Galaxy Tab 3 Tablet Install (Massive pic)

I don't use the sunglasses holder, so I tore it apart and installed a Galaxy Tab 3 in it.

12190855_10154276629992542_2944246496941

Sorry for the massive pic.

It is mounted with heavy duty velcro. I need to straighten it a bit, it looks a bit cock-eyed in the pic. Power is tapped into from the rear view mirror. Audio is run along the liner, down the pillar, behind the glove box behind the radio trim and comes out right into the front AUX port of the Mygig. The only visible wiring is a very small amount at where the aux in is located.

It is automated so when I turn the key on it will;

change the back ground image to the one shown

turn off Airplane mode

turn on wifi (for hotspot)

and change the screen time out to 3 hours

When I turn the key off it;

Kills all open apps

Turns off wifi

Turns on Airplane

Changes the screen time out to 7 seconds

Displays a message on screen saying "Goodbye"

Changes background image to a picture taken from an airplane

The message and background change is for visual verification that automation is working.

The sunglasses panel works like normal so the tablet is completely hidden when not in use.

Edited by Kevin Baker

That's pretty sweet. Do you find the location to be awkward when using navigation?

Not really. It was at first, but overall it isn't. I use WAZE and it is pretty good about giving the audible directions. While it's a bit farther towards the back than the mirror, it's barely different than checking the mirror. Instead of just glancing with my eyes, I have to turn my head a couple degrees and look. While looking at it, I can still move my eyes back to the road with out any issues. I find it less distractful than trying to use a phone on a vent mount. The screen being bigger means I have to focus on it a lot less.

Looks crooked....

It's mounted by velcro, so when I put it on there and took the picture it was a little "off". Easily fixable. I put that in the post.

It is mounted with heavy duty velcro. I need to straighten it a bit, it looks a bit cock-eyed in the pic.

I'm intrigued about the power being taken from the mirror. Can you explain the wiring? Or show the connection?

So, I tapped into the wire that has switched power. I can't remember the wire color, and it's all heat shrinked up so I can't take a look. I took a Cig/USB adapter apart and wired it to that for the step down in voltage. Then it's a 9" usb to Right Angle Up Micro USB. I also used the ground wire from the mirror for ground on the USB adapter.