2014 Journey, which antenna's are where?

I'm trying to figure out where each antenna is located on my 2014 Journey.

I believe the GPS is located on the front windshield as show below.

Dodge%20Journey%202014%20GPS%20Antenna.j

I think the main antenna show below is for the AM, FM and Sirius radios.

Dodge%20Journey%202014%20AM%2C%20FM%2C%2

The only two left that I have no idea where they are located are the ones for the Remote lock/unlock and the Remote start. I'm guessing that they may share an antenna with another radio.

Anyone know if this is correct and if not whats what?

Thanks

Haven't really thought that much about it... I have a 2013 and I don't have the box in the first picture, however, I do have GPS along with every other option except for the backseat DVD. Not sure what that box in your picture is for. I've always assumed that all the antennas (AM, FM, Sirius and GPS) were in the unit on the back of the DJ (your second picture). I have AM, FM, Sirius and GPS in my RAM truck. In the truck, the AM and FM are from a standard whip antenna on the fender while the Sirius and AFIK, the GPS, comes from an antenna plate like the DJ's minus the mast that sticks up and it is on the back of the truck's cab on the passenger side (picture the DJ's minus the conning tower and short whip antenna, just a smooth arrow shaped unit). To the best of my knowledge, the GPS is part of the Sirius antenna (the long arrow head part); a dual purpose Sirius/GPS antenna.

Edited by webslave

The roof antenna serves the GPS and all radio bands as outlined below. The remote start/keyless entry antenna is built into the Radio Frequency Hub (RF Hub), also as outlined below. I don't recognize the box next to your rearview mirror. It looks aftermarket to me but I don't know - my 2013 does not have that module, but is equipped with Nav, Satellite and Remote Start.

08 - Electrical/8A - Audio/Video/Entertainment/Connectivity/ANTENNA, Satellite, Audio/Description DESCRIPTION

GUID-08-050-014-2445572.jpg

If the vehicle is equipped with satellite audio, a combined antenna for AM/FM and satellite and navigation is used. For AM/FM only, the antenna looks similar and is mounted in the same location. For more information (Refer to 08 - Electrical/8A - Audio and Video/ANTENNA, Satellite - Removal) .

08 - Electrical/8E - Electronic Control Modules/MODULE, Radio Frequency (RF Hub)/Description DESCRIPTION
GUID-08-057-470-3660615.jpg

The RF Hub (2) is located above the headliner at the tailgate opening (1). The Remote Start Antenna (if equipped) is connected directly to it.

The electronic functions of the Radio Frequency Hub (RF-Hub) supports or controls the following:

• Immobilizer - Kills the engine when there is an unauthorized attempt to steal the vehicle.
  • Remote Keyless Entry - This feature allows the FOBIK to lock, unlock or activate the Panic alert. If the vehicle is equipped with the Remote Start feature the operating distance is approximately 91.5 meters (300 feet). If it is not equipped with Remote Start the operating distance is approximately 20 meters (66 ft.).
  • Keyless Go - With an authorized FOBIK in the vehicle this allows the operator to start and run the vehicle by pressing the Start/Stop Button (SSB) on the Keyless Ignition Node (KIN).
  • Passive Entry - The Passive Entry feature of the RF-Hub allows the operator, with an authorized FOBIK in their possession, to open a locked front door or liftgate by simply lifting the handle. The FOBIK must be within approximately 1.5 meters (5 ft.) of the door/liftgate. Once all the doors and the liftgate are closed, the operator can lock the vehicle by pressing the lock switch on the door handle.
  • Electronic Steering Column Lock - The ELV/ESCL is only used on some export vehicles. When there is an authorized FOBIK in the front seat area, the Steering Column Lock will unlock the column when the Start/Stop button on the KIN is pressed to the Run position and will lock the column when the button is pressed to the Stop position.
  • Keyless Ignition Node (KIN) dimming control - The RF-Hub controls the illumination to the Keyless Ignition Node (KIN).
  • Remote Start - This feature allows the operator to start or stop the engine from outside the vehicle. The FOBIK cannot be farther from the vehicle than approximately 91.5 meters (300 ft.).
Edited by Journeyman425

The box on the windshield is not aftermarket, it's totally factory. I'm trying to find a wiring harness diagram to see what goes where. I'm wondering if they moved the GPS to the windshield so it gets better coverage. I'm assuming it would be the GPS since it's on the lower microwave frequency than the Sirius radio and thus the antenna would be larger. That way the smaller Sirius antenna would better font in the antenna group with the AM/FM antenna.

