Low beam and high beam on together?

I recently installed HID lights on my wife journey and when I was checking the to see how brighter they were than the high beams I noticed they were both on together. I never noticed this before, I've had this vehicle for almost 2 years and stopped driving this a year ago after i got my tundra. Is this normal or did I do something wrong when installing the HID lights.

Moving to the correct section. As stated, that's the way the lights work on the DJ. Putting HID's in stock housings is generally frowned upon.

Haha, that’s what I hear but they look waaayyyyy better. After I put HIDs on my tundra and drove the wife's journey I couldn't take driving with them ugly candle lights. it looked horrible and its harder to see with low beam and with the high beams its easier. I have to put HIDs on the high beams and fog lights also since the low beam have HIDs. it would look ridiculous having white and a candle light (one of my pet peeves about HID's when i see them on other vehicles. I live in the high desert not many street lights here to help with lighting issues. My bad for posting in the wrong section, this forum is a little different from the tundra forum I have, I thought I was in the right location..

Edited by Brian J Savoir

Haha, that’s what I hear but they look waaayyyyy better. After I put HIDs on my tundra and drove the wife's journey I couldn't take driving with them ugly candle lights. it looked horrible and its harder to see with low beam and with the high beams its easier. I have to put HIDs on the high beams and fog lights also since the low beam have HIDs. it would look ridiculous having white and a candle light (one of my pet peeves about HID's when i see them on other vehicles. I live in the high desert not many street lights here to help with lighting issues. My bad for posting in the wrong section, this forum is a little different from the tundra forum I have, I thought I was in the right location..

The fog light lenses scatter light everywhere... HIDs installed there have to be absolutely painful for other drivers. I just put 5000k LED bulbs in my fogs. Now they match my projector HIDs and no one is being blinded for aesthetics.

Lows on with Highs is something Chrysler does... my Intrepids, Charger did it. My 300M and Journey do it. Turning the foglights off with high beam is a state/federal requirement I believe. I'm not sure if all states have that, but manufacturers do it to be 50 state legal (kind of like all cars passing CARB requirements even though that's only needed for California). Every state I've lived in (Florida, Jersey, PA, Michigan) limits drivers to three sets of lights on at any given time... and parking lights are counted as one set. Cops in those states can pull you over if you have the fog lights on along with lows, highs, and parking lights. I haven't seen it happen... but then I also don't see many people modding their foglight systems.

Fog lights are supposed to be used only in the fog. Growing up on the end of Long Island, NY, the fog would get so thick that I could barely see the end of the hood! Fog lights used to be yellow for better visibility in the fog Once they became standard or optional, they put clear bulbs in them and people just drive with them on all the time.

The reflector for the low beam is made so you can see far down the road. The fog light reflector is made so you can see what is in front of you in dense fog. Next time you guys get into a thick fog, try only your fog lights and then compare them to your low beams and you will see the difference in how the light is spread out. I put Nokya Hyper Yellow 2500_24w in my fogs; a direct replacement for the PSX24W standard bulb.

Lows on with Highs is something Chrysler does... my Intrepids, Charger did it. My 300M and Journey do it. Turning the foglights off with high beam is a state/federal requirement I believe. I'm not sure if all states have that, but manufacturers do it to be 50 state legal (kind of like all cars passing CARB requirements even though that's only needed for California). Every state I've lived in (Florida, Jersey, PA, Michigan) limits drivers to three sets of lights on at any given time... and parking lights are counted as one set. Cops in those states can pull you over if you have the fog lights on along with lows, highs, and parking lights. I haven't seen it happen... but then I also don't see many people modding their foglight systems.

Good point... In MN you are also limited to 6 lights on...

I put those exact same bulbs in my fogs. Most times I can't even tell they are on.

Same here... I think our 'fogs' are more like DRL's personally. They certainly don't illuminate the road enough to be beneficial. You could add a brighter light, but the plastic housing is likely not strong enough to withstand the higher heat generated by these bulbs for very long. The Retrofit Source has a really nice LED replacement housing that I am considering so that I have actual functional fogs, but they are not cheap.

• 1 month later...

In Alabama its a free for all with lights. We do what we want. There aren't any inspections or stuff like that.

Just because it isn't enforced doesn't mean there aren't laws...

Alabama Additional Permissible Lights on Vehicles: http://codes.lp.findlaw.com/alcode/32/5/9/2/32-5-241

Alabama Light, Lamps and Reflective Device Laws: http://codes.lp.findlaw.com/alcode/32/5/9/2

Just because it isn't enforced doesn't mean there aren't laws...

Alabama Additional Permissible Lights on Vehicles: http://codes.lp.findlaw.com/alcode/32/5/9/2/32-5-241

Alabama Light, Lamps and Reflective Device Laws: http://codes.lp.findlaw.com/alcode/32/5/9/2

Same in NC. I have aftermarket driving lights on my truck plus a 4-hi conversion. With them all on I have 10 forward facing lights. Lol. Never had a problem with inspections or cops though.