UK Jouneys

Hi guys. I bought a 2010 sxt last week. First impressions are that it is quite a nice realistic 7 seat family car. The only issue I found after researching the car was that there were only 5 for sale in dealerships in the UK and maybe another 5 being sold privately.

Does this mean the car is not very popular over here or is it that good that not many people are parting with them?

Your thoughts please...

Welcome to the forum. I can't speak to the popularity of the Journey in the U.K. but it's the best selling Crossover vehicle in Canada. There are so many here in Windsor Ontario, Canada where I live, they must be breeding in our parking lots at night LOL. It's common to see them traveling in packs!

Welcome to the Journey family.

I strongly suspect that they are simply not popular there.

I don't know whether they do spray rustproofing to vehicles in the UK, but given the issues I see with motorcycles, if they don't, they should. And if they do, get yours done.

• 1 month later...

You're correct in that they're now re-badged as Fiat Freemont in Europe. Fiat, in their infinite wisdom, decided to discontinue sales in the UK & Ireland (where I live) back in 2011, but AFAIK, they're still on sale in mainland Europe.

In my view, its one of the better cars out there for family use, esp if you prefer the style of an SUV instead of an MPV - it is larger internally than a Santa Fe and also has very reasonable running costs when equipped with the VW sourced 2.0 Ltr Diesel engine. This gives good torque and won't see you embarrassed at traffic lights.

Quality is an area that did need improvement - not as well put together as a VW but also no where near as expensive. The new cars may have addressed this but as they don't sell them here any longer, I have no way of knowing.

Reliability is pretty good if you keep up with the correct maintenance schedule. The car has never broken down in the 165,000 Km that it has covered. Only issues I've had is with the Tyre Sealant pump when I had a puncture (get a spare wheel if you can), and a current issue with the central locking not operating on one door. Other than that, zip.

I've kept our car for 6 years now since new, and will do so for a few more, as there are still very few cars out there that fit our needs as well as this one.

Good luck with your new car!

• 2 months later...
On 5/20/2016 at 2:54 AM, silenze said:

Is your vw engine part of the emission scandal?

Apologies for late reply - didn't see your post till now (oops).  

No, this particular engine variation not affected by recall.

Funnily enough, my 2011 Audi was affected though the solution was just a simple software update. Took 30 mins, and no parts needed.

IMO, a lot of fuss being made over that, especially by lawyers, who no doubt will turn out to be the main beneficiaries. 

'Not condoning their corporate deception but when you consider no one was killed, especially when other problems HAVE killed people, I think the problem is somewhat overstated. Lets face it, its in owner's interests to make a hullaballoo as they stand to get a nice compensation payout.  I guess if we all could get money for something relatively minor, we'd be fools not to!

But, that's my own opinion. 

Best regards