20/20 Reporting carmax

Dee

I have purchased 4 vehicles from them, including my current DJ. Never had an issue, problem or complaint. I rank 20/20 stories right up there with supermarket tabloids. Anything for ratings. Just like car reviews. I prefer to form my own opinions based on my personal experience.

Probably more like consumer reports AND supermarket tabloids! They call it 20/20 because it's only 1/3 as good as 60 minutes!

I don't know jkeaton, I take at word when the guy is on camera saying one thing when it's another. "We don't sell cars with recalls." When in fact has 3 recalls, one is a fire hazard. Just an eye opener in used car sales. It goes to show not all accidents are reported in one place. The written articles doesn't show the lady that got stuck with a vehicle that had been in an accident and now she's got exploding tires and other problems.

Just an eye opener that you think all information on a vehicle is in one place when it's not, regardless of who you purchase it from.

I agree. There is always a certain amount of risk purchasing a used vehicle from any source. It is up to the buyer to do his/her research and become an informed consumer. That same report could be repeated at countless used car dealerships around the country. They just picked carmax because it's a known operation.

Edited by jkeaton

No, they targeted CarMax because CarMax puts in writing their 100 and something safety point check, along with all their vehicles are safe to drive. I actually thought that CarMax was a step above a regular dealership, shame on me, but I'd expect to live by "this vehicle wasn't ever in an accident" when in fact not only in an accident, but deemed unsafe to drive. Well, it doesn't affect me, I'm not buying used, I just need to make sure my new vehicles have never been tilted or worse, salvaged due to a flood or something.

I only buy Mopar from one Dealer. They are a Five Star, if that still means anything anymore.

I haven't watched the 3 main networks, ABC, NBC, and NBC, for years. Their reporting is biased, and opinion orientated. They do not report the news as it is, and their programming is horrible.

No, they targeted CarMax because CarMax puts in writing their 100 and something safety point check, along with all their vehicles are safe to drive. I actually thought that CarMax was a step above a regular dealership, shame on me, but I'd expect to live by "this vehicle wasn't ever in an accident" when in fact not only in an accident, but deemed unsafe to drive. Well, it doesn't affect me, I'm not buying used, I just need to make sure my new vehicles have never been tilted or worse, salvaged due to a flood or something.

Thats good. You are an informed consumer. I cant count how many times I've heard horror stories from folks who have bought used vehicles with guarantees that it was 1) never in an accident, 2) had all recalls performed, 3) owned by a little old lady who hardly ever drove it, 4) Transmission/engine, etc has been rebuilt, and come to find out none is true. Our DJ is still covered by the factory bumper to bumper, plus we purchased a 7 year 100k bumper to bumper on top of that. I, again, feel confident about this purchase from Carmax. Until they screw me over, I will continue to use them. Who knows, maybe they are baiting me. On a side note, I would not use them to purchase a truly "used" vehicle. We have only purchased ones that are 1-2 years old and have low mileage. I use craigslist if I'm looking for an older, higher mileage "beater" vehicle, knowing that I will have to do some sort of repairs, catch-up maintenance on my own.

Edited by jkeaton

I only buy Mopar from one Dealer. They are a Five Star, if that still means anything anymore.

I haven't watched the 3 main networks, ABC, NBC, and NBC, for years. Their reporting is biased, and opinion orientated. They do not report the news as it is, and their programming is horrible.

Ha! That's only 2 networks... Just because you say one twice doesn't make it 3!! :lol:

• 11 months later...

I never thought I would buy from CarMax, but they happened to have a 2014 Journey Limited with 10,000 miles. It was just what I was looking for. Couldn't find it anywhere near me at any dealership. One dealership 2 hrs away had an R/T same year, 24,000 miles, same price. They were stereotypical car salespeople. 1- they didn't list the selling price on the car on their website.They wouldn't e-mail the price unless I gave them all kinds of info. (1 week after complaining to the sales mgr, I noticed the prices on their website) They listed the car as power liftgate (what a joke), navigation and sunroof (their website pics did not show either). Miserable! I told them to take a hike.

It was a pleasure buying from CarMax. I did my homework and found the price to be very fair. My vehicle has a trailer hitch which we will use for a bike rack on a regular basis. It took about 45-50 mins to drive away after I arrived for my "closing" appointment. No sales pitch for extended warranty or etched windows or bottom coating or nitrogen b.s. They put a yellow bow on the car ( a little cheesy, but a nice touch just the same) and they're mailing me the license plate and gave me a signed $20 check for the DMV when I have the VIN # verified since it came out of state.

They did a recall check and they seemed serious and thorough about this. I checked myself prior to the closing re: any recalls and didn't find any. Turns out- craziest thing -1 week after I bought the Limited, there's a recall! The recall is so new that the local Dodge dealer doesn't have the instructions for the repair yet. I can't imagine that CarMax could have known about it. You have to know what you're buying with CarMax since the salesperson may not know a whole lot about the car you're interested in, but if you do your homework, I think they're just as trust worthy as any "certified pre-owned" car dealer.

drjbg230

The recall is non-fatal and is new enough that the recall letters started to hit the postal system only last week, so don't sweat that and don't expect your dealer to have the instructions or the potential replacement parts in stock yet either.

For the vast majority of owners all they will do it to squirt some Silicone Seal into a bundle of wires where they exit a control module - then they'll send you home.

Even major dealers are a little shaky . The 2009 I bought from supposly had a safety inspection done , new tires , four wheel alignment , new brakes on all four wheels and oil change . Was told the last owner had all this done and while waiting to pick it up decided to trade.

Bottom line , it did have new tires and maybe a alignment , but I had to do a brake job right away and replace the battery and the oil was in need of a change.

It's always a gamble , car fax show no problems with the car but after a bit the paint on the hood started to fade fast after a couple of washes and I could see where it had been in somebody's shop to repair hail damage .

Not a big deal I like the car but feel like the wool had been pulled over my eyes a bit with the paint. Wonder what they used to make it look so good for 3 months

Dusty, if the brakes were done hopefully they paid for the replacement.

it was a local Chevy dealer and I could tell the brakes where not touched. Front drivers side was missing caliper slides clips which caused that side to lock up . Rotors where beyond service life too. I did not press the issue because I went with aftermarket rotors and pads .

They more or less claimed a lot more was done to the truck than they did before they sold it.