2015 R/T: Key Fob Not Detected

I bought a brand new 2015 Journey R/T w/ a window sticker of almost $36K on 2/6/15.

Nine days later I get a "Key Fob Not Detected" message from both fobs and my brand new R/T would't start even after trying 10x over an hour's time.

It was a cold February Ohio morning near 5F.

It has 498 miles on the clock.

AAA tried to start it also and it wouldn't start w/ same message "No key Fob Detected" message......so he flat-bedded it over to a nearby Dodge-Chrysler Dealer and it wouldn't start f/ them either despite several attemps.

Some time later in the day they dragged it inside the service area where the R/T apparently warmed up a bit and............it started.

The service mgr. tells me it starts every time now........so they have put it back outside in the cold to see what happens.

He also tells me he has NO IDEA WHY THIS IS HAPPENING.

I see where my probelm is not an isolated incident.

Has anyone out there figured out WTF the root cause of this problem is?

PEACE

If you are having radio issues (or even if you are not) and plan to keep the car you should seriously consider an extended warranty. You do not want to know how much some of the modules in these vehicles costs - like C$1700 for the nav radio (you can find used ones out there for less, but . . . .)

I bought a brand new 2015 Journey R/T w/ a window sticker of almost $36K on 2/6/15.

Nine days later I get a "Key Fob Not Detected" message from both fobs and my brand new R/T would't start even after trying 10x over an hour's time.

It was a cold February Ohio morning near 5F.

It has 498 miles on the clock.

AAA tried to start it also and it wouldn't start w/ same message "No key Fob Detected" message......so he flat-bedded it over to a nearby Dodge-Chrysler Dealer and it wouldn't start f/ them either despite several attemps.

Some time later in the day they dragged it inside the service area where the R/T apparently warmed up a bit and............it started.

The service mgr. tells me it starts every time now........so they have put it back outside in the cold to see what happens.

He also tells me he has NO IDEA WHY THIS IS HAPPENING.

I see where my probelm is not an isolated incident.

Has anyone out there figured out WTF the root cause of this problem is?

PEACE

Was the root cause of this issue ever determined? If this should ever happen to you (or anyone) again, follow this procedure first as suggested earlier before having the car towed:

Keyless Ignition Node (KIN)

This feature allows the driver to operate the ignition with the push of a button as long as the Remote Keyless Entry (RKE) transmitter is in the passenger compartment.

The Keyless Ignition Node (KIN System) has four operating positions, three of which are labeled and will illuminate when in position. The three positions are: OFF, ACC, and ON/RUN. The fourth position is START. During start, ON/RUN will illuminate.

NOTE:

In case the ignition does not change with the push of a button, the RKE transmitter (Key Fob) may have a low or dead battery. In this situation, a back up method can be used to operate the ignition switch. Put the nose side (side opposite of the emergency key) of the Key Fob against the Engine START/STOP button and push to operate the ignition.

GUID-020236152-low.png

• 7 months later...

runcnc:

I can pretty much assure you that that was not the OP's issue.

The OP reports he got the 'FOB not detected' message, meaning that the vehicle was asked to do something that required the FOB to be in range.

You get a different message, specifically one directing you to press the brake pedal when you press the start button and you aren't already pressing on it, so your question is likely redundant.