RB5 Nav Radio for sale

bramfrank

I suspect that I'm going to regret doing this at some point, but I am selling my spare nav radio.

Because of a perfect storm of circumstances I ended up buying two radios. One is installed in my vehicle and, because of FCA's now-resolved software bug in the RB5 I had decided to keep the second unit as a spare and it sits on a shelf in my garage - I have been hanging on to it for if (or when) the one in my dash might give up the ghost - now that FCA claims this has been resolved I no longer need it.

FCA released the R65 recall because they state resolves the software glitch in the device, but more importantly, I have just resolved someone else's 'can't unlock maps' problem, so I know how to recover from the problem should it occur anyway.

This is the third (latest) generation of the radio and it supports traffic, something the previous generations do not.

It will work in all 2011 and later Journeys with the 8.4 inch screen (or you can convert your 4.3 to an 8.4 and then use this as your radio and get navigation, though the required components for the screen conversion are not included).

I had temporarily installed and activated it to test it out and everything radio-related works - AM/FM/Sirius and Nav. I admit that perhaps while I should have, I did NOT check the DVD player though I have no reason to believe that it has any issues.

So I'm offering my spare for the same amount I paid for it - US$800 plus shipping. I will ship it either from 12919 or from Montreal, Quebec, depending on where the buyer is located.

I am not going to update the radio here because I really don't feel like pulling out one radio to install the other solely to flash it, but I will make the necessary files (and more) available to the buyer from my Dropbox.

PM me for details if interested. Images are clickable if you want to see the large version:

20160410_093500_1.jpg 20160410_093519_1.jpg

Edited by bramfrank

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

I paid $800 and, while I see a couple claiming to have nav offered at $550, those are from 2013 and older units which don't support traffic.  And you will quickly discover that parts places aren't really up to speed on what they have, so you may get a nav unit; you may not.  One even claims to have an RB6 (nav, but no XM, which isn't sold in North America) for $650, but shows a photo of the dash, which is a 4.3, so clearly not.

The one I have was tested and working.

In checking Journey parts there is ONE on that site from a vehicle which SHOULD be the later model offered at $750.  It can continue to sit on my shelf as a 'cold spare', as we call them in my industry.

Edited by bramfrank

• 4 weeks later...

No, I haven't.  I wasn't aware it could be listed on Amazon. . . . . I could also put it on eBay I suppose, but these guys all have fees and while I'd like to move it out, I am in no rush to sell it and I abhor paying fees - either losing money or costing the buyer extra.

• 4 months later...

Hi Lucas;

Well, you'd obviously need a new screen and the lower stack, which is the plastic part with the blower, volume and tuning knobs and various buttons would also need to be replaced.

Beyond the antenna (and I believe the cable that connects it to the radio, unless they finally include the wire for that the way they supposedly do for the backup camera) the onscreen control of the air conditioning would not work unless you installed a new ambient sensor (and possibly a wire from the temperature sensor part of it . . . . that's been the subject of discussion in the past) and had the sales code added, which would likely be a not simple task.

And that's about it.

Note that if you don't have Bluetooth now then voice command wouldn't work and there's no way to retrofit the feature.

16 minutes ago, lucasperi said:

Thank you Sir for your fast and accurate answer. I understand in other words that it doesn't worth it. RIght? too much to spend and still not getting all features among all the surprises that can be found on the way.....

Correct.  If I had a 4.3" uConnect in my current Journey I wouldn't 'do' the upgrade.  But that's just my opinion.

• 2 months later...
  • 1 year later...

The recent flurry of posts about upgrading to the 8.4" screen have reminded me that I still have this sitting on my shelf . . . . and when I went to post it for sale found that my ad was still there;  Thanks to the admins for NOT deleting it per the new policy.

Bump . . . .

40 minutes ago, hi_def20 said:

Do you have any pictures? I may be interested 

Interesting enough I DO have photos of it (though they all look alike - in fact based on the photos, all of the RE and RB radios look exactly the same.

Those photos WERE in the original ad, but something changed at the host site and I am not able to edit old posts, so here they are again:

20160410_093500_1.jpg  20160410_093519_1.jpg