New member, and already an exhaust question

Howdy. I own a 2012 DJ SXT and lately I've been thinking about upgrading the exhaust system to try and get that growl I'm looking for. The wife thinks I'm crazy but she told me to go for it. I absolutely love my DJ and plan to keep it for a long time and, as such, I'm looking to do some upgrades.

I've done some research on this site and have visited an exhaust shop. The guy took a look under the car and recommended putting in a resonator before the split, and then two Magnaflow Bullets after the split. He said I will definitely hear it but I don't want it to be so loud that I won't be able to hear my radio. Also don't want any cabin drone. Are there specific Magnaflow mufflers that are recommended for this vehicle that have worked out okay for anyone here?

I'm also considering an air intake upgrade if I go with the new exhaust system. Is there a consensus on what CAI product works best with the DJ?

Thanks in advance, and get ready for lots of stupid questions. Lots and lots. :)

Edited by audioguy

Get whatever muffler you want. Magnaflow sounds good. CAI will do absolutely nothing. The factory intake already draws cold air from the front edge of the hood. What you will wind up with with any aftermarket "CAI" is a "short ram" that will suck hot air from the engine compartment. There are not any "direct fit" CAI's for the DJ. You will have to fab something up, or modify one designed for another vehuicle if you want to go that route. Search the site for CAI. There are plenty of threads on the subject.

Be sure to search around before asking stupid questions..... :yup:

Edited by jkeaton

Obviously, your exhaust shop did not look very closely because there already is a resonator before the split. I like my music too much to even consider touching my exhaust.

He just took a peek underneath, probably didn't even see it. I'm into my music, as well. Just upgraded to a Pio DEH-80prs and JL Audio components and sub, and two JL amps. Sweet sound. Hopefully the drone will be minimal.

Anyone just remove the resonator, and keep the factory mufflers? I had to do this on my Nitro (muffler was in front, resonator in back at the end of the exhaust pipe). I had to do this to install a Borla exhaust tip that was 14" long. The normal sound of the 3.7 is entirely different than the 3.6, so it would be like comparing apples to oranges.

Edited by dhh3

He just took a peek underneath, probably didn't even see it. I'm into my music, as well. Just upgraded to a Pio DEH-80prs and JL Audio components and sub, and two JL amps. Sweet sound. Hopefully the drone will be minimal.

I have a thread on all the Alpine and Kicker equipment items I installed. I like my music clear and loud!

I have a thread on all the Alpine and Kicker equipment items I installed. I like my music clear and loud!

I've been an audio lover for years and "loud" is a relative term. To me, if something sounds very loud it's sometimes indicative of inferior equipment being pushed too hard. Quality sound at reference levels allow you to "feel" the music more so than the perception of it being "loud." And I do like to feel it! :)

So I went ahead with the exhaust changes. At first, I had the muffler guy keep in the stock resonator and replace the stock mufflers with 2 5x8 Magnaflows. The volume level was not quite where I wanted it to be, but it did sound good. The volume tended to be mostly in the lower throttle which quickly rolled off around 3,000 rpm. So I took the DJ back to the guy and had him remove the resonator. Much better. Not too much louder, but the sound is more even at all speeds. Slight cabin drone, but nothing I wasn't expecting. I can still hear my music fine and it doesn't drown out my wife's voice.

Maybe I'll just try and remove the resonator. Is it where the exhaust pipe gets fatter approximately unde the front passenger seat? Does the 3.6 have two catalytic converters after each exhaust manifold (2)?

Edited by dhh3