Spare Tire Cover

I purchased my Journey 2 weeks ago and it had NO spare tire. The "check engine" light came on and stayed on so they had to replace a sensor (in a brand new car) and when the did that they put the spare tire and jack they had to order on. Upon looking at it from behind, the tire hangs below the bumper. It is ugly and they even have it turned so the white writing on the tire shows. I call the service dept and the advisor acted like he didn't know anything about it, said he would check in to it and call me back. Then I called the service manager and when I told him about it, he said yea, he remembered them calling wherever they get their parts from and asking about it yesterday! They DID know about it and probably thought they would be able to "pass it off"! NONE of the Journeys on their lot have spare tires that "show". They fed me some bull about that is the tire they sent according to my VIN #. Are ALL Dodge employees liars? I am really having issues about the honesty of this dealership. They also had to order the flash light and remote control of the DVD player that was missing when I purchase it. What a rip off this has been and it has only been two weeks. I shudder to thiink about what is yet to come! :banghead:

I purchased my Journey 2 weeks ago and it had NO spare tire. The "check engine" light came on and stayed on so they had to replace a sensor (in a brand new car) and when the did that they put the spare tire and jack they had to order on. Upon looking at it from behind, the tire hangs below the bumper. It is ugly and they even have it turned so the white writing on the tire shows. I call the service dept and the advisor acted like he didn't know anything about it, said he would check in to it and call me back. Then I called the service manager and when I told him about it, he said yea, he remembered them calling wherever they get their parts from and asking about it yesterday! They DID know about it and probably thought they would be able to "pass it off"! NONE of the Journeys on their lot have spare tires that "show". They fed me some bull about that is the tire they sent according to my VIN #. Are ALL Dodge employees liars? I am really having issues about the honesty of this dealership. They also had to order the flash light and remote control of the DVD player that was missing when I purchase it. What a rip off this has been and it has only been two weeks. I shudder to thiink about what is yet to come! :banghead:

Sounds like your "Journey" has not had a pretty start. When I got mine they did not have a second pair of keys. And then they were trying to charge me for them. Um no I don't think so! Are there any other dealers you can go to? Well you did not mention the headphones missing. At least they did not forget everything :D

• 2 weeks later...

I didn't get any spare tyre.

All we get here on the R/T in the UK is a silly pump that has some sort of chemical in it to blow up the tyre and seal it. I imagine that even if it is a small punture the sealant will wreck the tyre -and God knows what a new one will cost.

I believe the Mazda RX8's have the same system.

Cheers!

Well, they finally decided to take a spare off one of the other Journeys on the lot and change it out with mine.(the one that was too big) So now it is tucked up in the slot it is supposed to be in, but I am afraid if I ever have to use it, it is going to be too small and the car will be "lop-sided". They assured me it would be fine, and the spare is a "donut" type not meant to drive over 50 miles on and ALL donuts are smaller than the permanent tires. Sure hope they are right!

• 10 months later...

Can anyone with a R/T with 19'' wheels help me out?

I've just been to my local (UK) Dodge dealer and they want to charge me nearly £300 for a space saver wheel/tyre, winch and cover. Before I go ahead and get the parts can someone take a photo of their spare wheel parts, and also some photos of how the tyre hangs under the car. If there are any part numbers stamped on the parts that would help me out too, just to make sure I get the right bits.

Many thanks.

• 2 weeks later...

My 2010 sxt came with the Kumho and I was told and have the brochure that for the first 3 or 4 years, if any tire blew i would get a new one no questions asked.

As for the 'donut' spare, its pretty common the past few years to get one or your left with a tire pump/sealant and roadside assistance.