2012 Journey ABS recall

2004CSOTP

I have a dilemma. My ABS and traction control lights are on. I understand there will soon be a recall on this because water gets in the ABS module. This vehicle should be covered but i need to get it inspected in the next week and obviously it won't pass like that and the dealer won't do anything until they get noticed of the recall. Is there anything I can do to temporarily shut the light off? I thought of trying to dry out the ABS module with compressed air.

On ‎11‎/‎27‎/‎2015 at 0:18 PM, jkeaton said:

Abs should not cause you to fail, at least where I'm at it won't. At any rate cant tour dealer help? You still have warranty?

I'm in Virginia. I assumed any idiot light on would cause it to fail, but I guess I should make sure of that. It's out of warranty so it either gets paid for by the recall or it's on me. Where is the module?

Edited by jkeaton

It's been a while since I've had a vehicle inspected (MI has no inspection whatsoever... and NEEDS it...), however I was always under the impression that if the CEL was lit, you failed. Any other light didn't affect inspection, but the garage would inform you of it and generously offer to fix it for you... for just an arm (you get to keep the leg!).

Might be worth a quick call to the garage to ask the question. With so many recalls lately, I'm sure they've been asked it before. Even if you go to the inspection and fail, they typically give you 30 days to fix the problem and come back.

A brake warning light will fail. That is a problem with the braking system itself. ABS wont. At least not yet. ABS is still an option on many vehicles and, until our wonderful, bloated government mandates ABS, they can't fail you for something that is optional.

A brake warning light will fail. That is a problem with the braking system itself. ABS wont. At least not yet. ABS is still an option on many vehicles and, until our wonderful, bloated government mandates ABS, they can't fail you for something that is optional.

ABS isn't mandated and rear view cameras are (about to be)?? That seems odd.

My bad....In the United States, the NHTSA has mandated ABS in conjunction with Electronic Stability Control under the provisions of FMVSS 126 as of September 1, 2011. My point is though, at least around me, it is not a safety feature or emissions component that would cause you to fail an inspection.