DJ shredding tyres???

andavaka

Hi guys,

I have taking it to check alignment twice and they said it was 100% ok but I can still visible tyre shredding even worse when loaded.

I am currently running 275/35/20 & using 220kpa all round, can anyone advise what could be causing such wear.

The black stuff on the bumper is shredded rubber from the rear tyres:

WP_20150630_001_zps95eb9f59.jpgWP_20150630_003_zps769adbd9.jpg

Previous tyres with side wear:

WP_20150630_004_zps5ec397d1.jpg

Edited by andavaka

To start; You are running the tire pressure way too low, which is why the edges wear before the middle . . . . tire pressure should be set to 248 or 255 kpa all around with cold tires - and use a good pressure gauge to measure it.

The road surface can also be a contributor - if you drive on abrasive surfaces (in the United States they often pave roads using a technique called 'chipseal' where they embed an abrasive into the road surface) tires will wear as though you used sandpaper (which chipseal surfaces closely resemble).

Then there is the tire itself - a 'performance' tire made of soft compounds will not last long - the DJ is no lightweight. Durable tires are one of the keys. That durability is one of the items specified in US tires that may (or may not) be required in other countries. The treadwear rating is what it is called - and the higher the number, the longer the tire is likely to last.

Please keep us informed of your progress.

Edited by bramfrank

Do you drive it like you stole it?

On long distance yes i do between 150 - 180km/h.

To start; You are running the tire pressure way too low, which is why the edges wear before the middle . . . . tire pressure should be set to 248 or 255 kpa all around with cold tires - and use a good pressure gauge to measure it.

The road surface can also be a contributor - if you drive on abrasive surfaces (in the United States they often pave roads using a technique called 'chipseal' where they embed an abrasive into the road surface) tires will wear as though you used sandpaper (which chipseal surfaces closely resemble).

Then there is the tire itself - a 'performance' tire made of soft compounds will not last long - the DJ is no lightweight. Durable tires are one of the keys. That durability is one of the items specified in US tires that may (or may not) be required in other countries. The treadwear rating is what it is called - and the higher the number, the longer the tire is likely to last.

Please keep us informed of your progress.

Thanks i will add more pressure and advise results after installing new tyres which will be 275/40/20.

Can you see any interference between the tires and the suspension? I'm running 255/50R19s and I can not get my index fingernail between the front strut bottom mount and the tire. What are the width and diameter of your tires?

I missed the issue of tire size . . . .

As pointed out by dhh3 you need to also consider tire width - the unit you plan to install is very wide . . . The correct size would be 220/50R20 - same diameter and width as factory but for a 20 inch wheel. But they don't make this size for automobiles.

The narrowest common production 20" tire with about the right height would be 235/45R20 assuming your wheels aren't too wide for the 9.25" width - it is still .5" wider than stock, but a LOT narrower than what you have planned - and the speedometer will be about 1.4% higher.

If the wheels are wider you can go for a slightly taller tire, like a 245/45/20 - it is going to be very, very close. But the 245/45/20 would be the same diameter as stock, so the speedo would be right at least and the 245 would at least be an inch narrower than the tire you proposed.

Can you see any interference between the tires and the suspension? I'm running 255/50R19s and I can not get my index fingernail between the front strut bottom mount and the tire. What are the width and diameter of your tires?

Currently running 275/35/20.

I missed the issue of tire size . . . .

As pointed out by dhh3 you need to also consider tire width - the unit you plan to install is very wide . . . The correct size would be 220/50R20 - same diameter and width as factory but for a 20 inch wheel. But they don't make this size for automobiles.

The narrowest common production 20" tire with about the right height would be 235/45R20 assuming your wheels aren't too wide for the 9.25" width - it is still .5" wider than stock, but a LOT narrower than what you have planned - and the speedometer will be about 1.4% higher.

If the wheels are wider you can go for a slightly taller tire, like a 245/45/20 - it is going to be very, very close. But the 245/45/20 would be the same diameter as stock, so the speedo would be right at least and the 245 would at least be an inch narrower than the tire you proposed.

So you think i should rather go with 245/45/20 instead of 275/45/20 i was planning on use.

Thanks for all your feedback, i will try correct Tyre pressure 1st on current tyres and see if they will still continue shredding at the same rate.

Actually, I think you should use 235/45/20 - which is narrower still, though is still a half inch wider than the factory tire and is 1.4% lower profile . . . .

Increasing the tire pressure will firm up the sidewalls and reduce the amount of bulge which might help with the shredding if indeed the tires are hitting the suspension . . . . but if it helps, it highlights the fact that your present tires are too wide for the vehicle.

Another consideration would be the front tires rubbing as you turn, and the suspension is moving up and down. Turn your steering wheel all the way to the right and see how much clearance there is between the outside edge of the tire and the inner fender. Then, check the clearance by turning all the way to the left. My 255/50R19s are 5.02" high, 10.04" wide, with a diameter 29.04". Because of the minimal clearance between the bottom front strut support and my tire, I believe that this may be the largest 50 series tire that can fit on the factory 19" wheels. They are filled to the factory spec, as far as air goes.

Edited by dhh3

1. The number on the door sill is the value for the best efficiency - it is *not* the minimum, but it is not the maximum either. For lower rolling resistance raise it a bit, for better grip, a *bit* lower may help.

2. Different tires have different maximum tire pressures. The number on the sidewall is the maximum pressure under the full load. Do not inflate to this value under normal circumstances.

Edited by bramfrank