6th cylinder misfire

journey730

my engine light came on and the diagnostic code was for a misfire in the 6th cylinder. I went to the shop and they changed all my spark plugs but not my coils. about 30 miles later the light came on again with same code. I would like to change the coil on the 6th cylinder my self so i can avoid getting jerked around. I saw the firing diagram that the 6th cylinder is in front right. I have a 2011 journey 3.6l V6. Is it easy to access?

Swap a coil around and see if, in fact, it is a bad coil before spending money on a new one.

A good idea for this and any other instance where there is a questionable failure and there are multiple units that can be swapped around. If it (the problem) moves, then that's the culprit, if it doesn't, then it is back to square one. Beats the "shotgun" method where you pick a piece and hope that it is the problem.

not sure if this helps but my daughters 2007 caravan coil pack went bad causing alot of problems so it got replaced by a mech. and ran fine for about a week them went bad again and on my sugg she took it back to the dealership and after a week and a full tune up wires,plugs and whatever about $700. they said it is fixed about a week later went bad again took it back to a different mech he replaced the coil pack again and the next day it was messing up again so she took it back again and by then it was running ok the mech said leave it with me and tried starting it several times with no problems so he started flexing the wires leading to the coil pack and it started to mess up well the problem was inside the connector on the wire that connects to the coil pack so he replaced it and problem was fixed. so check your wireing going to whatever you are having a problem with.. years ago had the same problem with a connector going to a electric fan in front of the rad. so dont get so fixed on a problem that you cant see anything else that might be the problem good luck

i have 74k miles and i am going to try the switch around method like someone mentioned. because each cylinder has its own coil. however there is so much in the way to access even the front plugs. I cant find any diagrams or instruction on what i need to remove b4 i make it a bigger project than needed. anybody have or know where i can get instructions on accessing the spark plugs? thanks

might want to check and see what your warranty would cover since your still in the 5yr/100k.. good luck DANG i just went outside and pulled the engine cover off and i couldnt find anything that looked like plug wires or spark plugs. WOW they really have them hid good...good luck on what ever you do and let us know what happens.....

Edited by 2late4u

might want to check and see what your warranty would cover since your still in the 5yr/100k.. good luck DANG i just went outside and pulled the engine cover off and i couldnt find anything that looked like plug wires or spark plugs. WOW they really have them hid good...good luck on what ever you do and let us know what happens.....

They haven't used plug wires for some time... They are coil packs (black squares with what appears to be potting on the top). The wires leading to them are much thinner that a plug wire too, so if you don't know what you are looking for it may be hard to see. On the image on the left side of this page (http://www.allpar.com/mopar/phoenix-engines.html) the coil packs are the 3 black squares on the top with the 2 bolts in them...

I think you have to remove the intake manifold to access them.

I think you have to remove the intake manifold to access them.

Correct - the upper intake manifold must be removed. Unless you have the correct tools and experience, this should be left to a technician whose skill level is commensurate with the job. Going by the Labor Operation number assigned to this job by Chrysler, I would have to delegate this job to one of my techs whose training level was second highest or highest (level 2 or 3) in order to submit a warranty claim in the event that we were doing this job under warranty. Here's an overview:

08 - Electrical/8I - Ignition Control/COIL, Ignition/Removal 3.6L
collapse.gif Labor Operations: Click to display a list of Labor Operations associated with this procedure

GUID-08-064-031-2712055.jpg

1. Disconnect and isolate the negative battery cable.
  2. If removing the ignition coils from cylinders 1 and 3 on the RH side of the engine, first remove the resonator (Refer to 09 - Engine/Air Intake System/RESONATOR, Air Cleaner - Removal) .
  3. If removing the ignition coils from cylinders 2, 4 or 6 on the LH side of the engine, first remove the upper intake manifold (2) and insulator (Refer to 09 - Engine/Manifolds/MANIFOLD, Intake - Removal) .

GUID-08-064-031-2726572.jpg

NOTE:

The LH ignition coils are shown, the RH ignition coils are similar.

4. Unlock and disconnect the electrical connector (1) from the ignition coil.
  5. Remove the ignition coil mounting bolt (3).
  6. Pull the ignition coil (2) from cylinder head cover opening with a slight twisting action.

And now for the intake manifold removal:

09 - Engine, 3.6L / Manifolds / MANIFOLD, Intake/Removal UPPER
collapse.gif Labor Operations: Click to display a list of Labor Operations associated with this procedure

1. Disconnect and isolate the negative battery cable.
  2. Remove the engine cover (1).

GUID-09-000-000-3064403.jpg

3. Remove the resonator (1) (Refer to 09 - Engine/Air Intake System/RESONATOR, Air Cleaner - Removal) .

GUID-09-016-001-2951698.jpg

4. Disconnect the electrical connectors from the Manifold Absolute Pressure (MAP) sensor (1) and the Electronic Throttle Control (ETC) (7).
  5. Disengage the ETC harness from the clip (8) on the throttle body. Disengage the wire harness retainers (4 and 5) from the upper intake manifold near the MAP sensor and reposition the wire harness.
  6. Disconnect the following hoses from the upper intake manifold:
    • Positive Crankcase Ventilation (PCV) (3)
    • vapor purge (6)
    • brake booster (2)

GUID-09-016-001-2951766.jpg

7. Disengage the wire harness retainer (4) from the upper intake manifold support bracket (5).
  8. Disengage the wire harness retainer (3) from the studbolt (2).
  9. Remove two nuts (1), loosen the studbolt (2) and reposition the upper intake manifold support bracket (5).

10. Remove the nut (2) from the support bracket of the heater core return tube (1).

GUID-09-016-001-2712012.jpg

11. Remove two nuts (1), loosen two studbolts (3) and reposition the two upper intake manifold support brackets (2).

GUID-08-064-031-2712055.jpg

NOTE:

The upper intake manifold attaching bolts are captured in the upper intake manifold. Once loosened, the bolts will have to be lifted out of the lower intake manifold and held while removing the upper intake manifold.

NOTE:

Exercise care not to inadvertently loosen the two fuel rail attachment bolts that are in close proximity of the upper intake manifold attaching bolts.

12. Remove seven manifold attaching bolts (1) and remove the upper intake manifold (2).

GUID-09-004-010-2712735.jpg

13. Remove and discard the six upper to lower intake manifold seals (1).
  14. Cover the open intake ports to prevent debris from entering the engine.
  15. If required, remove the insulator (2) from the LH cylinder head cover.

As I stated earlier - my feeling is that your misfire is head-related. Yes, it could be a bad coil but usually that is accompanied by a dead miss and a flashing engine light, neither of which you stated are occurring. You also may have a bad injector as well. They often give the same symptom as a bad coil but sometimes not as severe. Have it diagnosed at a reputable dealer. If you end up needing a cylinder head, the head will be covered by the 10 year / 150K warranty extension which was recently issued by the factory.