There are two RF connection on the Radio and I'm still trying to find out which is which. If everything goes through the RF hub then why two? If something is separate which one is it.

If you're wondering why all the fuss it's because I'm looking to add my Amateur Radio Antennas and keep them from distracting from the over all look rather than having the Journey look like a porcupine.

Question on the Antenna prior to the 2014? How many coax connections come out of it with or with GPS but with Sirius? I'm guessing that one comes out for the AM/FM and one for the Sirius and maybe one more if you have GPS although it could share the Sirius.

The unit is just to the right of the antenna mounted in the large black area of the glass. The part in the middle is the cover for the wires to the mirror. If you don't have GPS and you have it then it's not the GPS antenna.

I did talk to a fellow last night that makes disguised antennas and he was telling me that newer cars don't usually put the GPS antenna there anymore. They are putting them under the dash on a plate that makes it very hard to tamper with. In fact many of the new cars GPS antennas are not even connected to the radio but are connected to the CAM bus so any device on the vehicle can get location and distance information. They believe that this it's being done so that data can be recorded to track mileage among other things. Don't know if that's true but can you say big brother is watching. :rant: :soapbox:

If the GPS antenna is not with the other then they have an antenna that will fit the journey :) but it costs $385 :cry: , which is basically paying for another radio before getting the radio, and that's the Amateur Radio price.

I'll be at the dealers today taking care of a small issue and the person I'll be talking to said he'll get me with one of the Tech's that totally knows the entire wiring and all of the electronics on the Journey. He's the "guru" and should be able to answer any questions I have. I'll report back so everyone else can benefit from the information.

I still have no clue as to what that box is for, but, I can't imagine MOPAR changing the antenna system from what they've been using. That AM/FM/Sirius/GPS unit (the one in the second picture) is used on all of the MOPAR vehicles and is universal in application. Just like the wiring harness, if you don't have an option, the "base" equipment doesn't really change. No fog lights on your car? The connectors are behind the bumper. No tow package? The connector for the 4 pin harness and lights is behind the rear bumper. While the control box for the GPS unit may be located under the dash or seats (there would be centralized box to provide speed, direction, and location to various devices via the CANbus), the basic receiver has to have a view of the sky...I've got many GPS devices, a lot of them portable, and if you take them inside or even under the tin roof on my deck, they no longer work...they have to be able to "see" at least 3 satellites to provide location (triangulation) and elevation (calculated by satellite azimuth). That is why the portable units have windshield mounts or, for laptops, a USB antenna that has to be placed where it can "see" the sky. It doesn't take a lot to mask a satellite's signal. Snow on my DirecTV antenna, heavy rain, even the leaves on the trees will block Sirius signals.

There is zero advantage to taking the GPS receiver unit out of the roof top unit and putting it behind a sloped piece of glass that would have the metal roof deflect some satellites from reception depending on azimuth. It is possible that they moved the RF Hub from the rear interior metalwork, to the windshield, to perhaps, enhance the reception of remote start, unlock and lock, security signals, etc. Unfortunately, access, good access, to a parts listing for the 2014s has been elusive, so, I can't even troll for that windshield part in the first picture.

Talked to the Tech and got the skinny. The device I thought was the GPS antenna was the rain sensor. When I told the Tech that I thought it was the GPS he agreed it looked like one but it was the rain sensor.

So there are two cables coming out of the antenna, one for the AM/FM and the other is the Sirius/GPS. I'll have to see if that changes the price of the replacement disguised antenna.

In theory the antenna should be quite simple. The Sirius/GPS does not change other than placing a trap inline to make sure none of the transmitter RF makes it's way to the radio. Making a AM/FM/VHF/UHF antenna and splitter/trap is very straight forward. Putting it all together so it looks and works good is where the expense comes in.

I need to ask the guy in the parts department if they have one so I can check it out. I need to see if it has a built in amplifier for any of the antennas. Now to see if I can find the part numbers.

Thanks guys for you comments.

