Soft Brakes

I hope someone out out here can help i have a 2012 dj that has been great so far but over the weekend i was driving and hit the brakes and the pedal went to the floor i checked fluid all is good and there are no leaks i can see. now it happens all the time if you let go and pump them the get a little better I don't want to drive car till i get some advice the car only has 50,000 miles please help!!

so many poss. problems, master brake cly could be leaking a little which could be going under your carpet. also when front pads are wore out you get more travel on your pedal. check your front and rear pads also but if your fuild is staying full or losing a little. sounds like you have a leak somewhere and have air in the system. get it checked out somewhere right away if you cant find it yourself.. stay safe

thanks for the reply there has been no leaks the fluid level is at max level and i have never added any! the fluid tho looks pink is that the normal color? when i get home i will check pads and post again.

YTou need to get the vehicle to a shop, dealer, somwehere to have it looked at and fixed. Sounds like the master cylinder is the problem.

Yep. If the pedal drops to the floor, there is a leak somewhere. If there is no obvious signs of an external leak from either the master cylinder, any of the brake lines or calipers, the leak is internal in the master cylinder. If the reservoir is still full, that means its not leaking out. Probably an internal seal let go

Here is a thread from another member with the same problem. He never did report back an update?

http://www.dodgejourneyforum.com/topic/5436-dodge-journey-crd-rt-2litre-diesel/

Very few people rebuild master or wheel cylinders anymore, but we used to always go the rebuild route, unless the walls of the bore were too pitted to hone out. But if the fluid level is staying up, and the pedal drops, but you can build pressure by pumping it, then the fluid is bleeding past the piston inside the master cylinder. It can be as simple as a piece of dirt, or excessive wear on the bore, or degredation of the cup.

I am possibly making a lot of assumptions here, because I have not rebuilt a master cylinder since about 30 years ago, on a 72 Dodge Coronet I had back then. I have not had a master cylinder go bad since, and the honing stones on my hone have fallen off, so I doubt if I'd do it now anymore, except on an older car. On the 72, as I recall, the fluid level was going down fast, but there were no external leaks. It was leaking out of the master cylinder into the power assist chamber, and being sucked into the carb by the vacuum system.

Edited by Neto

• Official Dodge Support

I hope someone out out here can help i have a 2012 dj that has been great so far but over the weekend i was driving and hit the brakes and the pedal went to the floor i checked fluid all is good and there are no leaks i can see. now it happens all the time if you let go and pump them the get a little better I don't want to drive car till i get some advice the car only has 50,000 miles please help!!

• Official Dodge Support

I would recommend that you have a dealer inspect for the brake issue.

thanks for the reply there has been no leaks the fluid level is at max level and i have never added any! the fluid tho looks pink is that the normal color? when i get home i will check pads and post again.

fuild should be clear or dirty brownish if old, power steering fuild is pinkish as is the trans. fuild

I think you are looking at the wrong fluid, possibly you are looking at the power steering fluid (#2) located beside the coolant reservoire (#1)? As 2late4u mentioned the fluid should be kind of a light/clear to dark golden color. The brakes resevoire is located at #3 the top by the driver side...here is a diagram of the Journey's engine compartment.

Journe223.gif

Edited by Journey_SeXT

I think you are looking at the wrong fluid, possibly you are looking at the power steering fluid (#2) located beside the coolant reservoire (#1)? As 2late4u mentioned the fluid should be kind of a light/clear to dark golden color. The brakes resevoire is located at #3 the top by the driver side...here is a diagram of the Journey's engine compartment.

Journe223.gif

kind of was thinking the same thing Journey_SeXT