Cheapest option for headlights replacement

Hello folks,

Long time no speak, but as mentioned previously in another post, I was dealing with some issues. Anyway, no that Winter is here, I am finding that driving at night (5pm onwards) is very tricky with the headlight son my canadian value package 2014 DJ.

Any suggestions for a cheap option to replace the bulbs to something brighter for now????

Thanks

For the highs go with a 9011 HIR bulb, it's a perfect fit. I would go this way over HID just for the instant on, no warm up time.

I'm thinking of replacing my lows and highs with Silverstars.

You will be wasting your money going with Silverstars! Silverstars offer the same amount of lumens, or less lumens then your current bulbs. They have a slight blue coating that gives a whiter look over normal bulbs. That whiter look makes you think the bulbs are brighter but they are not as the lumens are less. Lumens determine actual brightness.
Your best lighting options with a halogen bulb would be HIR bulbs.

Hi Beam: 9005, 12.8V, 65W, 1700 lumens, 320 hours.
Hi Beam ... HIR1(9011), 12.8V, 65W, 2530 lumens, 400 hours.
Silverstar ultra: 9005, 12.8V, 65W, 1700 lumens, 100 hours.

Lo Beam: 9006, 12.8V, 55W, 1006 lumens, 360 hours.
Lo Beam ... HIR2(9012), 12.8V, 55W, 1875 lumens, 1000 hours.
Silverstar ultra: 9006, 12.8V, 55W, 1000 lumens, 200 hours.

HID capsule - 35 watts - 2800 lumens

Edited by Powerz69

For the highs go with a 9011 HIR bulb, it's a perfect fit. I would go this way over HID just for the instant on, no warm up time.

You will be wasting your money going with Silverstars! Silverstars offer the same amount of lumens, or less lumens then your current bulbs. They have a slight blue coating that gives a whiter look over normal bulbs. That whiter look makes you think the bulbs are brighter but they are not as the lumens are less. Lumens determine actual brightness.

This... Unless you want to do a full upgrade, this is going to be your best bet. Watch out for impostors... Silverstars are junk, I would not recommend them to my worst enemy.

I'll probably end up going the HIR route. I had HID on my Charger for the 3 years I had it and it was a big headache. I have no interest in screwing around with trying this thing or that thing to solve problems presented by HID on a canbus vehicle that was never intended by dodge to have anything other than halogen (had my charger been one month newer it would have been a 2008, which was designed to accept HID without issue, as an optional extra). My DD doesn't need to be giving me headaches... my toy does that enough already with all the mods I've done to it lol.

I'll probably end up going the HIR route. I had HID on my Charger for the 3 years I had it and it was a big headache. I have no interest in screwing around with trying this thing or that thing to solve problems presented by HID on a canbus vehicle that was never intended by dodge to have anything other than halogen (had my charger been one month newer it would have been a 2008, which was designed to accept HID without issue, as an optional extra). My DD doesn't need to be giving me headaches... my toy does that enough already with all the mods I've done to it lol.

For what it is worth, the DJ doesn't seem to have issues with HIDs... Many people have installed them without issue. I am using the TRS Mopar specific harness on my retro with no problems, but others report that they have installed nothing additional and that they work without incident.

Hello Mate,

Thanks for the recommendation. So where is the best place to get this for us Canucks? I'll be looking to change both the Lo and Hi beams....the factory bulbs on the CVP (no fog lights), is bordering on ridiculous and driving from 5pm onwards is just bloody dangerous