Edited by Timon

I started to suggest the rain sensor idea, but, thought that MOPAR had gotten away from that, at least, that design. I had a box very similar to that in my '08 Jeep Hemi Commander Limited. Like my '13 DJ R/T, it was loaded with everything except the backseat DVD (we are in our 60's, no kids, no grandkids and have no use for a backseat DVD), anyway, I digress. One of the options on the Jeep was "automatic windshield wiper operation". It utilized a box, similar to the one in the OP's photo, that looked through the windshield and detected diffusion of light (light from rain drops causes diffusion) and would turn the windshield wipers on and would even change the wiper speed based on how hard it was raining. It didn't work very well, in fact, I turned it off...it was very annoying in that it would come on when I didn't think it was necessary and would smear the windshield or it would come on when a bug hit in the vicinity. I thought MOPAE had given up on the idea...I had actually complained about the system in one of the "Jeep Owner's Surveys". I hadn't seen the system since then and it wasn't an option on the '13 DJ line; maybe they improved the sensor and/or software and are giving it a go again. As for which models it is on, the Jeep only had them on the "highest" trim line (at that time the "Limited" line), so, that may be why the SXT version doesn't have them or your SXT didn't get the trim level added as an option; it wasn't "standard" equipment.

I started to suggest the rain sensor idea, but, thought that MOPAR had gotten away from that, at least, that design. I had a box very similar to that in my '08 Jeep Hemi Commander Limited. Like my '13 DJ R/T, it was loaded with everything except the backseat DVD (we are in our 60's, no kids, no grandkids and have no use for a backseat DVD), anyway, I digress. One of the options on the Jeep was "automatic windshield wiper operation". It utilized a box, similar to the one in the OP's photo, that looked through the windshield and detected diffusion of light (light from rain drops causes diffusion) and would turn the windshield wipers on and would even change the wiper speed based on how hard it was raining. It didn't work very well, in fact, I turned it off...it was very annoying in that it would come on when I didn't think it was necessary and would smear the windshield or it would come on when a bug hit in the vicinity. I thought MOPAE had given up on the idea...I had actually complained about the system in one of the "Jeep Owner's Surveys". I hadn't seen the system since then and it wasn't an option on the '13 DJ line; maybe they improved the sensor and/or software and are giving it a go again. As for which models it is on, the Jeep only had them on the "highest" trim line (at that time the "Limited" line), so, that may be why the SXT version doesn't have them or your SXT didn't get the trim level added as an option; it wasn't "standard" equipment.

I have the thing on the window though, which makes me think that isn't what it is... At first I didn't really care, now I'm curious as hell... Hmm....

GUID-08-057-470-3660615.jpg

I tried to see the connections to the antenna but I cannot see it. It looks like some items need to be removed first.

Can you post the drawing that shows the installation of the antenna with the connections for both the AM/FM and Satellite cables? It would make planing a bit easier rather than wait till the head liner is pulled out of the way.

Thanks

It didn't work very well, in fact, I turned it off...it was very annoying in that it would come on when I didn't think it was necessary and would smear the windshield or it would come on when a bug hit in the vicinity.

Both my previous cars (so going back 10 years), one Renault and one Citroen, had a rain sensor and both worked very well, in fact I was annoyed by the fact that the Journey/Freemont didn't have it.

However, it didn't turn on the wipers automatically, it just controlled the speed.

The truck has a speed sensitive variable wiper setup - the faster you go, the faster the variable sweep is, but, on the Jeep, the sensor actually activated the wipers, just like the automatic headlights do (it gets dark and the lights come on; again a little sensitive for my tastes, but, not as annoying as the wipers). If it misted, or thought it did, even if it was a mist from the car ahead of you running their windshield cleaner and the mist floated back to your car, the windshield wiper would start, smear the windshield and then stop...then, I'd have to clean my windshield so that I could see through it. Like I said, I disabled it. The automatic headlights are also a bit sensitive. I live out in the woods...late afternoon, if I go under a bunch of trees, the headlights come on (the Jeep, the Ram and the DJ) and then when I get out from under the overhang, they go back off, then under some more trees and they come back on. I'm sure it is annoying if I happen to following someone..."what's that fool back there doing, lights on, lights off, lights on...you get the idea, but, the auto windshield wipers were a nightmare. The speed sensitive variable wiper is just fine though.

