Brake upgrade inquiry

Marius

Couldn't have said it better. ANYTHING other than oem is an upgrade on this vehicle. I went with the Calahan set for all 4 corners (sold on Amazon, under $200) and was pleasantly surprised at the quality. Normally I would stray from a cheap kit like that, but 40k miles later and still issue free. They work awesome, don't warp, don't make any noise, and are wearing nice and slow. I'd expect to easily get another 40k miles out of them. And my wife is pretty hard on the brakes...

http://www.amazon.com/Callahan-Premium-Ceramic-Brake-CK002564/dp/B00E1SNKB8/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1421367818&sr=8-1&keywords=callahan+dodge+journey+brakes

I used EBC slotted and dimpled rotors and green stuff pads on my Dakota and Ram (both undersized OEM brakes IMO) and the difference was unbelievable... I would strongly recommend them.

Funny, but I just put the order through this morning for EBC Blackdash slotted rotors front/rear and set of Yellowstuff 4000 pads front/rear

I'm done twiddling my thumbs with these guys. It's my kids that ride in that car on a daily basis, I don't want a tragedy to happen because of an asshole somewhere counting beans. Definitely lesson learned for the future though, I won't get burned twice, I promise you that.

Atta boy! Now the cost of the EBC brakes doesn't seem that expensive. Remember that the rear caliper pistons need to be rotated in DO NOT USE a c-clamp. Good luck with it! :)

INSTALLATION

NOTE

Perform >>> through >>> on each side of vehicle to complete pad set installation, then proceed to >>>.

CAUTION

Anytime the brake rotor or brake pads are being replaced, the rear caliper piston must be seated (bottomed) to compensate for the new brake rotor or lining. Because the parking brake self-adjuster mechanism is attached to the piston, a special seating method is required. The only acceptable method is by rotating the piston back into the bore using , as described below. Any other seating method will damage the self-adjuster mechanism.

GUID-05-013-010-57811.gif

SEATING PISTON WITH SPECIAL TOOL

1. If necessary, seat (bottom) the caliper piston in the bore as follows:

• Assemble a 3/8 in. drive ratchet handle and an extension (3).

• Insert the extension through Special Tool

GUID-05-000-000-3380265.gif

Assembly, Forcing Screw

(2).

• Place Special Tool

GUID-05-000-000-3380261.gif

Adapter

(1) on the end of the extension.

• Insert lugs on Special Tool

Adapter

into notches in face of caliper piston (5).

• Thread the screw drive on

GUID-05-000-000-3380265.gif

Assembly, Forcing Screw

down until it contacts the top of GUID-05-000-000-3380261.gif

Adapter

which is against the caliper piston. Do not over tighten the screw-drive. Damage to the piston can occur.

• Turn

Adapter

with the ratchet, rotating the piston in a clockwise direction until fully seated (bottomed) in the bore. It may be necessary to turn GUID-05-000-000-3380265.gif

Assembly, Forcing Screw

with GUID-05-000-000-3380261.gif

Adapter

Edited by Journey_SeXT

• to start the process of piston retraction.

GUID-05-013-100-91812.gif

If caliper adapter was replaced, install caliper adapter bolts (1) and tighten to 100 N-m (74 ft-lbs).

GUID-05-000-000-57809.gif

REAR BRAKE PADS

NOTE

There are two different abutment shims. If installed in wrong orientation, pads will not fit properly.

NOTE

If the brake pads have a protective paper on the rear face of the brake pad plate, it must be removed before pad installation.

Assure adapter abutments are free from debris or corrosion. Apply an even layer of Mopar© Brake Lubricant or equivalent to entire area of four abutments PRIOR to shim installation. Install four new pad shims (4).

Place the brake pads (2, 5) in the abutment shims (4) clipped into the disc brake caliper adapter bracket (3) as shown.

GUID-05-000-000-91639.gif

REAR CALIPER MOUNTING

CAUTION

Use care when installing the caliper (2) onto the adapter bracket to avoid damaging the guide pin boots.

CAUTION

When removing or installing a caliper guide pin bolt, it is necessary to hold the guide pin stationary while turning the bolt. Hold the guide pin stationary using a wrench placed upon the pin's hex-shaped head.

