Concerns over adding factory NAV

Hello all,

My girl just picked up a new 2015 Dodge Journey Blacktop with the 8.4 touch screen with Sirius radio, but without NAV or backup camera.

I'm seeing thru various posting here that owners have been having issues with the factory NAV, some having the OEM unit replaced several times.

Originally, I thought I would source a compatible unit from Ebay and replace her current factory radio, while also adding the backup camera option, but I'm having second thoughts about this because of my perceived high failure rate. I'm not seeing too many people using the LockPick devices with this automobile, which would allow her phone screen to be mirrored on the 8.4 screen and she could use her phone NAV applications. It also gives additional options for adding cameras beyond just the backup camera.

Is there a reason this device is not used more frequently for Dodge Journey's ?

Thank for any input on this. :)

Are you referring to the lock pick not being used frequently? If so, I think it is just that the typical owner of the DJ is not one who is customizing their vehicle much. There is one available and I haven't heard anything bad about the company for quite some time. I have personally considered one, but would rather spend money on other items at this time. It is certainly much cheaper than adding the oem NAV, and probably more reliable...

If you pull the trigger on one (that would be my recommendation given your situation), please report back about the install, function and usability of the device. I'm sure more people would consider one after seeing how easy they are to use and what you can do with them.

Thanks for the reply. Given the issues people are having with the OEM NAV, and seeing how many people on this site have tackled adding factory features like backup cameras, auto-headlights, factory radio upgrades (to add NAV), etc. , I thought I would see and read more reviews about the use of this aftermarket part in this community.

I use my iPhone 6 for NAV. I found a neat mount, made by Insignia, at Best Buy which clips to the center vent. The phone is connected via bluetooth, but if you also plug it into the USB in the console, it will dim the volume on the radio while SIRI calls out navigation points. Being plugged into the USB also charges the phone, and the phone will stay on until the trip is complete. No need to spend extra $. The way I see it, the phone/map is at eye level; you do not have to take your eyes off the road to look at the map. I had a lockpick in my Nitro, but see no reason to get one for my DJ. Dealer installed my rear view camera as part of my purchase agreement.

Thanks for the reply. Given the issues people are having with the OEM NAV, and seeing how many people on this site have tackled adding factory features like backup cameras, auto-headlights, factory radio upgrades (to add NAV), etc. , I thought I would see and read more reviews about the use of this aftermarket part in this community.

I use my iPhone 6 for NAV. I found a neat mount, made by Insignia, at Best Buy which clips to the center vent. The phone is connected via bluetooth, but if you also plug it into the USB in the console, it will dim the volume on the radio while SIRI calls out navigation points. Being plugged into the USB also charges the phone, and the phone will stay on until the trip is complete. No need to spend extra $. The way I see it, the phone/map is at eye level; you do not have to take your eyes off the road to look at the map. I had a lockpick in my Nitro, but see no reason to get one for my DJ. Dealer installed my rear view camera as part of my purchase agreement.

I think dhh3's reply speaks pretty well to why you don't see it... Not necessary and the camera can be added cheaper. People just aren't spending as much to "mod" these vehicles... The rest of the benefits can also be added through other solutions cheaply, so unless your looking to add 4 cameras or something unique, most people find easier/cheaper ways to achieve the same thing. I'd love to see someone do it though. Have at it!

As one of those people who added both the backup camera and upgraded my 8.2 to Navigation, I will say that there are benefits to both.

Yes, some people have been reporting issues with their Nav-equipped radios, but considering how many units they have out there, if 30 or so people have come here for information and to report their problems, consider that there are at least 25,000 or more people with nav-equipped Journeys (not to mention that they use the same radio in the Chrysler 300 and Dodge Challenger) who have NOT had problems.

In my case I used to have a Garmin Bluetooth equipped navigator in my 2011 unit . . . I had it mounted above the rear-view mirror and it worked out well for me. But the current vehicle has an overhead console which prevents me from mounting the unit 'on high' and I REALLY did not like the unit sitting on the dash and I tried using my phone, but it meant killing the battery because it always needed to be plugged in so I could actually use the phone for a whole day when out of the vehicle - so I shopped and purchased the RE5 and popped it into the dash myself. It works just fine and, in the event that it does die, I suppose I can always pop the original non-nav unit in and look for another if I'm so inclined and/or can't get my dealer to help me out by making a claim in my behalf, and assuming I can't get it repaired at a reasonable cost as a last resort (there is a place in Florida that does repairs on these).

