Paint thickness?

B4ZINGA

I'm curious if anyone has noticed defects in the paint of their Journey. My 2014 R/T Rallye was built February 2014, and I acquired it used in May 2014 (2000 miles on it, no evidence it was repainted when compared to brand new Journey's on the same lot). When I detailed it in June and August, I couldn't help but notice a lack of base coat on the corner/edge of the hood on the driver's side nearest the windshield, on the edge shared with the fender. I've also noticed on two occasions while the setting sun was almost directly hitting the driver's fender that I could see right through the basecoat. The color is Pitch Black, so I know it wasn't just metal flake in the paint reflecting from the sun. I've looked at other Journey's in the Detroit area and they all seem to be fine on at least the hood corner, so I'm considering having the dealer look at it and see about getting this corrected under warranty before winter hits. I'm wondering if anyone else here has noticed this on their Journeys. I can't say I'm surprised, considering these cars are built as quickly as possible in Mexico. I'm concerned about the paint thickness around the entire vehicle and will likely ask either the dealer or another body shop take paint thickness readings around the car.

I want to buff the car to fix some swirling, but I'm concerned that the paint may be too thin, especially on that fender that appears to not have much basecoat.

I can't say I'm surprised, considering these cars are built as quickly as possible in Mexico.

*Yawn*

I'm sure the US plants take their time as they aren't under any time constraints, right? Mine was built in Mexico just like all the others you compared yours to. Chrysler ensures that the cars from toluca are the same as michigan. The shirt you're wearing was sewn in a sweat shop in China. Your shoes constructed in Indonesia. Your iPhone was manufactured God knows where. What's your point? Get your paint checked. I hope you don't have anything wrong. Oh, and be careful of those shady American capitalists, they own body shops too. If anything is wrong with your paint, I wouldn't be at all surprised to find an American company behind it. Merica! Right?

Peace.

These vehicles (almost all made anywhere) are painted

by robots programmed to the task.

Therefore "X" amount of electrostatic

paint is applied to each and every body

coming down the line in theory.

They paint 2 bodies in the same booth at

the same time 2 different colours without

so much as a speck of either colour ending

up on the wrong body.

My niece is a final inspection worker at

the Chrysler minivan plant in Windsor

Ontario and says they very few incidents

of poor paints application.

Yours maybe an exception or it was polished out

at final inpection.

*Yawn*

I'm sure the US plants take their time as they aren't under any time constraints, right? Mine was built in Mexico just like all the others you compared yours to. Chrysler ensures that the cars from toluca are the same as michigan. The shirt you're wearing was sewn in a sweat shop in China. Your shoes constructed in Indonesia. Your iPhone was manufactured God knows where. What's your point? Get your paint checked. I hope you don't have anything wrong. Oh, and be careful of those shady American capitalists, they own body shops too. If anything is wrong with your paint, I wouldn't be at all surprised to find an American company behind it. Merica! Right?

Peace.

Sigh. Never said US plants were superior (nor will I ever say that, from what I've seen on the line at various facilities). Just stating that what I've seen come out of plants there, both from my company's facilities and other supplier and customer facilities, combined with the expediency of assembly to meet demand means I'm not surprised if a few quality checks are missed or skipped. No need to jump up and down on a soapbox shouting about where my non-existant iPhone was made (my phone was made in Fort Worth, TX, but that's beside the point).

Back to paint. I'll advise when I know more, but if anyone who found similar problems has experiences to share, feel free.

If you are buffing out swirls you should be working in the clear coat, so you really shouldn't have to worry about touching the paint (unless you are way over aggressive). I wouldn't worry about buffing it in the meantime while you wait to hear from the dealer...

Sigh. Never said US plants were superior (nor will I ever say that, from what I've seen on the line at various facilities). Just stating that what I've seen come out of plants there, both from my company's facilities and other supplier and customer facilities, combined with the expediency of assembly to meet demand means I'm not surprised if a few quality checks are missed or skipped. No need to jump up and down on a soapbox shouting about where my non-existant iPhone was made (my phone was made in Fort Worth, TX, but that's beside the point).

Got it.

Peace.

• 2 months later...

i have a 2014 d j , pitch black as well. purchased in June 2014. i have notice very brittle and thin base and clear coat. first off i noticed damage to the right and under the gas cap at the edge of the panel. Pain was cracked and peeled off. 1 inch by 1 inch. No metal damage though (thought someone must have clipped me) .. then after a hand wash and dry i noticed 4 or more stone chips allover the car, I touched them up. a week later 4 or five more. ( I have never been on a dirt road or in bad conditions. i can pick the paint away with my finger. I spray base coat .for Toyota and have some knowledge of paint. there may have been a bad run of cars .(temperature , humidity, contamination, etc, get it tested,and complain . i am on monday

I have a paint defect on the lower left corner of the liftgate. You only notice it in very specific light conditons in a reflection off of the top of the rear bumper cover. I would describe it as a blotch. I have chosen just to leave it alone, as repairing it involves painting the liftgate and blending into the surrounding areas. The local bodyshop did a good job matching the color when they painted the front fascia after it was hit, but to me repairing this small, hardly noticeable area is not worth the risk of creating additional problems. With the exception of this one small blotch, the rest of the paint is flawless and appears to be miles deep.