NEW brakes .... NEW squeak ... damn.

Well, I may have bit my own arse. I couldnt bring myself to fork out $500 for a rear brake job on my 2012 R/T ...esp when they were just going to put new OE parts back on ... so we did the brakes ourselves ... which we've done brakes before, just never on the DJ yet.

So. We went with ATE grooved or slotted (whatever you call them) rotors and Wagner pads (this is on the rear) ......... I've read the "brake break in" procedure and have been following it as close as possible ... no aggressive driving for 500kms, no hard stops, release the brakes at red lights to prevent hot spots etc etc.

Everything has been great until Monday night, on the way to work I could hear this god awful squeeling/squeak sound coming from the pass rear ..... the sound mimics what crickets sound like at night .... its constant as long as the wheel is turning .... as soon as I press the brake pedal even slightly, the sound goes away totally.

If stopped and I start rolling, the squeak will go slow with the rotation of the wheel, getting louder and more constant the faster the wheel rotates.

Brake pedal feels fine, steering feels fine, no shake, no grinding BUT I can smell the rear brake somewhat after I've parked, not alot, but enough to know what Im smelling when I walked behind the DJ .......... so ...... what have we done?

-- oh and one more thing, I drive approx 30 mins to and from work 50/50 city and highway ...... the sound isnt there except for abit of screech when coming to a gradual stop (pulling out of the parking lot) ...... the sound is there constantly after I've been driving for 15-20 mins .... --

Edited by sexyRTboi

This sounds like your pads are wiggling around. Annoying yes, but not causing damage. There are two clips that hold the pad snug to avoid this. If you reused the old ones that's the cause. You need to replace the clips each time. A way to fix this is easy but you need to take everything apart again. You can purchase new clips and install them, and I always use a " anti-noise" coating.

Every auto parts store sells a version of it. It's kind of a cream that's gets sticky. Apply the "cream" to the OUTSIDE (the metal side, not the pad side" of the the brake pad, reinstall the pads, and the squeak will be gone. A common mistake. Don't forget, you need to turn the caliper piston in, not just compress it!

i did my 2011 and didnt have no problems, hope you get it fixed. but check your pins and grease them as that has been suggested but as for using a anti-noise compound with wagner pads according to the paperwork that comes with the pads they say that will void their warranty dont know why but i use wagner all the time and have never used the compound and never had any problems with them good luck and report back..

Yes, lubricate the guide pins and lubricate where the pads make contact with the clips just like in the pic here:

howto_1012118_600.jpg

Also, starting Friday ATE pads are going for 50% off at CanTire....I think I'll get a set of front pads and store them when needed next time. The rears I have from the last special.