The backup cam is extremely useful, though you need to remember to look around, and not only at the screen - you also need to wipe off the lens periodically, because road grime gets sprayed onto the back of the vehicle when driving in the wet.

It would have been best if FCA had decided to leave the camera live after switching out of reverse and until the vehicle was put into drive or Park, but I guess you can't have everything.

I bought the OEM kit from a Dodge dealer on eBay and did the installation myself - it took less than 4 hours.

You will need to get the feature enabled by your dealer who may charge as much as an hour for the privilege - so I let them make the final connections to the back of the radio and to the vehicle's power as part of that one hour charge (if you decide to install it yourself I suggest you not bother extending the power connection to the front of the vehicle, but rather pull the 2 power conductors out of the wiring harness and make the connection at the rear power outlet). The dealer included making the connections in the one hour price for the programming and by making the connection they wind up being responsible in case they mess up the connection AND it seems that OEM accessories carry a one year warranty in they are installed by the dealer - and my work order does say 'to connect and activate', so should it come to pass that there is a problem before the year is up I can probably make a claim.

Whatever your decision, enjoy your DJ.

Edited by bramfrank

I always buy my vehicles by ordering them and I get them "loaded", minus the DVD system. My "youngest" is 45 so I have no need of a backseat DVD system... As such, my vehicles always have the factory NAV installed.

That being said, if I were to obtain a vehicle that didn't have the factory NAV installed, I would not bother to try and get it installed after the fact. I really like mine, however, I use a RM unit in my motorhome in conjunction with the built in navigation that it has; the reason why is that its navigation unit and the MOPAR units don't come with updates for the maps, you have to buy them. The stock map updates for the MOPAR units, from NAVTEQ are a bit over $150. I can buy many different brands of other nav units that come with FREE Lifetime map updates for that amount of money and a whole lot less than trying to obtain a factory unit and then install it or have it installed. Personally, I don't mind the GPS unit sitting on the dash, even the larger units (the Rand McNally that I use in the motor home is 7" and much easier to see than the factory installed unit). There are places that will sell you a bootleg copy of the NAVTEQ update disk, but, if you aren't careful that bootleg copy can turn your whole RER unit into a door stop. Dead, permanently.

There are also other options for getting a backup camera. To be honest, my vehicles have them, but, I find the mirrors and looking out the windows to be more effective, with the exception of seeing if there are an small children behind the vehicle. I'm old and long ago formed the habit of looking around the car before I get into it for "hazards" and even that benefit is marginal for me.

To sum it up; if I were you, I'd buy a good Garmin, Rand McNally or whatever brand "floats your boat" with lifetime map updates (also movable to any car you drive or rent) pocket the money saved and skip the backup camera altogether. That's just my opinion though, you have others here and will probably get more; only you can decide which way to go.

As for the Lock Pick unit? It is a "moder's dream", but, for most of us, the changes it makes to the factory vs. the cost and installation tribulations are of dubious benefit. I've looked at them and couldn't find anything that they did that I wanted so bad that I'd pay the cost and then have to install it or pay to have it installed.

Edited by webslave

Thanks for all the replys !!!

The girlfriend wanted the clean look and user interface of the factory NAV, but I think I'm swaying her away from the idea of retrofitting an OEM into the car. Part of the reason for her getting this new car was to get a new car with a factory warranty, replacing her original car which was 5000 miles from having no warranty. Putting in an OEM NAV will require dealer involvement to add the sales code and activate the unit to her VIN, if I understand correctly. I'm not to sure how "friendly" our local service managers are for adding equipment after the fact (that they don't supply) and not trying to invoke some type of void warranty language. I thought the LockPick device was a plug and play install which augments the factory unit, but I'll need to look closer at the installation guide.

