brake caliper color

copperhead33

I also have a Copperhead Pearl Beauty. For the DJ, MGP only makes caliper covers in Black or Red. I'm thinking Red because of the Hyper Black Wheels. I think the Black ones would get lost. They are made in different colors for other cars; just not the DJ. The factory metal looks like silver and do look good with the Hyper Black wheels. Can't make up my mind! Also, they do have a list of special powder coat colors, but I guess that these would cost big $!

Edited by dhh3

For $9, it's cheap enough to buy a can and spray it on some scrap material. If it's close (and it won't have to be perfect, since it's not actually directly against the body paint), the calipers can be exposed and painted at the OP's leisure.

I just bit the bullet and ordered a set of MGP red caliper covers. I know that they will look awesome with the Crossroad wheels, but the jury will be out concerning the Copperhead Pearl until I get them installed.

Edited by dhh3

I just bit the bullet and ordered a set of MGP red caliper covers. I know that they will look awesome with the Crossroad wheels, but the jury will be out the Copperhead Pearl until I get them installed.

If you don't like it you could always spray the VHT engine enamel in the link right on top of them...

the burnt copper color is way off,but i think it will look good,

11846058_10153564980684662_1172781412_n_

Luckily it won't be close enough to your paint to be as noticeable as when you place the can next to the vehicle. Plus, that cap is molded using resins, not the actual paint color, so it probably won't be exact... Post pics when you're done!

Paint on scrap material first to test. You don't need much - a sanded piece of 2x4 will do. Cut a piece to fit inside the wheels (vehicle off, parking brake set, etc. - you don't want to actually move while this is happening...) and paint it with the burnt copper. Place it inside the wheel (rear is easier - more clearance) and take a picture. If the color looks ok in that position, then you're good. If it looks off, no need to take the time to paint the calipers.

Edited by bfurth

• 2 weeks later...

Caliper Covers arrived yesterday. They are being installed today at 3 PM. $40. Not bad! Pictures to follow.

In looking at the picture I posted of my Nitro, that is the rear caliper. Both the front and back were the same size. I wonder if the bigger front brakes will fit on the rear?

Edited by dhh3

$40 to install! Sadly, the MGP Caliper Covers do not work with the Crossroad Wheels. Not enough clearance in the front, and some sort of interference with the rear caliper and the mounting bracket. So, I'm sending them back. I was assured that these would fit. My mechanic tried for over 2 hours, even with a lift. I did my Nitro in my garage in about an hour!

According to MGP, all you need is a business card width and they will fit. Maybe all the Journeys with the newer big front brakes are an issue. They are giving me a refund, less 15% restocking fee. They also need my VIN. I'll send them back UPS ground today, give them the tracking details and my VIN.