Power Cable routing

CameraGuy

Hey guys,

I tried searching the forums but came up with nil on this subject. I'm loving my journey, but am disappointed and a little confused about routing power cables out of the center console. In my 07 Chrysler 300 there was a notch on the passenger side to easily and safely route cables out of the center console. Why does a 2016 Chrysler vehicle not have something this simple? Anyway I would like to hear and see how you all have routed your power cables in your DJ.

I just run them out and close the lid. I have not had a problem with the cables getting pinched or anything like that. I believe the lid does not rest on the edges, like there is a built in gap all the way around it just for that purpose. I have not looked closely to verify I just figured it was that way because even with the lid shut I can still move the wire.

I have done a thorough check and recheck, and don't see any notches. I do have the rubber stoppers and for now the cables are coming out from the gap in the lid, but what I want is a clean look....I guess I am probably going to have to drill a hole in the bottom or side of the console (inside) to achieve this :/

If you drill a hole in the plastic, you'll need to make sure it's big enough for a USB type A plug (the full size wide flat one). It would need to be that big because that is the only side of USB cables that would be useful inside the console that isn't going to change dimensions any time soon (see https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/usb for examples). Newer phones from some manufacturers use the USB 3.1 Micro-B connector, you never know if you'll be required to use an iPhone, etc. The one constant is going to be USB type A.

A hole that big is going to be UGLY. And you're still going to have a cable wire flopping around somewhere.

Alternatively, take the coin tray from the top of the console and slide it all the way to the back of the console (the notches inside the mounting track for the tray I was talking about are present on both ends for this purpose). The armrest can open in two ways - either opening on the hinge to lift up if you wanted access to everything inside the console, or slide it back about 3 inches (lift the release lever, but push the armrest back instead of lifting it). You can pull the cable up through there, then slide it back forward again. There is more than enough room for this to work, and you can hide the cable when it is not in use without needing to open the armrest completely.

It sounds like what you really want is a dock for your phone - get in, plug the phone in somewhere, no messing with cables. That is a different question entirely, and I would suggest using the console for that. The 12v port in the console runs directly from the battery, so a 12v adapter (usually has some power indicator LED) runs the risk of draining the battery. The USB port inside the console doesn't provide enough power to charge a phone (even a cheap bargain bin smartphone like mine, much less an iPhone or a Samsung/LG/etc. flagship model phone). If you want something that won't run the risk of depleting your battery, you would need to use the 12v port underneath the radio (this one runs only when the ignition is in accessory or run - that's what that key symbol means).

My point regarding micro-usb is that some of the newer flagship phones from Samsung and LG (and others) are starting to switch over to USB 3.1 Micro-B connectors (about twice as wide as a Micro-USB 2.0 connector). Yes, your argument holds true for the Apple Lightning cable, but can you guarantee that for your entire ownership of the vehicle, you will only ever have a single brand of phone?

And if you drill a hole in the plastic, you still have a cable flopping around when it's not in use. But now you also have a hole in the console plastic (which will reduce resale value).

I couldn't get my cord out of the center console arm rest either. Got a 4 plug adapter with 1 usb port off ebay for $4. plugs go in bottom with switch to active on top. top 2 switches run my behind the grill led lights and foot well led lights. usb for my phone which sits on my cd slot magnetic phone holder.

power plug adapter