Another thing she isn't aware of is the fact that she can't interact with the factory NAV, inputting addresses, while the car is in motion. Map updates are also a hidden cost that many owners get suprised by.

I liked the idea of the LockPick, where she can mirror her Android phone's screen on the main 8.4" screen when running her phone based NAV, and she can use voice commands with the phone to control it.

Thanks for all the replys !!!

The girlfriend wanted the clean look and user interface of the factory NAV, but I think I'm swaying her away from the idea of retrofitting an OEM into the car. Part of the reason for her getting this new car was to get a new car with a factory warranty, replacing her original car which was 5000 miles from having no warranty. Putting in an OEM NAV will require dealer involvement to add the sales code and activate the unit to her VIN, if I understand correctly. I'm not to sure how "friendly" our local service managers are for adding equipment after the fact (that they don't supply) and not trying to invoke some type of void warranty language. I thought the LockPick device was a plug and play install which augments the factory unit, but I'll need to look closer at the installation guide.

Another thing she isn't aware of is the fact that she can't interact with the factory NAV, inputting addresses, while the car is in motion. Map updates are also a hidden cost that many owners get suprised by.

I liked the idea of the LockPick, where she can mirror her Android phone's screen on the main 8.4" screen when running her phone based NAV, and she can use voice commands with the phone to control it.

The lock pick is indeed plug and play, and the install is not difficult. There is a video from the manufacturer of an install on a DJ.

Well, I'll throw my hat in the ring in favour of a (insert your brand choice here) GPS, instead of the factory NAV system. My wife has one in her Nitro, and while it DOES work like it's supposed to, the inability to do almost ANYTHING with it while driving turned me right off. That, and the price of the updates. Sure, the indash unit is convenient, but not worth the price IMHO. I installed a disk in the center of the dash over the radio and mount the gps there. I find mounting it to the windshield puts it too far away for convenient use.

Edited by BrianS

The only item that goes out of warranty when you swap the radio is the radio itself - and, of course you always have the original, if necessary that you can revert to. If your dealer is friendly he might even warranty the Nav radio, given appropriate incentives. The backup camera would carry a one year warranty if you have the dealer wire it in.

Just so you know.

• 8 months later...

Adding to this old post.

I was told that the newer cars already have the back up camera harness installed and it's a pretty easy addon to my 2015. Just a few allen screws and push pins and then add the camera kit. Can anyone confirm this. Thanks.

Edited by ebang

Found this info on the net.

This job is a piece of cake. I was told all 13's are prewired for the camera. I bought the Mopar Camera kit on eBay for $190. Didn't even have to take the trunk lid liner off, just took off 3 push pins and 2 allen screws, unscrew the 2 rubber bumpers and pulled it down enough to get to the 2 bolts that hold the 3rd brake light in. 10 minute job. Took it to the dealer $45 to update the vin with the sales code and reflash. Even my wife could install this.

jrc1122

Well, it might be true, since the connector on the back of my radio had wires poking into the relevant locations, but I could not for the life of me find the other end anywhere in the tailgate. Since the kit came with the harness I just went ahead and wired it all up - if there really is a harness out back I need only reconnect the video wires in the event of a cable failure down the road (pun intended) if necessary.

But that last post doesn't make a lot of sense for our vehicles, since the 3rd brake light in a Journey is at the top of the hatch and the camera is in the bezel that holds the unlock button, license plate light and handle - and that entire component has to be changed - and it is held in place by a bolt that requires you to remove the liner.

Edited by bramfrank

My Dealer installed the camera on my 2014 as part of my purchase, and I can attest to the fact that the harness was NOT there. The tech had to remove most of the interior panels on the driver's side of the car to properly install the harness. Initially, there was a harness hanging down from somewhere towards the top of the dash, and he was hoping that it was for the camera. Alas, not to be. So he had to run the harness front to back. I still have no idea what this harness is hanging down behind my radio!.

I thought that this might be the harness for Auto lights: one which would run from the sensor to the switch. But, the Auto lights run off of the CanBus. All that is needed is the correct sensor and light switch, both of which I have installed. Auto lights has mysteriously disappeared from the sales code list, so I can't have them activated until the code is once again available on the list.

Edited by dhh3