Transmission replacement questions

DirtyJourney

So I just bought a 2009 Dodge Journey with a bad transmission. It has the 3.5, and is FWD. I've changed alot of transmissions, but was looking for some pointers. Haven't really worked on any newer dodge vehicles. So a how to, and some pointers would be appreciated.

Thanks!

Don't remember anyone on here having to do this or has done this, may be wrong. I suggest picking up a Haynes manual, may have better luck that way. That being said, it should be similar to other transmissions if you have done this before. Remove a lot of stuff and unbolt it. Someone else may chime in.

Welcome to the forum.

given the nature of FWD, I would imagine the first steps would be:

***Disconnect the battery!!!***

Remove front wheels, front brake assemblies, left and right axle half shaft/CV joints; drain transmission and disconnect transmission cooler lines;

Depdending on what's in the way, remove starter motor and isolate wiring harness, coolant lines (and drain radiator while you're at it)

I have no idea how much of the engine would need to be disconnected and removed.

And none of that gives you any information for how tight to put things back together. I would suggest that you not begin anything with this task unless you have full, accurate, and reliable information on exactly what steps to perform, and in what order they should be done. Use the correct tools for the job (read: torque wrench when needed) or you face stripped or loose bolts - either of which pose a safety risk to you and the drivers around you.

I just checked - Haynes does not have a manual for the Journey yet. You can try Mitchell1 - they probably have it in electronic subscription format.

Ok thanks for the info. I just ask because I haven't picked the car up yet to bring it to the shop. Didnt know if the frame cradle and power steering rack had to be removed to take out the transmission like some. Im sorry i should have been more clear with my question. Just wanted to know what to expect. But the miles it has a timing belt would be a good idea, thanks for the reminder Larryl.