This is such a PITA, I wanted to check the part numbers for the antennas on my 2014 Journey but I cannot find any online site, including the official Mopar site, that show the 2014 parts but everything stops at 2013. What the heck is going on?

It is still "early" in the model year for 2014. A dealership has access to the parts listings, but, by and large, most others don't as it is awful early for parts replacement that wouldn't be covered a warranty. Since warranties cover the parts, most places don't bother stocking or listing those parts until the warranty period is winding down, or they feel the demand for the "add-on" market warrants the expense and website updates. It isn't cheap to handle those listings, even the web sites need to be altered to handle the additional data and display and that requires new coding and testing to verify functionality.

I tried to see the connections to the antenna but I cannot see it. It looks like some items need to be removed first.

Can you post the drawing that shows the installation of the antenna with the connections for both the AM/FM and Satellite cables? It would make planing a bit easier rather than wait till the head liner is pulled out of the way.

Thanks

I don't find any more diagrams than what I posted above, but did find this descriptive if it helps you at all:

08 - Electrical/8A - Audio/Video/Entertainment/Connectivity/CABLE, Antenna, Satellite/Description

The satellite coaxial antenna cables run from the radio to the roof mounted antenna.

There are two coaxial cables that run in series. The first cable runs from the back of the radio through the instrument panel harness to the yellow fakra connector in the right cowl area. The second coaxial runs from the right cowl area up the right A-Pillar into the headliner and goes to the antenna yellow fakra connector at right rear center of the headliner.

Edited by Journeyman425

2014 Journey:

Antenna base, cable and bracket part #5064793AB

Mast part #5091100AA

Module - FM Splitter which mounts to the back of the radio - part #5091095AA

Good part number but that was the non satellite version but it got me in the ball park. The satellite version is 05091973AB. What's fun is when you run that number it shows up at multiple prices on the same site but when you look further you see the pricing changes depending on the vehicle. A Sebring cost more than a Journey.

I don't find any more diagrams than what I posted above, but did find this descriptive if it helps you at all:

08 - Electrical/8A - Audio/Video/Entertainment/Connectivity/CABLE, Antenna, Satellite/Description

The satellite coaxial antenna cables run from the radio to the roof mounted antenna.

There are two coaxial cables that run in series. The first cable runs from the back of the radio through the instrument panel harness to the yellow fakra connector in the right cowl area. The second coaxial runs from the right cowl area up the right A-Pillar into the headliner and goes to the antenna yellow fakra connector at right rear center of the headliner.

That description is great, now I know when the run goes.

I'm finding more and more information based on other posts. There was one on this site about the front bumper which pointed me to an installation sheet for the front distance sensors for the EU version of the Journey. From that sheet I saw how you route from the battery area through the firewall without drilling. I wish there was an index/link on this forum for all of the installation guides so figuring out how to do things would be easier.

BTW, Anyone known how or has a install guide that shows how to remove the front upper console which holds the front reading lights? Since it's on the headliner I don't want to do it wrong and damage the headlines or the console as they are not cheap to replace.

• 1 year later...

It's been awhile but I thought I'd do an update.

The module on the top of the windshield is a humidity sensor. Found that in the online wiring diagrams. Those diagrams have come in quite handy.

The other thing I found is the location of the GPS antenna which is located on the dash according to the location drawing on the wiring diagrams.

It's been awhile but I thought I'd do an update.

The module on the top of the windshield is a humidity sensor. Found that in the online wiring diagrams. Those diagrams have come in quite handy.

The other thing I found is the location of the GPS antenna which is located on the dash according to the location drawing on the wiring diagrams.

This makes sense, as a humidity sensor. It has to be part of the Automatic HVAC system. I just went out and looked at mine. I have the box, and since it is on the passenger side, I never noticed it before. When the system is in "A", it has to know the humidity reading inside the car to know if to turn on the AC, independent of the temp settings. I always keep mine on "A" and rarely open the windows!

On the old MyGigs, the GPS antenna was on top of the radio, in some applications.

Another thing to know, a good AM/FM antenna has to be around 31" tall, in order to get good reception. The stub antenna is powered and comes on when the radio is turned on.

Edited by dhh3