Anyone Flush the Coolant Yet?

So I hit 103k miles the other day. I already changed my transmission fluid and spark plugs recently. The next big maintenance item looks like a coolant flush at 104k miles. It's still on the original coolant on my 2012 3.6l. Are there any gotchas to the coolant change for this vehicle? Or is it just a simple normal change:

1. Open the radiator drain and the coolant reservoir bottle. Let it drain completely

2. Refill with distilled water. Run vehicle for awhile till thermostat opens and circulates the fluid

3. Then drain the fluid again. This is to get rid of the hidden remaining fluid after running the engine for awhile.

4. Then refill with the proper 50/50 mix of Chrysler MS-6395 compliant red HOAT coolant.

5. Then bleed the system. Do you just run the vehicle with the coolant reservoir cap left off? Run it long enough until the thermostat opens and fluid level drops a bit?

How much fluid should I expect to use? The 3 zone climate control says 14.5 quarts. But I highly doubt you can get it all out of the system. Unless there's some special way to drain everything from the system? How much do you actually drain from the radiator?

Side topic, I haven't replaced the PCV valve yet. Where is that located?

Yeah, it's 14.5 quarts, but there's no way I'll actually get that much in the system since probably half of it is in the lines and rear hvac unit. Just wondering if anyone has actually changed it and seen the quantity required.

Like when I do a transmission fluid/filter change, measure what comes out and put back in the same amount.

• 1 month later...

Finally got around to doing this. I was only able to get about 6 quarts of fluid in after the change. That's just the capacity of the radiator, reservoir bottle, and hoses it seemed like. So over half the fluid you can't get it since it's stuck in the HVAC system. I drained it, then refilled with water. Let it warm up and circulate fluid, then drained again and refilled with fluid. When I refilled, I open the bleeder screw on the hose by the thermostat mount. I'm not too concerned with only changing out half the fluid. Fluid looked perfect coming out, at 105k miles of hot desert usage.

BTW, the radiator drain petcock is the worst ever. You loosen it completely, and it only pisses out a tiny stream, would take an hour to drain. So you have to loosen all the way and pull the whole valve out, making a huge mess all over yourself. But whatever, it's done now. The hardest part of the job was taking out the dozen bottom air dam panel fasteners without trying to break them!

at what mileage did you do your transmission fluid and filter change i was asking my dealer and they want you to change it at about 50-60k and i asked him wasn't that for cars that were in heavy duty use or heavy towing and that the book says about 100k and he kind of hem hawed a bit and said well ya but we recommend it sooner than later...dealer wants about $150 to do the service..

at what mileage did you do your transmission fluid and filter change i was asking my dealer and they want you to change it at about 50-60k and i asked him wasn't that for cars that were in heavy duty use or heavy towing and that the book says about 100k and he kind of hem hawed a bit and said well ya but we recommend it sooner than later...dealer wants about $150 to do the service..

I will be changing both my coolant and transmission fluid soon and I am just passed 100,000 km / 60,000 miles. I just checked my Transmission fluid the other day and it is still in good shape with good color and no burnt smell. I would suggest that you check your fluid too so you aren't changing it out when it is dark and not recommended to switch it out.

EDIT: I just noticed you have a 2014 2late4U so I think you are still awhile away from a tranny fluid change but still doesn't hurt to check it.

Edited by Journey_SeXT

I will be changing both my coolant and transmission fluid soon and I am just passed 100,000 km / 60,000 miles. I just checked my Transmission fluid the other day and it is still in good shape with good color and no burnt smell. I would suggest that you check your fluid too so you aren't changing it out when it is dark and not recommended to switch it out.

EDIT: I just noticed you have a 2014 2late4U so I think you are still awhile away from a tranny fluid change but still doesn't hurt to check it.

well just passed the 41 k mark... lol burning the roads up......

I'll get rid of mine before any fluids, plugs and even brake pads at this point. I'm at 46,000 miles. Pads still look new.

well i was thinking of pulling my front wheels to check the pads but at only 41 k i am feeling a little lazy and will wait till about 60k to check them i guess

I changed transmission fluid at almost 100k miles. I just changed the plugs at 104k miles. And now the coolant at 105k miles. First time for each of those three. Basically just following the manual for each of those. The only one I might have done sooner would be plugs. I noticed a drastic mpg increase when I changed them (about 2-3 mpg). Those should have been changed out at about 75k miles or so.