Ethanol vs non ethanol

journeydad

I've used non-ethanol 91 (Shell) a few times and haven't seen any significant difference in MPG consumption. Any difference in mpg wouldn't be enough to justify the difference in cost from regular gas. I would think if there were any gains from using it you can be certain that Dodge would be recommending that fuel to use.....but they don't. You may want to read the highlighted part of the the attachment I posted from your owners manual that deals with this question.

post-4656-0-24235000-1410574148_thumb.pn

Edited by Journey_SeXT

I'm not sure the breaking down of Ethanol plays much of a role... From experience, I have two antique cars; a 1976 Cadillac Eldorado and a 1989 Chrysler LeBaron Turbo that is factory custom (options not available on the 1989 LeBaron) and both are only run once a year, so the gas sits for years before I run it low enough to "fill up". Both use Ethanol fuel (the only fuel available in my area) and I've never had an issue, and I don't use any Stabil like additive. The last time I got gas for the Cadillac was in 2010 (36 gallon tank) and the last time I got gas for the LeBaron was in 2012... For most folks, the breakdown of Ethanol is a non-issue. It does break down and it is hydrophillic, but, over a long period of time, not a matter of weeks or months.

Today's cars are designed to use Ethanol; all of the seals are designed to handle it and the vehicle is engineered to use a certain octane (regular 87, certainly not 91). Using a higher octane or paying more for non-Ethanol fuel is just flushing your money down the drain. If I had an older car, like the 1962 Avanti R2 that I've got my eye on, then non-Ethanol fuel becomes more of an issue since the rubber parts in its fuel system isn't designed for the corrosive effects of Ethanol and the valves are not designed for lack of lead as a coolant.

If we're talking E10 versus 100% petroluem, the difference is there, though negligible. If I had a choice of 87 E10 and 87 E0 for my Journey or 89 E10 and 89 E0 for my Special, I'd pick the cheaper option, and if 91 octane is the only non-ethanol fuel available I'd fill up with 87 E10 and be on my merry way. The putting 91 into a Journey is akin to flushing cash down the toilet. My Special sits for longer periods of time, getting only 5-7,000 miles per year, and hasn't had an issue related to fuel (yet). Both cars get a strict diet of Shell fuel due to discount programs I use, so both get E10 around here.

The real difference is in choosing E85 versus E10 or E0. In which case, RUN AWAY from E85. The fuel consumption is much worse, which results in higher cost per tank versus E10 or E0. Not to mention the power loss associated with it that causes that poor fuel economy, and if you do leave it in there for extended periods you run the risk of water problems.

I guess you can say we disagree about ethanol, I use 91 based fuel, maybe throwing my money away. I believe there is a improvement and I guess that is up too everyone individual preference.

What improvements is it that you believe you are seeing? I guess that I am going to trust that the info in the manual was the result of engineering studies and that Dodge would not knowingly and purposefully break the law by making the statement it does if it were not true... That, and I'll save a buck wherever I can!

(sic...)

The real difference is in choosing E85 versus E10 or E0. In which case, RUN AWAY from E85. The fuel consumption is much worse, which results in higher cost per tank versus E10 or E0. Not to mention the power loss associated with it that causes that poor fuel economy, and if you do leave it in there for extended periods you run the risk of water problems.

Definitely agree, and hence the reason, I'll never own a "Flex Fuel" vehicle. I'm one of those, by personal preference and economic/scientific evidence, that still believes that corn belongs on the table, either as the vegetable/grain/oil itself, or suitable feed for animals for consumption, and not subsidized and put in a gas tank for less power, higher cost, more maintenance issues and dubious benefits to our oil importation problems.

What improvements is it that you believe you are seeing? I guess that I am going to trust that the info in the manual was the result of engineering studies and that Dodge would not knowingly and purposefully break the law by making the statement it does if it were not true... That, and I'll save a buck wherever I can!

I do get km/miles per tank. It seems to run better, i was using 87 octane had a tick in the engine, switched to higher octane noise gone. It seems to have better performance, step on the gas better response. The engine would have a slight shutter can even be noticed on the tach, went to the better fuel corrected that problem. So for me it is worth it.

A tick or a

I do get km/miles per tank. It seems to run better, i was using 87 octane had a tick in the engine, switched to higher octane noise gone. It seems to have better performance, step on the gas better response. The engine would have a slight shutter can even be noticed on the tach, went to the better fuel corrected that problem. So for me it is worth it.

Are you getting a tick, ping or a knock sound? Ticking engines are not fuel related but a ping or a knock is. If only premium fuels cure your 2014's sounds you need to get yourself down to the dealership and get it taken care of. BTW what fuel are you using to see the different results because I use top tier fuels exclusively and have tried both regular and premium and never found any difference at all except for the lighter wallet.

This is from my owner's manual...

E-85 Flexible Fuel – 3.6L Engine Only
CAUTION!
Only vehicles with the E-85 fuel filler door label or a yellow gas cap can operate on E-85
Mine has neither a door label or a yellow gas cap. I had also asked at the dealership before I ordered the car... "I don't want FlexFuel, does the car automatically come with it or can I order it without" and was told that my '13 would not be FlexFuel. He didn't say whether they weren't making them (Journeys) in '13 with FlexFuel or whether he would order it without. In either case, my DJ is 87 octane or 87 E10...no E85 for me! B)