Vortex Generators

Just installed some vortex generators to up my mpg's. Also helps keep the vehicle a lot more stable in strong crosswinds and as an added bonus keeps the rear window a lot cleaner as the air from the roof comes down over the rear window now instead of the air from under the vehicle coming up and swirling over the rear window covering it in road grime. I've had them on previous vehicles and all the trucks at my work (semi's & straight trucks) have them for the long distance drives and get a lot better fuel mileage. They only work above 35-40 mph but I live my life above 70 lol worth the $50 cost in the long run. These aren't the cheap $20 tiny shark fin ones. These are actually what the big trucks, race cars, and airplanes use. Also you can see the custom painted 2 tone green and black dodge emblem I painted and the rear tail light Chrome accents.

post-12497-0-98320400-1453862224_thumb.j

post-12497-0-56568800-1453862305_thumb.j

post-12497-0-65247000-1453862346_thumb.j

I just really want the improved mpg and gas savings. Cool looking or not they are proven to work and since I plan on owning at least 8 years it should pay off in a year since I drive about 50,000 km's a year. After that it's just money in the bank baby! Hahaha ps love the vin diesel quote. Lol

Me and Sean live life a 1/4 mile at a time. The car of my dreams for many years was a Mitsu Evo. It had a huge wing and factory vortex generators. It also had torque vectoring AWD and a turbo that would blow the doors off anything out there! The vortex generators look very unique on your Journey Sean.

Cause' Science!!

112_0503_evos_08z-2005_mitsubishi_lancer

http://oppositelock.kinja.com/vortex-generators-1441084940

did i miss something after watching the video it looked like they did help with the air flow but the video said itself after fuel mph test no improvement seen, so the cost vs no improvement equals minus investment..

LOL...that's cool. Maybe it's just me but I would have picked a better platform to tune if I wanted to start dumping mod money into a vehicle. There will never be enough aftermarket support to do the things any of us truly want to do so we are left with cheap gimmicks and homemade modifications. It's sad. There is a ton of potential in the engine, but it is still marketed as a family vehicle alternative to a minivan. But, rock on.

Edited by jkeaton

Don't get me wrong. I'm all for personalizing, just be careful to not mis-represent any modification. Don't want to mislead people. The video clearly says this does nothing for mileage, so there will be zero "mpg and gas savings". You will have a cleaner rear window though.

Edited by jkeaton

Short term testing showed no mpg gains but the long haul trucks have shown savings in their fuel logs. Like I said it won't save initially but I plan on keeping for at least 8 years at at least 50,000kms a year. It will pay off. In a few years lol. I drive 2-2.5 hours on the highway every day for work. 0.006 reduction in drag won't show anything for 100 miles, 200 miles or even 500 miles but 500,000 miles it will. Also the corolla video wasn't the most scientific and he doesn't state what distance he drove to test fuel efficiency. Here a video that explains and shows how reducing drag saves fuel. https://m.youtube.com/watch?time_continue=171&ebc=ANyPxKq5dk4QWu-FHB3h3rZDgVquBm-ECRdkYvHkhDhOxbz-iw5kr6imqmTbSD8JzbUYh0xp_s9GRyJrMKXUKyUVbN-8eV8OsQ&v=f80a9jssUFU

Ok. So in 500,000 miles it will pay for itself....IF you drive a long haul truck. Who keeps a car for 500,000 miles? If you do, more power to you. I have no argument with reducing drag = mileage savings, but seriously, this is like the age old cold air intake or eBay chip argument. Lol

Edited by jkeaton

Have to agree. The vortex units will pay dividends if you are a long haul trucker and in a fleet environment. They don't "pay for themselves" for even a single long haul truck. Not enough miles even at their rate. The compounded multiplication of mileage in the fleet scenario will save a few dollars, but, even then, the long vision is not enticing enough for fleets (that's why you don't see them; mileage vs. per unit cost is not enticing enough). You do see, however, other draft changing devices that have a lower cost / better pay back scenario...the under trailer air foils and now the "tail vanes" that we are seeing more of. I have seen far more of those devices than I have of the vortex additions...there is a reason.

I never saw a difference. Hard or soft cover. Maybe if I drive in a straight line for 500 miles at a constant speed, but who's got time for that. Lol. We shall agree to disagree. Again, that's like the cold air intake/IAT resister trick. It's all a matter of the butt Dyno and none of those are ever calibrated the same. At any rate, I'm not going to stick a bunch of satellite antenna looking things all over the back of my car hoping they will pay for themselves in 500,000 miles. Lol