Clunk noise on rear wheels but stops when I press brake

Hi all.

I have a '09 Journey SXT with 86000 kms. I can hear a clunk noise (metal) when drive onto a bumper, but if I drive downhill, pressing brakes, it doesn't sound. Rear brake pads aren't new, but I dont't think they need to be replaced yet. Brakes work ok, I mean, I feel car stops without issue when I press pedal. Anybody with similar trouble? Any nut or something like that to adjust?

Hi all.

I have a '09 Journey SXT with 86000 kms. I can hear a clunk noise (metal) when drive onto a bumper, but if I drive downhill, pressing brakes, it doesn't sound. Rear brake pads aren't new, but I dont't think they need to be replaced yet. Brakes work ok, I mean, I feel car stops without issue when I press pedal. Anybody with similar trouble? Any nut or something like that to adjust?

Not sure what you mean by "when drive onto a bumper", but if you are saying you hear a clunk when you drive over a bump it seems it would be more suspension related than brake related.

Edited by jkeaton

Not sure what you mean by "when drive onto a bumper", but if you are saying you hear a clunk when you drive over a bump it seems it would be more suspension related than brake related.

Yes, that's what I meant, sorry for my english.

I also thought it was something about suspensión, but, if so, why doesn't it sound when I press brake? It's enough to press softly to make noise dissapear.

Edited by pacman

Does your parking brake work?

Yes, it works pretty ok.

I'm not sure if parking brake is the same for automatic and manual gearboxes. Mine is manual, and parking brake is set on pulling up a lever between driver and passenger seats. It's not an electrical parking brake.

Possible that one of the rear calipers is loose. That is why you wouldn't hear anything when pushing the brake pedal.

That makes a lot of sense, and it also sounds dangerous :(

With the car parked but parking brake off, do you think I could move the caliper with my hands?

I had this problem on my Sebring. Pad came away from the metal shoe. Pad still had lots of life but for some reason the 2 pcs became unglued and it would clunk over every little bump. Had to buy new rear brake pads and it solved the problem. I could kick the tire while it was parked and make it clunk lol drove me nuts for 5 months till I got a brake inspection and they found the cause.

Edited by SeanTacular

Since we r on the topic of noises here's a new one, last few days I noticed like a click noise slash knock, only sometimes when I'm turning I hear this, brought it to the dealer and they said they didn't hear a thing when the test drove it, so upon picking my journey up from the dealer I was informed that my 2014 blacktop had a recall...apparently moisture gets in the abs system and does something, I forget what it does lol but anyways I got in my car and as I turned out of the parking lot I heard that knock again...I'm mad that it's not fixed I'm going on a trip in may and now I'm hearing something jingling under the car when I go over bumps...that didn't start until i picked up from the dealer...anyone experience this tick/knock in the front end. I personally looked to see if it was something viable but nothing

Since we r on the topic of noises here's a new one, last few days I noticed like a click noise slash knock, only sometimes when I'm turning I hear this, brought it to the dealer and they said they didn't hear a thing when the test drove it, so upon picking my journey up from the dealer I was informed that my 2014 blacktop had a recall...apparently moisture gets in the abs system and does something, I forget what it does lol but anyways I got in my car and as I turned out of the parking lot I heard that knock again...I'm mad that it's not fixed I'm going on a trip in may and now I'm hearing something jingling under the car when I go over bumps...that didn't start until i picked up from the dealer...anyone experience this tick/knock in the front end. I personally looked to see if it was something viable but nothing

Possibly from your accident the CV joint(s) had too much pressure put on them, and they are beginning to fail. They will definitely click when they start to fail. Check the boots. Look for tares. If the lube/grease begins to leak out, they will soon be toast.

• 2 years later...

This is an old thread, and the original poster never returned to say what the problem turned out to be, but I have had similar noises on a couple of different vehicles, although not on our Journey. 

Sometimes the caliper slides become loose enough that the floating side can rotate just enough to bang back & forth against the stops when going over a bump, or through a pot hole.  When the brake is just slightly engaged, then the floating part of the caliper is held against the stop, and there is no clunking noise.  (The two vehicles I had that did this were a 98 Dodge Neon, and a 98 Chevy S-10.)

Yup second that, first things I would check would be the calliper slide pins for wear and also "if" these cars have springs in the carriers holding the brake pads then check them too as a pad that can move even 1mm will knock/clunk. 

Bear in mind to release the handbrake and chock the wheels before checking calliper slides for play as if the handbrakes on it'll lock the calliper and slides into place. 

Can anyone tell me what brake setup is on the back of these? Are they all disc/pad or are some shoe/drum or both?

Rossco

• 2 months later...
On ‎14‎.‎04‎.‎2016 at 7:10 PM, pacman said:

Yes, that's what I meant, sorry for my english.

I also thought it was something about suspensión, but, if so, why doesn't it sound when I press brake? It's enough to press softly to make noise dissapear.

may be a late reply but , our Jeep Grand Cherokee WK has aftermarket brake pads and retainers are somehow loose compared to mopar branded ones. so when no brakes applied over speed bumps brake pads casue that clunk feel. it sounds like somethign is loose. when i step on brake gently over speed bumps there is no noise. so fix is related to brake pad retainers.