Engine will not turn over

Rannissa Merali

Hello!

This is a frustrated and somewhat angry customer of the Journey. I have a 2014 Dodge Journey, just got it in 2013 Nov. And I've had issues where the car will not start! it's not cold, or anything just in the garage or a parking lot and it doesn't start. I had the 2007 Caliber before and NEVER had these problems. It's happened 4 times in the last 5 months, when I sit in the car and turn on the car (with the button) it doesn't turn on. The brake pedal and the ignition button in the car doesn't let me press it, it seems like it's locked and the check engine light turns on.After like 20 min, it starts up again like nothing has happened. (it's very intermittently).

Now I took it to the Dodge dealership twice now where I had purchased it (because it's under warranty) and they haven't told me anything that is helping. They can't replicate the issue and they have said nothing is wrong AND wanted to charge me $357 for the diagnostics. I took the car, and refuse to pay the payment, but I still am not sure what is happening with the car. Has anyone had any problems like this? Or any idea what is wrong with it?

Any feedback/ideas will help!

Thanks!

Can't say I've seen that happen before, but there are several things which might cause something like that.

When you press the brake pedal and ignition button, does the vehicle perform as if it were trying to start - switch the indicator light on the ignition button to Run from Off? Does the starter motor kick in when you hold the brake/hit ignition button? If the answer to both is "no," are you sure you don't have a dead battery in your key? Next time it happens, try pushing the ignition button using the bottom (side away from the keyring) of the key. This is the method to start the vehicle when the key fob battery is dead (there is an RFID chip in the bottom of the remote and a corresponding RFID reader in the ignition switch, that way the vehicle can read a proper security code and start the engine).

Have you tried with the other key? Again - this would indicate a dead battery or a failed key.

If none of that helps, then take a video of it the next time it happens. Use that to show the dealer PRECISELY what is happening when the issue presents itself.