Hello Frozen Minions!

hockey_puck

Last day. Fly back tonight. Back to reality.

More Hawaii notes:

There is certainly a very different attitude to life VS the North American continent attitude. Hawaiian time does exist. Be patient folks. Chill.

Their local TV news is a throwback to local TV from the early 80's on the continent. It exists, with actual media personalities. I suspect it is because the "corporate trend" in the media has just not made it across the Pacific, plus the isolation of the islands.

There definitely are two cultures here. I'll call one, "the tourist" and the other, "the local". They charge for everything and the tourist pays a premium.
Learn how to pronounce Hawaiian names/terms and you learn a lot, and hide that you are a tourist. It isn't too hard to find out where the locals shop to avoid the tourist prices.
Example. Pay $7.50 for a gallon of milk at the tourist grocery store. Or pay under 4 bucks where the locals shop. It just might take a bit longer bus ride.

Next time I hear people bitch about the roads at home, I'm going to swack them in the head. In some cases they ain't no better here and in many cases worse! And there is no freeze/thaw cycle. A lot of Hawaii's roads are very old, constructed to old standards, too small and narrow, and there is no where to widen and improve. Land is very expensive! The H1 freeway is a joke in old sections and daily bumper to bumper traffic is the norm. Amazingly courteous and patient drivers.

They are constructing an elevated L.R.T. It is way over budget and costing BILLIONS. Won't be done for a few years. Sales taxes to pay for it extended into the late 20's

There are 3 languages here. English, Hawaiian and Japanese. Speak all 3 and you can go far.

Honolulu airport is real old. A redo underway, but seems to happen on Hawaii time. Lie on the beach and watch the big jets land and takeoff, one after another. Busy.

Dandelions don't grow well here. I've seen one.

We have windchill warnings. Hawaii has surf height warnings.

Flying doesn't bother me. Sitting still for 5 or 6 hours to Vancouver does.

You can own a black car here. Never gets dusty! But, expect to see the paint burned off the roof on a 3 year old car. Because it reflects sunlight, white is the most popular
colour here by far.

The cops ride bicycles on the sidewalks. Not supposed to.

Honolulu Zoo is worth every penny. The Aquarium isn't.

Good luck finding a favourite TV show on a cable channel. The 4 or 5 hr time difference means it's on in the late afternoon. Live sports gets weird too. Networks are delayed.

Would I live here? Hell yes. But it would take a lottery win to pull it off.

Mahalo

H.P.

Last day. Fly back tonight. Back to reality.

More Hawaii notes:

There is certainly a very different attitude to life VS the North American continent attitude. Hawaiian time does exist. Be patient folks. Chill.

Their local TV news is a throwback to local TV from the early 80's on the continent. It exists, with actual media personalities. I suspect it is because the "corporate trend" in the media has just not made it across the Pacific, plus the isolation of the islands.

There definitely are two cultures here. I'll call one, "the tourist" and the other, "the local". They charge for everything and the tourist pays a premium.

Learn how to pronounce Hawaiian names/terms and you learn a lot, and hide that you are a tourist. It isn't too hard to find out where the locals shop to avoid the tourist prices.

Example. Pay $7.50 for a gallon of milk at the tourist grocery store. Or pay under 4 bucks where the locals shop. It just might take a bit longer bus ride.

Next time I hear people bitch about the roads at home, I'm going to swack them in the head. In some cases they ain't no better here and in many cases worse! And there is no freeze/thaw cycle. A lot of Hawaii's roads are very old, constructed to old standards, too small and narrow, and there is no where to widen and improve. Land is very expensive! The H1 freeway is a joke in old sections and daily bumper to bumper traffic is the norm. Amazingly courteous and patient drivers.

They are constructing an elevated L.R.T. It is way over budget and costing BILLIONS. Won't be done for a few years. Sales taxes to pay for it extended into the late 20's

There are 3 languages here. English, Hawaiian and Japanese. Speak all 3 and you can go far.

Honolulu airport is real old. A redo underway, but seems to happen on Hawaii time. Lie on the beach and watch the big jets land and takeoff, one after another. Busy.

Dandelions don't grow well here. I've seen one.

We have windchill warnings. Hawaii has surf height warnings.

Flying doesn't bother me. Sitting still for 5 or 6 hours to Vancouver does.

You can own a black car here. Never gets dusty! But, expect to see the paint burned off the roof on a 3 year old car. Because it reflects sunlight, white is the most popular

colour here by far.

The cops ride bicycles on the sidewalks. Not supposed to.

Honolulu Zoo is worth every penny. The Aquarium isn't.

Good luck finding a favourite TV show on a cable channel. The 4 or 5 hr time difference means it's on in the late afternoon. Live sports gets weird too. Networks are delayed.

Would I live here? Hell yes. But it would take a lottery win to pull it off.

Mahalo

H.P.

Welcome home! http://winnipeg.ctvnews.ca/skywatch-weather