Exposed metal painting help

sputnik

Hello All

Had an unfortunate accident couple of days ago and scraped the rear fender on drivers side with another car. No bumps or dents, but the fender has a thin strip of metal exposed right at the edge. The car is barely 2 months old :(

Dealer gave me an estimate of $1000+ :cry: So, I am getting some quotes from independent body shops and checking with them the cost for restoring the paint finish.

I can live with a scratch it's no big deal...however, my only concern is the exposed metal and if it will start rusting, if left untreated. Any suggestions ideas on DIY. The idea is to cover the exposed area with matching paint and prevent the paint around from chipping further

Any help is appreciated.

Thanks,

You won't be able to keep the paint around it from chipping further by just using touchup paint. Bite the bullet and get it fixed proper, especially seing how the car is only a couple months old. To answer your question... yes, unprotected bare metal will eventually rust.

Edited by Lvcoyote

Thanks onecrazyfoo4u I agree with your idea.

I am based in Montreal Canada, can anyone please let me know where I can order the pen from?

The Genuine Mopar ones are available in your dealer's parts department... Generics should be easily found at any decent auto parts store. Grab your paint code off of the sticker in the door jam and either go to the dealer or roll your dice at the parts store.

You can get mopar all the colors on ebay for about $10-11 with free shipping.

This for example: http://www.ebay.com/itm/2013-new-oem-factory-touch-up-paint-tube-Chrysler-Jeep-Dodge-passenger-minivan-/161454423939?pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&hash=item25976eff83&vxp=mtr

Edited by onecrazyfoo4u

• 2 weeks later...

I'm no paint expert, I've only restored a Chrysler Cordoba; removed the rust, filled, sanded and got ready for paint. BUT, I've watched videos on paint chip repairs, like the pearl coats, and they showed a 3 step process.

• 2 weeks later...