolen radios from being used as you would have to know the vin for each one...BUT as i say i dont know the answer to the question being debated here.....

i dont have a dog in this fight but it does sound like what camper is saying is right because that would prevent stolen radios from being used as you would have to know the vin for each one...BUT as i say i dont know the answer to the question being debated here.....

It sounds good, but is wrong because . . . . .

They record the radio s/n at time of manufacture. If the radio is reported stolen they blacklist the radio's s/n, not the vehicle VIN. So when the tool is invoked to generate the code it checks the radio s/n database.

Give it up. no sense arguing about the VIN. Bramfrank is always right and we are all out in left field! LOL

Now, for this thread. Welcome. When you leave your vehicle, how do you turn off your radio? Do you actually turn it off, or let it turn off by opening the door? I would try manually turning off the radio before exiting the vehicle. There could be a hiccup in the CanBus that is not giving the radio the signal to completely shut down when you open the door. Just a thought.

Edited by dhh3
Please just let it go.

Give it up. no sense arguing about the VIN. Bramfrank is always right and we are all out in left field! LOL

Now, for this thread. Welcome. When you leave your vehicle, how do you turn off your radio? Do you actually turn it off, or let it turn off by opening the door? I would try manually turning off the radio before exiting the vehicle. There could be a hiccup in the CanBus that is not giving the radio the signal to completely shut down when you open the door. Just a thought.

Good. You're learning. Do your research before making your claims so you'll be right. Not everyone is out in left field, but you often are.