Install the disc brake caliper (2) over the brake pads on the brake caliper adapter bracket (3).

Align the caliper guide pin bolt holes with the adapter bracket. Install the upper and lower caliper guide pin bolts (1). Tighten the guide pin bolts to 35 N·m (26 ft. lbs.).

GUID-02-010-016-91244.gif

TIRE AND WHEEL MOUNTING

Install tire and wheel assembly (1) (Refer to Tires and Wheels - Installation). Install and tighten wheel mounting nuts (3) to 135 N·m (100 ft. lbs.).

Lower vehicle.

Pump brake pedal several times to ensure vehicle has a firm brake pedal before moving vehicle.

You rock buddy, thanks for the how-to. Indeed they were not ridiculously expensive: Slotted, dimpled rotors front/rear and Yellowstuff 4000 front/rear were 600$ US

Pretty good for 3+ years of piece of mind.

Anyway, so rear calipers I need to seat the piston due to the handbrake setup? What about the front, anything special to them? I have ratchets, I don't think I have the other tool. Time to buy more tools, win-win :rockon: ...wife will be so impressed.

Atta boy! Now the cost of the EBC brakes doesn't seem that expensive. Remember that the rear caliper pistons need to be rotated in DO NOT USE a c-clamp. Good luck with it! :)

You can go to Canadian Tire or Parts Source and rent the tools needed for the brakes. Here are some DIY video's that are probably better than the instructions posted above so or can be used together.

Rear Brake Pad Replacement on Dodge Journey:

Front Pad Replacement: (NOT a Dodge Journey but the work is relatively the same)

Paul's travel's also has many useful tutorials:

http://www.paulstravelpictures.com/Dodge-Journey-Front-Brake-Pads-Replacement-Guide/index.html

Edited by Journey_SeXT

Fronts just press in like normal. Since I do my own brakes and I have 5 vehicles, I purchased a brake tool set off amazon for like $60. It has all adapters necessary to do brakes on just about every car out there.

Yah, I should definitely invest in the brake tool set as my cube brake tool to rotate the piston back is really not the greatest....but works. Princess Auto also has the tool set at a decent cost.

Edited by Journey_SeXT

Fronts just press in like normal. Since I do my own brakes and I have 5 vehicles, I purchased a brake tool set off amazon for like $60. It has all adapters necessary to do brakes on just about every car out there.

Yah, I should definitely invest in the brake tool set as my cube brake tool to rotate the piston back is really not the greatest....but works. Princess Auto also has the tool set at a decent cost.

More tools, definitely! :) I already wanted to order some "schtuff" off Amazon as I'm trying to fit staggered rims on my '99 E320 wagon. I'll check PA as well. What brand did you guys pick up btw?

Fo' shizzle, so, since you put me on the spot -riiiiight :)- just ordered the Astro 18+8 brake tool set

Also, since I'm putting a new staggered set of rims/tires on the Mercedes wagon I went ahead and bought me a birthday present: Eastwood fender roller, Dewalt LCD displayed heat gun, Dewalt infrared thermometer. Lucky for me, the aforementioned birthday is close enough to avoid physical harm inflicted by the "better half".

It's better than Christmas. I swear.

PS: Yes, I'll make sure to post all videos/pics of the DIYs

Great, looking forward to hearing about a job well done. BTW before you complete this weekend DIY project don't forget to pull out the caliper slide pins clean and grease them. I use this one http://www.canadiantire.ca/en/pdp/permatex-caliper-lube-80-ml-0383794p.html#.VML5r_7F-Hw and this one is also great http://www.amazon.com/Sil-Glyde-Silicone-Lubricating-Compound-Ounce/dp/B0054DWS1W

• 1 month later...

Has anyone done an EBC - rotors and pads - upgrade so far? I'm looking into getting my front/rear switched to something I feel comfortable having my family in. Long story, don't ask, just would appreciate some feedback.

I have some EBC Ultimax 2 to fit (costs £20 for a whole axle set in the UK) and Delphi discs will let you know how that goes

I found that GSF in the UK supply Brembo discs but havnt been able to find matching pads and calipers :(