Typical oil monitoring system OCIs?

B4ZINGA

It's been over five years since I had a car with an oil monitoring system and it typically lit up around 3,000 miles (2003 Grand Prix). On my 300M, I typically do a 5,000 mile OCI, and Blackstone Labs told me I should be able to go to 7,000 miles on the oil I use.

My Journey is at 3800 miles on the factory fill, no sign of the OMS light. When is the typical first service? It's the first car I've owned with 4-figure mileage and I've heard that new engines tend to need a first oil change sooner than usual.

I put over 30k of hard mileage on mine and I think I've only seen that oil change come on twice. It's the most inaccurate oil life monitoring on a modern vehicle. I understand it usage based and not mileage based but has no way to check the actual percentage of oil life remaining.

I put over 30k of hard mileage on mine and I think I've only seen that oil change come on twice. It's the most inaccurate oil life monitoring on a modern vehicle. I understand it usage based and not mileage based but has no way to check the actual percentage of oil life remaining.

Both of my current Dodge vehicles oil change lights go on when a change is necessary... I would get it checked out because it certainly shouldn't go that long... BTW, no manufacturer has an accurate OCI indicator... Its all a guess based on different characteristics of your driving. The ones that give you a "percent oil life" are a gimmick at best.

Both of my current Dodge vehicles oil change lights go on when a change is necessary... I would get it checked out because it certainly shouldn't go that long... BTW, no manufacturer has an accurate OCI indicator... Its all a guess based on different characteristics of your driving. The ones that give you a "percent oil life" are a gimmick at best.

I liken all these systems to "smart" idiot lights....lol

Still need to physically check the level and condition of all fluids on your vehicle on some sort of routine basis. Never rely on just the car only to tell you.

Always check my fluids twice a month, minimum, although I must admit the TPMS has me spoiled...just go to the EVIC to get the latest pressures for an "eyeball" on the actual pressure of each tire.

I change my oil once a year or sooner if the unit tells me to. The first EVIC notice on mine came after 9,300 miles. It comes on once per year, usually after 8500-9200 miles. I live out in the boonies so a "short drive" for me is 34 miles, usually 50-150 miles for stores/shopping. No "stop and go" short trips, so I get much longer life. I've had my oil tested (years ago) when I had the Hemi Commander and I've come to trust the EVIC system. The oil tests actually indicated that I was good to go for even longer, but, the EVIC warning is what I use, as it comes on with a frequency I can live with and I know from previous testing that the oil is still good at that point.

I liken all these systems to "smart" idiot lights....lol

Still need to physically check the level and condition of all fluids on your vehicle on some sort of routine basis. Never rely on just the car only to tell you.

Well said JK! :) Routine fluid checks may also avoid starting threads that your dipstick is dry. For me after a certain mileage if the oil gets a little too dark for my liking I'm changing the oil regardless if the OC indicator lights up or not.

My daily commute is 6 miles round trip of pure stop-n-go. Sometimes I'll be pleasantly surprised and have to sit through only 2-3 traffic signal cycles per intersection. Most of the time it's 5-6 cycles. If traffic is bad, 10+ cycles. Takes 40 minutes to drive 3 miles if I don't spot the backup and take the empty side roads instead (which still involve heavy traffic). Troy is busy replacing huge swaths of concrete on one of the cross roads between the lab and my apartment, which isn't helping.

I'm at 3800 miles now, so that's why I got to thinking about it. I'm thinking I'll have it done either when the light comes on, or at 5,000 miles. Whichever comes first. I used to do 5,000 OCIs on my Special with synthetic oil before the lab told me I could do 7,000 miles, which puts that car at fewer than one change per year...

My daily commute is 6 miles round trip of pure stop-n-go. Sometimes I'll be pleasantly surprised and have to sit through only 2-3 traffic signal cycles per intersection. Most of the time it's 5-6 cycles. If traffic is bad, 10+ cycles. Takes 40 minutes to drive 3 miles if I don't spot the backup and take the empty side roads instead (which still involve heavy traffic). Troy is busy replacing huge swaths of concrete on one of the cross roads between the lab and my apartment, which isn't helping.

I'm at 3800 miles now, so that's why I got to thinking about it. I'm thinking I'll have it done either when the light comes on, or at 5,000 miles. Whichever comes first. I used to do 5,000 OCIs on my Special with synthetic oil before the lab told me I could do 7,000 miles, which puts that car at fewer than one change per year...

We are almost same daily commute.. Would you mind if i ask your fuel economy. Mine sits on 16L/100km pure city driving. 11200km right now on my r/t awd. Is it normal or still a bit higher. It improves 1L/100kms since my best pure city driving last year was17L/100kms.

We are almost same daily commute.. Would you mind if i ask your fuel economy. Mine sits on 16L/100km pure city driving. 11200km right now on my r/t awd. Is it normal or still a bit higher. It improves 1L/100kms since my best pure city driving last year was17L/100kms.

The worst I have seen was about 16-17 MPG, or 14.7-13.8 L/100km. I've yet to consume one full tank with strictly commuting, since I drive a lot to the gym, post office, and grocery store after the rush when the traffic is better and I don't spend much time sitting.

Ha! It would be quicker to walk or ride a bike! Screw that commute...

Ha! It would be quicker to walk or ride a bike! Screw that commute...

I tell myself that every time... I'm moving at the end of the year hopefully into a house. If it remains within 5 miles of the office, I'm investing in a bicycle and leaving the Journey and M at home.