Bugs!

xcaliber81

The guts seems to have marked my brand new car only after 1 day in the sun really? I dont want to say they etched to me thats what it looks like, after only 1 day in the sun seroiusly. Is a machine polish going to fix it seeimg as how its only been 1 day? I am pretty good at polishing and have all my own stuff.

Good ol elbow grease, soft sponge and soapy water. I have do do mine about once a week. They meka special cleaners for it, but I'm afraid to use that for fear of paint damage. The key is getting them off before they have a chance to "set" or harden.

Yea I havent had time to wax it and I knew that bugs and paint dont play together I just didnt know the damage was that fast. Ill try the claybar once more cause I was in a hurry to get my window tint repaired.

Just now I tried the claybar once more and as said above I guess I needed more elbow grease cause there coming off now thanks.

Edited by xcaliber81

I could tell tree saps are much tougher than bugs. I tried so much brand for those sap but its still there. Much harder than my top coat. I did wet cotton with bug remover and soak these hardened tree saps but to no avail, still stuck in my hood. The more i scrub its just the clear coat around it that gets scrathed.

• 7 months later...

the dollar store has "work gloves" white cotton with little black beads on the palm side ..... keep good and wetand...... soft enough not to cause damage but cleans bugs/bumpy stuff off easy and super cheap ..... so you can scrap some for wheels :)

I use Turtle Wax as You Dry, and bugs do not stick. Rain-X keeps them from sticking to the glass.

There are cleaners for the clear coat. Since it just happened, the guts may not have gotten through to the paint.

Here in sunny and hot Florida during the twice yearly 'love bug' invasion, I get swamped with thousands of paint ruining bug guts (I think their stomach acid is the real culprit) and the windshield at times so covered in the black bodied and winged bugs I have to stop and wash some away to see the road clearly (it is not a good idea to try using your windshield wipers and water/fluid to remove them while driving as that usually smears them and worsens the problem)! What I have used over the years to avoid paint damage from said 'love bugs' is cooking spray with whatever type oil that's in it (butter, olive oil, canola, etc.) and there are many brands. I clean the front of the vehicle then apply a somewhat moderate amount of the spray on the front area (avoiding the windshield and radiator fins and a lighter coat on the lights) but not so much that's it runs or drips. Usually when the bugs hit a lot of them slide off and some stick but they normally wash right off when I get to my destination. This is not intended to be advice on how to repell bugs or avoid paint damage on vehicles, it usually works for me... but might not work for others. Good quality wax, polishes and/or other applications probably work well and will most likely last longer as they usually don't wash away quickly.