Advice on buying a used Journey

I joined this forum a few years ago when I purchased a 2010 Journey SXT AWD in Deep Water Blue. It was a beautiful vehicle, I NEVER had a problem with it mile after mile. I planned on keeping it forever, however life had a different plan for me. In May of 2013 a family member suddenly died leaving us in a huge bind. It was either keep the Dodge Journey or keep our home. I unfortunately fell 4 months behind, fearing repossession I took the Journey to the credit union and handed them the keys. The credit union even commented on how beautiful the Journey was and thanked me for taking it to them in pristine condition. I had to file bankruptcy a week later.

I have moved on and rebuilt myself, I made the mistake of purchasing a 2009 Toyota Sienna in place of another Journey. This Sienna has made me miserable, it refuses to be reliable and at 126000 miles it needs $3500 to pass PA inspection. I have decided that enough is enough and refuse to put another penny in this Sienna. I went car shopping today and found a very nice 2009 Dodge Journey R/T AWD that is black.

The dealer is giving me $4000 for my Sienna and I currently owe $6890. The Journey is priced at $13900 and has 71000 miles on it. The Journey is loaded with moonroof, MYGIG, RES, leater, heated seats, and third row seating. I'm hoping it's a good decision, I have read that the 2009's have problems. I hoping I can get the same service from it that I got from my 2010 that had more miles on it. I also got a much better interest rate then I have on the Sienna.

Is there anything I should look out for on the 2009 Journeys?

post-6715-0-89861200-1441511372_thumb.jp

I would try to find one with the bigger front brakes. You can tell because the front caliper is larger than the rear.

I feel your pain. When my wife was diagnosed with Cancer, I sold my 2006 Jeep Commander which I had purchased new; not wanting to pay the huge payment anymore: 3 year loan on a $42,000 Jeep! I believe that I would be still driving it to day. Life does throw curves, and you have to roll with the punches.

I agree with silenze, it's very overpriced. Check the market. You can buy a 2009 Journey in Canada for less than $8,000 with less mileage. dhh3 is right also about the brakes. Don't make the mistake that since you took excellent care of your first Journey that others do the same. Check out maintenance records if they are available if they're not don't even consider it.

Edited by rolly