'012 Journey SXT, 50k miles, tranny going in & out of gear?? Uh-oh!

audioguy

Was hoping someone could tell me if they've experienced/heard of this. I was driving my SXT last night and when I pulled into a parking spot, after braking, the thing slipped out of Drive and I had no power to the wheels. It was as if I took it out of drive manually. I turned it off, then back on and the problem goes away for a minute then comes back. The issue is accompanied by a "whirring" sound that gets higher or lower pitched depending on how much I stepped on the gas. When it slips out of gear the engine starts to race as if I was on the gas pedal hard in Neutral. I tried manually shifting through 1st and 2nd gear but there's no difference.

I had to have the car towed to the service station where I have my extended warranty. The mechanic who looked at it initially said the check engine light was showing an issue with the power steering. Huh? Could that possibly affect the tranny? Any input is greatly appreciated. The shop normally handles Hyundai as they sell new Hyundais there, but I bought my Dodge from their used car section. The mechanic is already talking about having to send it to an authorized Dodge service center. I can already tell they're gonna try to skirt my warranty, as they've tried, unsuccessfully, to do in the past with my two other cars (both Hyundais).

B

I believe someone posted something almost identical a day or two ago... His dealer said that the tranny was overfilled... He has not had time to confirm if the issue was fixed or not.

Thanks for the heads up. I will suggest that to the mechanic when he calls me back since he's a dumbass. I'm stuck with him because my service warranty is with his shop.